Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    May 21, 2012 @ 09:08
    Simon Dingley

Locations nodes empty on both ends despite stating "Your Courier 2 installation has access to the following locations"

So I'm finally getting around to trying kicking the tyres on Courier - I'm a bit late to the party I know!

I've installed Courier at both ends, LIVE and STAGING. Locations have been added to both config files so that LIVE should see STAGING as a location and vice versa on the other end. 

I get no location nodes displaying in either end but on the locations node I get the "Your Courier 2 installation has access to the following locations" and the location details listed in the content pane.

I've referred to the docs and can't see anything obvious. I have set the <user> node to the id of the user that exists in both installations however since passwords are hashed - is this enough? Am I missing a step?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    May 21, 2012 @ 09:20
    Per Ploug

Hi Simon

Courier doesn't even try to authenticate against the sources so you should be able to see something, no matter what you enter

The only think I can think of, is that the courier.config xml is malformed, try opening it in visual studio to spot any open / missing elements

/Per

May 21, 2012 @ 09:35
    Simon Dingley

Hey Per, thanks for the quick reply. No errors in the config file in VS or on the site, it is seeing the location because when you click the locations node, even though no child nodes are displayed the content pane shows the location details under the "Your Courier 2 installation has access to the following locations" message.

May 21, 2012 @ 09:53
    Per Ploug

So you see the locations on the right hand pane, but not in the tree? 

May 21, 2012 @ 09:54
    Simon Dingley

Correct.

May 21, 2012 @ 10:52
    Per Ploug

that is odd, could I see the <repositories> part of the config ? 

tried the web.config touch, reloading the tree? force google chrome cache refresh etc? or loaded the locations tree with javascript dev tools turned on? it should return a js error if anything is wrong.

May 21, 2012 @ 11:14
    Simon Dingley

Good call! An error on the TreeDataService.asmx call!

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Courier.Core.Repository.(XmlNode settingsXml) +43
       Umbraco.Courier.Core.Storage.RepositoryStorage.GetByAlias(String alias) +71
       Umbraco.Courier.UI.Trees.LoadRepositories.Render(XmlTree& tree) +1140
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.LoadTree(TreeRequestParams treeParams) +75
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.GetXmlTree() +140
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +55
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

May 21, 2012 @ 13:03
    Per Ploug

something is missing the courier.config could you email it to me, and I'll have a look

May 21, 2012 @ 15:16
    Simon Dingley

What address should I be sending it to?

May 22, 2012 @ 09:20
    Simon Dingley

In case anyone else can shed some light on this here is my courier.config file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration>

<security>
            <filters>
                <ipfilter>
                    <allow>*</allow>
                </ipfilter>

<userfilter>
                    <allow>*</allow>
                    <!--<deny>editor</deny>-->
                </userfilter>
            </filters>
        </security>

<settings>
            <!--
            Enable short filenames for courier files
            <enableShortFileNames>False</enableShortFileNames>

Enable the update pull dialog for courier-->
            <contextMenuEnableUpdate>False</contextMenuEnableUpdate>

<!-- This strips the resouces from courier files, resources are still transfered as normal files
                But if you depend on modifying resources from the courier file, in memory, you might want to turn this off (set to "False")-->
            <stripResourcesFromCourierFiles>True</stripResourcesFromCourierFiles>

<!-- Turn off Base64 encoding for resource transfers-->
            <disableBase64Encoding>false</disableBase64Encoding>

<!-- Enable error logging in /app_data/courier/revisions/log.txt -->
                <debugMode>true</debugMode>
            <!--    
                Generate a mindmap of extracted revisions
                <mapGraph>true</mapGraph>
            -->

<!-- overwrite modes is either Always|Never|Compare -->
            <overwrite>
                <resources>Compare</resources>
                <items>Compare</items>
                <dependencies>Compare</dependencies>
            </overwrite>

</settings>

<!-- Repository connection settings -->
        <!-- If a custom Umbraco Membership provider is used, specify login & password + set the passwordEncoding to clear: 
            <repository name="Sample" alias="sample" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">
                <url>http://sample.local</url>;
                <login>admin</login>
                <password>1234</password>
                <passwordEncoding>Clear</passwordEncoding>
            </repository>--> 
        <repositories>
                <repository name="Staging" alias="STAGING" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">
                <url>http://example.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com</url>
                <user>23</user>
                <!--<login>Courier</login>
                <password></password>
                <passwordEncoding>Clear</passwordEncoding>-->
            </repository
      </repositories>

<itemProviders>
            <folderItemProvider>
                <include>
                    <!--<folder>~/media/assets/somefolder</folder>-->
                </include>
            </folderItemProvider>

<fileItemProvider>
                <files>
                </files>
            </fileItemProvider>

<documentTypeItemProvider>
                <!-- Include all avaiable templates as dependencies, if false, only the current standard template is included -->
                <includeAllTemplates>false</includeAllTemplates>

<!-- By default we won't add the built-in datatypes as dependencies, if needed, they can be removed from the list below -->
                <!-- Only datatypes which are installed as standard, and does not have any settings are ignored -->
                <!-- to add, find the datatype in the umbracoNode table and copy its uniqueId value to a node below-->
                <ignoredDataTypes>  
                    <add key="contentPicker">A6857C73-D6E9-480C-B6E6-F15F6AD11125</add>
                    <add key="textstring">0CC0EBA1-9960-42C9-BF9B-60E150B429AE</add>
                    <add key="textboxmultiple">C6BAC0DD-4AB9-45B1-8E30-E4B619EE5DA3</add>
                    <add key="label">F0BC4BFB-B499-40D6-BA86-058885A5178C</add>
                    <add key="folderbrowser">FD9F1447-6C61-4A7C-9595-5AA39147D318</add>
                    <add key="memberpicker">2B24165F-9782-4AA3-B459-1DE4A4D21F60</add>
                    <add key="simpleeditor">1251C96C-185C-4E9B-93F4-B48205573CBD</add>
                    <add key="truefalse">92897BC6-A5F3-4FFE-AE27-F2E7E33DDA49</add>
                    <add key="contentpicker">A6857C73-D6E9-480C-B6E6-F15F6AD11125</add>
                    <add key="datepicker">5046194E-4237-453C-A547-15DB3A07C4E1</add>
                    <add key="datepickerWithTime">E4D66C0F-B935-4200-81F0-025F7256B89A</add>
                    <add key="numeric">2E6D3631-066E-44B8-AEC4-96F09099B2B5</add>
                </ignoredDataTypes>
            </documentTypeItemProvider>

<mediaItemProvider>
                <!-- Changed to false in 2.1.1 -->
                <includeChildren>false</includeChildren>
                <includeParents>false</includeParents>
            </mediaItemProvider>

<documentItemProvider>
                <includeParents>false</includeParents>
            </documentItemProvider>

<!-- Add the fully classified Class name to ignore a provider from loading... -->
            <ignore>
                <!--<add>my.namespace.*</add>-->
            </ignore>
        </itemProviders>

<itemDataResolvers>
            <files>
                <!-- add new datatype elements for data types that stores files as a path ex: /meda/223/file.png -->
                <add key="Upload">5032a6e6-69e3-491d-bb28-cd31cd11086c</add>
                <add key="Ucomponents-Filepicker">318a9c2e-3966-4979-8c1d-575c5d5f669b</add>
            </files>

<contentPickers>
                <!-- add new datatype elements for data types that stores page ids (ex: "1242" or "1726,2362,2323") -->
                <add key="contentPicker">158aa029-24ed-4948-939e-c3da209e5fba</add>
                <add key="ultimatePicker">cdbf0b5d-5cb2-445f-bc12-fcaaec07cf2c</add>

<add key="Ucomponents-XpathCheckboxlist">d2d46927-f4f8-4b1b-add7-661cc09a0539</add>
                <add key="Ucomponents-XpathDropdownlist">57a62843-c488-4c29-8125-52f51873613e</add>
                <add key="Ucomponents-AutoComplete">31aa0d5c-f8e1-4cdc-a66e-c7f8c09498ef</add>

<add key="Ucomponents-MNTP-CSV">c2d6894b-e788-4425-bcf2-308568e3d38b</add>
            </contentPickers>

<mediaPickers>
                <!-- add new datatype elements for data types that stores media ids (ex: "1242" or "1726,2362,2323") -->
                <add key="mediaPicker">EAD69342-F06D-4253-83AC-28000225583B</add>
                <add key="damp2">ef94c406-9e83-4058-a780-0375624ba7ca</add>
                <add key="Ucomponents-MNTP-CSV">c2d6894b-e788-4425-bcf2-308568e3d38b</add>
            </mediaPickers>

<keyValuePrevalueEditors>
                <!-- Prevalue editors that store values as a key value pair in the built-in umbracp prevalue storage, identified by their full class-name -->
                <add key="KeyValuePrevalueEditor">umbraco.editorControls.KeyValuePrevalueEditor</add>
            </keyValuePrevalueEditors>

<localLinks>
                <!-- Propertytypes that CAN contain locallinks (like the ones inserted with TinyMCE) -->
                <add key="TinyMCE3">5e9b75ae-face-41c8-b47e-5f4b0fd82f83</add>
                <add key="TextboxMultiple">67db8357-ef57-493e-91ac-936d305e0f2a</add>
                <add key="Textstring">ec15c1e5-9d90-422a-aa52-4f7622c63bea</add>
                <add key="Simple Editor">60b7dabf-99cd-41eb-b8e9-4d2e669bbde9</add>
            </localLinks>

<macros>
                <!-- Propertytypes that CAN contain macro mark-up (like the ones inserted with TinyMCE) -->
                <add key="TinyMCE3">5e9b75ae-face-41c8-b47e-5f4b0fd82f83</add>
                <add key="TextboxMultiple">67db8357-ef57-493e-91ac-936d305e0f2a</add>
                <add key="Textstring">ec15c1e5-9d90-422a-aa52-4f7622c63bea</add>
                <add key="Simple Editor">60b7dabf-99cd-41eb-b8e9-4d2e669bbde9</add>
            </macros>
            <templates>
                <add key="include" />            
            </templates>
        </itemDataResolvers>

<macroPropertyTypeResolvers>
            <contentPickers>
                <!-- Macro Property Types, that store Content IDs, to link to media or content -->
                <add key="Media Current">mediaCurrent</add>
                <add key="Content Subs">contentSubs</add>
                <add key="Content Random">contentRandom</add>
                <add key="Content picker">contentPicker</add>
                <add key="Content tree">contentTree</add>
                <add key="Content All">contentAll</add>
            </contentPickers>
        </macroPropertyTypeResolvers>

<resources>
        <!-- files which should not added at any time-->
        <ignore>
            <add>/bin/*.pdb</add>
            <add>/bin/*.xml</add>
            <add>/bin/AjaxControlToolkit.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Antlr3.Runtime.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/App_Browsers.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/App_global.asax.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/businesslogic.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Castle.*</add>
            <add>/bin/ClientDependency.Core.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/cms.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/controls.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Examine.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/FluentNHibernate.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/htmlagilitypack.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/interfaces.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Iron*.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/log4net.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Lucene.Net.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Microsoft.*.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/MySql.Data.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/NHibernate.*</add>
            <add>/bin/RazorEngine.*.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/System.Web.*</add>
            <add>/bin/TidyNet.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/Umbraco.Courier.*</add>
            <add>/bin/umbraco.DataLayer.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter.dll</add>
            <add>/bin/umbraco.dll</add>
        </ignore>
    </resources>

<!-- which types of relations should be supported by courier -->
        <!-- Relations are only supported between content and media out of the box -->
        <relations>
            <add>relateOnCopy</add>
            <!-- <add></add> -->        
        </relations>

</configuration>
  • Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    May 29, 2012 @ 15:01
    Simon steed

I've got a similar issue, I installed courier 2.6 on live but decided to set the locations up later however in the Courier section I cannot add any. Then I installed on my local dev domain but this time added the location. This still does not show in my locations in dev or live but I can right click on templates etc and courier them across to live.

I thought it was just me but tried using the docs in the courier section but got a 404!

Simon

• Ian Dawson 24 posts 104 karma points
    May 30, 2012 @ 16:51
    Ian Dawson

Hello,

Am having exactly the same trouble as described here. I have a feeling this could be to do with my license file.

If the license file is there this is the error that occurs when trying to expand the locations node 

(calling this webservice according to firebug

http://mydomain.com.local/umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=e09c4db785fc46b78498724190571072&id=-1&treeType=repositories&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=8.7)

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Courier.Core.Repository.(XmlNode settingsXml) +43
       Umbraco.Courier.Core.Storage.RepositoryStorage.GetByAlias(String alias) +71
       Umbraco.Courier.UI.Trees.LoadRepositories.Render(XmlTree& tree) +1139
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.LoadTree(TreeRequestParams treeParams) +75
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.GetXmlTree() +140
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +55
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +478
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +76

If I don't have the license file there then the nodes show fine. Obviously I can't connect to my live repositories though.

This is with the latest courier (2.6, installed yesterday) and umbraco 4.7.0

Thanks, Ian

May 31, 2012 @ 15:47
    Simon Dingley

I can confirm the same, if I remove the license file the tree renders as expected.

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    May 31, 2012 @ 16:34
    Anthony Candaele

I got this problem after upgrading Contour. Downloading this nightly license file and dropping it in the /bin folder solved the problem:

http://nightly.umbraco.org/umbraco.licensing/Umbraco.Licensing.dll

hope this helps,

Anthony

May 31, 2012 @ 16:46
    Ian Dawson

Thanks for the info Anthony.

But, I've already tried with the updated dll and still having the same problem. We don't have contour installed here if it makes any difference.

Jun 13, 2012 @ 10:56
    Ian Dawson

Bumping this.

Any further feedback on this from the courier developers? We've paid for a license, yet are not able to use it at the moment.

Thanks, Ian

Jun 21, 2012 @ 14:03
    Per Ploug

Hey Ian

Could you send me the license file, along with all the domains you use for your setup, it must be a mismatch between the sites in your locations compared to what is allowed in the license

email: per at umbraco dk

/per

• SC Digital Services Team 104 posts 171 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 13:01
    SC Digital Services Team

Hi

We are also experiencing this problem.

We have blank instances of Umbraco 4.7.2 with Contour, Courier (both licensed) uComponents and one or two other packages (all installed through the package manager) on a localhost machine as well as our dev server.

• SC Digital Services Team 104 posts 171 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 16:45
    SC Digital Services Team

I should also say that I have tried to update the Umbraco.Licensing.dll and still no luck.

Mar 18, 2014 @ 12:47
    Simon Dingley

I'm bumping this thread because nearly 2 years on and a clean install of the latest version of Courier and this is still an issue! Has anyone found a solution to this or know why it is happening?

Mar 18, 2014 @ 14:15
    Simon Dingley

I know why the tree is empty because the following returns an empty JSON object but I don't know the cause and no error appears to be thrown anywhere?

/umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=ef9a7b15cc7245679f02d048eeb3ca97&id=-1&treeType=repositories&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=71

Jun 02, 2014 @ 09:21
    Simon Dingley

This is a licensing issue but we still don't know the cause however Per has provided me an alternate license which has worked for me now on one of the sites. The issue still exists on other sites for the time being.

Simon

• Josh Wheelock 2 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 09:57
    Josh Wheelock

Hello all,

Nothing new to add here, just wondering if there is a solution to this? I have exactly the same problem. No nodes when a valid license is installed, visible nodes when it is removed. We've purchased this for a client, and are unable to use the product as of yet.

Josh

Jan 06, 2015 @ 10:10
    Simon Dingley

Have you contacted support? They've still not resolved this to the best of my knowledge and rather than find a solution to the problem they provided my customer with an open license to get around the issue. Perhaps if more people come forward it might get investigated further.

Simon

• Josh Wheelock 2 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 10:24
    Josh Wheelock

I've submitted a ticket, but no response yet. I've also attempted calling, but was unable to reach anyone, so I left my number. Again, no response. I've also emailed Per, he inquired about the same things in this thread (location/repo, domain). I respoonded, but am still awaiting a follow up from him. I wouldn't mind this so much if this wasn't a paid product.

Josh

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 19:41
    Paul Sterling

@Josh -

Almost for certain it's that the configured license hostnames don't match the domain you are accessing - in case that's not clear in this thread.  We'll have a look at your support request.

@Simon 

I think there's a mis-understanding here - it doesn't appear to be an issue per se bu rather related to a specific license's configuration.  At least as far as I can tell looking at this thread.  If that's not correct could you point the discussion is a more detailed direction?

Thanks!

• DWT 12 posts 32 karma points
    Jul 31, 2015 @ 14:15
    DWT

I am having this issue too but the locations sometimes appear and sometimes don't everytime you refresh.

Any solutions?

Jul 31, 2015 @ 14:26
    Paul Sterling

This issue has nearly always come down to either the license hostname bindings not matching the hostnames being used, or using a courier express license where locations are not available. Verify both of those and, if your hostnames match your license and you have a courier full license please post details and repro steps or contact support from your umbraco.com account

Jul 31, 2015 @ 14:34
    DWT

Thanks Paul. A third party server who manages all our umbraco servers issues the license for us and he confirmed the license is correct, that's why we are confused.

The one main weird issue we are having is these repositories sometimes appear and sometimes don't – we have to keep refreshing to try our luck, which is frustrating.

See attached screenshots.

Can you help?

With nodes No nodes

Jul 31, 2015 @ 14:51
    Paul Sterling

@DWT It could be a browser issue or something else...there's really no helpful information here. Again, if you could open a support ticket from the umbraco.com account that owns the license with details and repro steps (and of course versions as you seem to be using an old v6 version) we'll have a look.

Jul 31, 2015 @ 14:55
    DWT

Thanks Paul – we moved the site few months ago, not sure if that would have an impact. But all our new Umbraco sites on this server don't have this issue.

It is on Umbraco v4 – tested on all browsers, still the same.

Jul 31, 2015 @ 15:43
    Simon Dingley

@DWT It is an issue with licensing for sure, I've had this on multiple sites and went through the support channels and it still couldn't be resolved unfortunately. Hostnames matched exactly what was on the license and because it couldn't be resolved at the time I got a license without domain restrictions but the client by that time had lost faith and never used it again.

Jul 31, 2015 @ 15:58
    Paul Sterling

The 3rd-party licensing we use does have (and has always had) its limitations and quirks. It's too bad but we've never found a better product than what we use. There seems to be many discussions over the years in this forum and on SO...the consensus is that software licensing sucks. Good thing there's no issues with the umbraco core!

As @Simon points out we can usually set up the license to "work around" all the exotic ways that IT folks set up hostnames, resolution, DNS, etc...but we need to know the details in order to have a shot at it.

Whenever I see a statement like "we moved the site few months ago" that is the immediate suspect of course...so I'd ask you to impartially look at what is different between new/old sites - or have someone else who won't skip the details do it.

For a v4 version (nearly 3-years old now) most of the responsibility falls to the user if changes have been made. I'm sure you understand.

Jul 31, 2015 @ 16:01
    DWT

Thanks guys. I will get my server team to submit a ticket.

I understand it may be a user error but despite checking the settings and permissions, we still having this random error – that's why I am trying to see if anyone could point us to a direction.

Can I ask one last question, for an umbraco site, do we have a migration checklist – even basic ones to double check against?

• Wayne 15 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 05, 2015 @ 23:59
    Wayne

Hi,

Ive also battled with Courier 2.7 on Umbraco 6.2.5 (this instance had been slowly upgraded from 4.2.x)

In the past (on more than one installation) Ive had Courier successfully working across a multi staged deployment scenario.

I must say, I was very disappointed in the way Courier failed to work like it used to, but due to me experiencing how good it can be, I persisted till I managed to get it working in a most basic way, although never as complete as it should be.

So here is the steps I took, fixing the above + other issues reported here and there in our.umbraco. Hoping this helps someone dealing with the same;

1. Install base version - 2.7.8.2.v6

2. Apply hotfix - 2.7.8.35.hotfix.v6

3. Get this version of Umbraco.Courier.UI COU-62 - this fixes the context menu not showing the 'Courier' item

The problem described above is being caused by an incorrect entry in trees.config - the assembly definition is wrong (courtesy of the install)

alias="repositories" application="courier" title="Repositories" iconClosed="legacy" iconOpen="legacy" assembly="Umbraco.Courier.UI" type="Umbraco.Courier.UI.Trees.LoadRepositories, Umbraco.Courier.UI"
    alias="revisions" application="courier" title="Revisions" iconClosed="legacy" iconOpen="legacy" assembly="Umbraco.Courier.UI" type="Umbraco.Courier.UI.Trees.LoadRevisions, Umbraco.Courier.UI"
    alias="taskmanager" application="courier" title="Task manager" iconClosed="legacy" iconOpen="legacy" assembly="Umbraco.Courier.UI" type="Umbraco.Courier.UI.Trees.LoadTaskManager, Umbraco.Courier.UI"

Also I'd recommend moving Courier security to the Courier page, ensuring users who are not meant to see Courier config dont get access to its security.

So changing application from 'users' to 'Courier'

alias="courierSecurity" application="courier"

After all this I was still unable to get revisions to work, which I have used extensively in the past - maybe something in the above will give a clue to the cause.

regards

Wayne

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft