Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 16:46
    Mark Bowser

Umbraco Forms exist as JSON and don't live in DB?

We just installed a new Umbraco 7.2.6 site to do some testing of various packages. We are doing development on local versions of the site that all share the same database.

When someone creates a new form in the Forms section, it doesn't show up on everyone else's machine. I was trying to figure out if it was some sort of cache, so I deleted everything in the App_Data/ folder except access.configand packages/ and then recycled the app pool. No luck.

On a whim, I did some searching around in the file system and found App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/Data/forms/e15b9c6e-196c-4926-95dc-cab6137a056c.json on the site that had created the form. Sure enough, if I delete this .json file, I can't find the form in the backoffice anymore.

I heavily suspect that the forms are no longer stored in the database and that the json files I found are not just a cache. I took a look in the database and found these UF tables:

• UFRecordDataBit
    • UFRecordDataDateTime
    • UFRecordDataInteger
    • UFRecordDataLongString
    • UFRecordDataString
    • UFRecordFields
    • UFRecords
    • UFUserFormSecurity
    • UFUserSecurity

I just wanted to get confirmation that the form exists as json in the App_Plugins directory and has no representation in the database. Only the records, info to support those records, and some security info lives in the DB. Am I right? If I'm missing something, and the json is just a cache, where do the forms live now, and how can I regenerate the json cache files?

Thanks

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 16:50
    Per Ploug

Hi Mark

Thats correct - everything in forms, except for permissions and records have been moved to the file system

/Per

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 20:54
    Matthew Kirschner

I'm curious to know why the forms were moved from the database to the file system. It seems like that would just cause more issues, particularly for publishing and load balanced setups.

• Łukasz Bańcarz 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 10:28
    Łukasz Bańcarz

exactly - Per,why choose that approach? we cannot use the Umbraco forms in our load balanced set up on Azure

• Sentient 10 posts 60 karma points
    Dec 01, 2015 @ 05:44
    Sentient

Can there please be configuration instead, (so you can set to save to the database or to json @ a storage location commonly used such as app_data or configurable). As there are issues when running deployments to more than one environment. Perhaps the option is to just set the extensive path to a virtual directory which can be isolated from site code deployments and located to a shared mapped directory.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft