Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Cristi Vulturar 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 05, 2011 @ 17:52
    Cristi Vulturar

Courier not transferring media files

Hi,

I have the following problem with umbraco courier: whenever I transfer any media file to staging it is only transferring the item, it doesn't create on disk the corresponding file, so I have to manually copy the files in order for the media item to work.

If I try with image type items, everything works ok, it also transfers the image on disk.

• Tracey Munro 7 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 12:30
    Tracey Munro

Hi, I'm having the same problem, so I'm hoping someone has an answer.  :)

I'm using Umbraco v4.5.2 with a development and production setup, using Courier.  I can add a pdf document as a 'file' in the media section of the dev instance, then right-click and "Transfer to production" and I get a success message.  Then if I log in to the production instance of Umbraco I can see the file in the media section, but there is no actual folder or file on the server so the link goes to "file not found".

The strange thing is, it doesn't happen every time, with some files it works straight away.  Could this be something to do with filesize?  Does courier have a filesize limit?

Really looking forward to hearing from anyone who knows more about this than me.  Thanks in advance!!

• KPU 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 07:59
    KPU

Hi,

we have the same problem

Umbraco v4.5.2

courier 1.2

PDF's are created in staging, when transfer to live it says "success" on live the node is created, forlders are created but physically pdf are not created, it throws a 404,

it works perfectly with images,

looking forward to hear for anyone,

• James Drever 118 posts 149 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 17:31
    James Drever

I'm also having this problem.  I've reported it to Umbraco Pro Support, I'll post back if I get a response.

James.

Mar 29, 2011 @ 17:35
    Tracey Munro

Brilliant, thanks James.  :)  Looking forward to the response.

Apr 01, 2011 @ 16:53
    James Drever

Word from Umbraco Core team is that this bug is fixed in Courier 2.  No word yet on fix for Courier 1.x

Apr 01, 2011 @ 17:12
    Tracey Munro

Well that's a start I guess.  I've heard good things about Courier 2.  Considering it's only recently been released as Beta, does anyone know when it will be properly released?  Or if it will be possible to upgrade an existing Umbraco site to Courier 2?

Fingers crossed we can get something sorted a little sooner for our current Courier problem...

Apr 01, 2011 @ 17:38
    James Drever

Courier 2 final release within weeks, I'm told, dependent on the progress of the beta testing. It does look really good (I'm trying to test it at the moment), but yes, it would be good to have a more imminent solution. Don't see any reason why upgrading a site from Courier 1>2 should be problematic.

Apr 05, 2011 @ 17:22
    James Drever

OK, think I've found the cause for PDFs not getting transferred by Courier.  If you look in courier.config, there is a default list of file extensions that Courier will handle. By default, it doesn't include PDFs.  Just add an entry for PDF file extensions, recycle the application pool and you're up & running.

<validFileExtensions>
            <!-- to allow all types of files add an fileExtension element with an asterik ("*") -->
            <fileExtension>gif</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>jpg</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>jpeg</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>png</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>doc</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>ppt</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>xls</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>docx</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>pptx</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>xslx</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>txt</fileExtension>
            <fileExtension>pdf</fileExtension>
          </validFileExtensions>

CORE TEAM - 1. Shouldn't Courier signal that it isn't going to transfer a file because its not in the specified list of file extensions?  I noticed that when I tried to transfer a page with a PDF document as an upload file page property, it signalled the problem, but if you transfer PDFs direct from the media folder, it doesn't.  2. Shouldn't PDF be one of the default file extensions?

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Apr 05, 2011 @ 22:17
    Chris Mahoney

Hmm, PDF is in there by default for me (Courier 1.3) and it still doesn't work properly... did it actually work for you? I see that you're on 1.2 and I wonder whether I should try downgrading.

Apr 05, 2011 @ 22:20
    Chris Mahoney

Oops, that was "KPU" on version 1.2. James, which version do you have?

Apr 06, 2011 @ 11:30
    James Drever

Hi Chris, I'm using 1.3, and yes I can now transfer PDFs successfully (as in the file gets transferred to the media folder structure) when previously I was getting 404s when trying to access the transferred PDFs. I've upgraded through a number of Courier versions, which may have affected what's in the courier.config by default. James.

• KPU 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 12:28
    KPU

Yep it worked for me aswell it's just the config value that needs to be added !!

Thankyou James!!

Apr 06, 2011 @ 22:20
    Chris Mahoney

It's strange that it worked for both of you, but not for me. However, I added a * entry instead and that's fixed it :)

Thanks for your help!

Apr 07, 2011 @ 03:55
    Chris Mahoney

Edit: Actually, no, that didn't fix it for me. If I transfer a specific media item or folder then it'll copy the PDFs correctly, but I still get 404s when transferring a content page with linked PDFs.

Apr 07, 2011 @ 10:22
    James Drever

Chris, How are you linking to the PDFs?  I find if I use a media picker as a macro parameter, Courier doesn't update the link correctly. That's been filed as separate bug for Courier 1.3, and I'm told is fixed in 2.0. But it does cope properly if the PDF is linked to via an upload datatype.

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:11
    Chris Mahoney

I'm not sure; I didn't build the site and have just ended up maintaining it and I'm not completely familiar with datatypes etc.

PDFs are uploaded through Media > Create > File > Browse and upload file (does that make it an upload datatype?)

They're linked from content pages by using the "Insert/edit link" toolbar button then choosing them from the Media tab.

When we do a Transfer using Courier, it successfully transfers images but not PDFs. I've found that I can manually transfer the PDFs from the Media section, but when I do a transfer on the content page it not only doesn't transfer the PDFs but it even deletes (from the destination) the ones that have already been manually transferred. I'm starting to wonder whether I have a permissions problem or something similar, although everything seems to match the documentation that I've seen.

When you were having issues were they pure "not copying" issues, or was it deleting existing files for you too?

Thanks,
    Chris

Apr 11, 2011 @ 09:34
    James Drever

Hi Chris,

sorry for delayed response.

Just to clarify, I've had a number of different problems with Courier - the particular one I've been describing here is just the failure to upload PDFs direct from the media folder- in which case they just don't get uploaded.

With your upload of content pages - yes I've also seen issues like this.  What seems to happen is that Courier doesn't update the link in the page - as Umbraco basically stores the media links as urls, and the documents will be in different media folders on the two different servers.  Does the link in the media folder work on the destination server once Courier has done its update, or is that also not working?  I sometimes find I have to reload the document and recreate the link.

I'm sorry to say this, because I love Umbraco, but Courer 1.x is a bit of a nightmare, and makes migrating content a fraught process.  I'm waiting for Courer 2, and have had to effectively delay rollout of some areas of our development programme because I just can't trust Courer in its current form.

James.

Apr 11, 2011 @ 22:12
    Chris Mahoney

Hi James,

First of all there's no need to apologise; you're not providing paid support or anything :)

After some more issues late last week we've put Courier on hold and we're just updating directly on the live server for now. Once Courer 2 comes out I'll look at it, and I'm hopeful that it'll resolve the issues.

But for now let's just leave it, and we'll see what happens...

Chris

• Maneesh 13 posts 33 karma points
    May 29, 2015 @ 15:14
    Maneesh

Hi All,

I have the problem with umbraco courier.Whenever i transfer any media file like pdf,doc,xls(except image files .gif,.png,.jpeg) from staging to live(destination environment), it doesnot transferring the media files.That means, the content nodes are getting transferred, but the files like pdf,doc,xls included with in that page is not getting transferred.

But there is not having an issue with image files as I mentioned above.

The umbraco version Using is : 4.0.2.1

The courier vesion using is : 1.3

Could anyone please suggest an idea about why this is happening?

Also, please suggest the solution for fixing the same.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft