Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 17:32
    Matthew Kirschner

Contour vs. Forms vs. Umbraco - What's the deal?

With all the confusion surrounding the compatibility between Umbraco, Forms and Contour, wouldn't it make sense to have a compatibility chart or some sort of official documentation about this on Our? I've seen a couple topics asking about the difference between Contour and Forms, but they are filled with nothing but speculation by community members; no comments from anyone in charge. Why isn't Umbraco Forms mentioned on the Umbraco Products page? It has it's own page, but you have to search to find it.

I've been incredibly unhappy with Umbraco Forms due to several bugs, missing features, and a lack of transparency in development. I would have gone with Contour if I knew it was supported. Assuming it really does work on v7, I suggest HQ remove Forms and place it back in the oven; it wasn't done cooking yet.

Has anyone tried to switch from Forms to Contour? It is clearly the better product and I think I'm done investing any more time into Forms.

• Comment author was deleted

May 06, 2015 @ 09:53

Sorry to hear that Matthew, some great points you make here (and we'll of course give them some attention).

Would you mind describing the bugs you encountered so we can get those fixed?

If you wanna switch from Forms to Contour you'll have to drop the forms tables in the db (prefixed with UF*) once those are gone you should be able to install Contour.

• Jason 17 posts 37 karma points
    Sep 08, 2015 @ 20:25
    Jason

To sort of follow up for clarity, I can't install Contour without first getting rid of Forms?

I was pretty confused too. I was under the impression that since Forms seems to come with Umbraco 7 (I didn't install Forms specifically, but I have it) that Contour was becoming unnecessary. It seems like that's not necessarily the case, since Contour has more functionality than Forms.

For us, we're using Contour on our production site, and we did things kind of backwards and are now setting up our staging and development environments, which have Forms on them. I think if we were doing things the right way, we'd just move to Forms since it's "native" (although we will need the export functionality that Contour provides).

-j

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Sep 08, 2015 @ 20:32
    Phill

I've only ever used Forms and only just recently so I'm not an expert on either. However instead of an export to get my Forms from local to production I just copied the forms from here "App_Plugins\UmbracoForms\Data" in my local dev install. It was really easy since everything appears to be stored in an external .json file. Not sure if this is what you were looking to accomplish with an "export" feature but it did the trick in my scenario (it wasn't obvious that this could be done of course, that required some searching and searching).

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 01:37
    Nicholas Westby

I'm not particularly fond of Contour or Umbraco Forms (they are OK for many scenarios, but have serious limitations). I have approval to work on a replacement for both, which should be out in a few months.

More details here (I'll update that thread as I make progress, in case you want to keep an eye on things or contribute yourself): https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/developing-umbraco-7-packages/69933-replacing-contour-umbraco-forms-with-something-better

By the way, since I technically have't started yet, I'd love feedback in case you have ideas for what your ideal form builder should do. Wouldn't want to skip over something the Umbraco community really wants :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft