Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay Mehar 9 posts 79 karma points
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 11:57
    Jay Mehar

Umbraco Website Migration for a Newbie

Hi Umbraco Community

Wondering if anyone can help an Umbraco newbie here.

I'm a junior web designer and am familiar with servers, FTP etc, however never migrated an Umbraco site before.

I have all the files backed up in .ZIP file (including .bak file) and ready to transfer to the new server. Could you advise on the process to ensure a successful migration without breaking the live site?

Thanks in advance

Jay

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 13:44
    Nik

Hi Jay,

So. I would start with restoring the database to the new location. Once the database is restored, unzip your website into the location where it is going to be stored. Then open the web.config and updated the connection string to point to the relocated database. You'll probably have to update server name, maybe database name if you change it, and the credentials for logging in.

In theory, that is your first step. You should then be able to assign the site a temporary domain name, or edit your local host file to point to the new server and see if you can access it.

If you can't access it, then you'll need to start going through debug steps. The first would be check all the permissions on the website directories and files. Then if you are getting a YSOD (Yellow screen of death) error message, try seeing if you can access the Umbraco back office. Depending on the error, this might be available still.

You then have 2 options, the first is to check the Umbraco logs for errors. If you don't find anything there and you are able to, consider turning Custom Errors to Off Remember to turn this back to RemoteOnly before making the site live

This should give you a stacktrace of any errors that occur and you should be able to diagnose any issues from there.

Once you have it running in the second environment with no issues, only then do you change you DNS settings to point to the new server :-)

Nik

Feb 27, 2018 @ 18:59
    Jay Mehar

Hi Nik

Thank you so much for your reply. I have indeed followed you steps, however I'm getting a 500 Server Error message when visiting my domain in a browser.

I'm told that I've not configured the connection strings correctly in the web.config file. The lines that I'm amending are the ones below, where the "XXXX" is the new details on my new server.

<remove name="umbracoDbDSN" />
    <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=XXXX;database=XXXX;user id=XXXX;password=XXXX" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

I'm putting the same string details for both the umbracoDbDSN and the MSSQL lines mentioned.

Not sure where I'm going wrong, any idea what the issue might be?

• Joshua Lemli 52 posts 234 karma points
    Feb 27, 2018 @ 20:31
    Joshua Lemli

If you copied your DB with SQL-Server Management Studio, you may need to check the users mapped to the Umbraco DB -- your old user was most likely not imported.

Another issue may be machine connectivity. Is there an IT / infrastructure person you can talk to? It may be that some firewall is impeding the db-machine and web-server from talking to one another (if they're separate machines).

You can always try creating a blank DB in your new database instance and installing an "empty" / clean copy of Umbraco on the new server. This has nothing to do with your site -- so you can just test base connectivity: Can Umbraco read the DB? It also will tell you if the issue is with your codebase or your infrastructure.

Feb 28, 2018 @ 16:11
    Jay Mehar

Hi Joshua

I'll provide a brief sequence of events.

1) I had a website built in Umbraco by a full service web agency.

2) This year I decided to move to another Windows Hosting provider, who supported ASP.Net applications. I simply wanted to migrate my site to a new host.

3) The web agency provided me with a backup ZIP file to allow me to migrate.

4) I provided this ZIP file to the Tech Team at my new hosting provider, who extracted the files to new server.

5) The Tech Team, created a new database and imported data from the .bak file. They also created a new DB name, server address, user ID, etc.

6) My new host then asked me to use the info they created, to change the connection strings in the Web.config file, which I did (copy/paste) but for some reason it throws up a 500 server error.

Now neither I nor my new hosting Tech Team know what the issue is :-(

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2018 @ 16:26
    Steve Morgan

This can be a few things but if you're not seeing an error and httpErrors is set to "PassThrough" in the web.config it's most likely:

1) A corrupt web.config (carefully check you haven't messed it up - deleted a closing xml tag etc etc).

2) File permissions. https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/permissions

3) Something not right on IIS - check the host to check against https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Requirements/

Mar 01, 2018 @ 12:52
    Jay Mehar

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

All I'm getting is "500 - Internal Server Error". As far as I can see, the xml code/syntax is not missing any open/closed tags.

I've also checked all file/user permissions which are all set to Full Control.

What I did notice is that my new host has named both the database and the user the same (i.e database is "abc123xyz", user id is also "abc123xyz"). Also they've created another user, with similar name, minus the underscore and everything left of it (i.e "xyz")

Could any of that be the problem? Finally I've asked my new host to check configuration as per the articles you suggested.

I await their response with bated breath.

Mar 01, 2018 @ 20:33
    Steve Morgan

Is PassThrough set on httpErrors ?

Mar 02, 2018 @ 15:23
    Jay Mehar

Hi Steve

I'm pleased to say that the 500 Error has now been resolved by the new host.

However, now I am getting a server error when I'm attempting to view details of registered users, via the umbraco BackOffice login (i.e www.mydomain.com/umbraco).

I have a "Custom Area" tab, which allows me to view registered users of my site, however when clicking on "Details" to view each record, it throws up the bellow:

Start of error message

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] spongeBike.database.DataAccess.sqlAccess.setCXN() +74 spongeBike.database.DataAccess.sqlAccess..ctor(String spName, Boolean isRawSql, String ConnStringName) +28 MyWebSiteName.MWSNHelpers.userHelper.getUser(Int32 USID) +40 BankName.customAdmin.User.applyFilter() +99 BankName.customAdmin.User.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +192 System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51 System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +95 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +59 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +780

End of error message

I have no clue what all that means, I only know that it's not pulling data from the database.

Mar 02, 2018 @ 16:43
    Steve Morgan

If I was to guess I'd say that there is a separate DB connection string hard coded in the source. Do you have the source?

Mar 03, 2018 @ 15:54
    Jay Mehar

Hi Steve

Yes I have all the files from my existing server, now on my new server.

Where/which file do I attempt to look for the DB connection string?

• Joshua Lemli 52 posts 234 karma points
    Mar 04, 2018 @ 16:39
    Joshua Lemli
    • do a global search (ctrl + shift + f in MS-VS) for DbDSN.
    • look in the root project directory (where the bin and App_Data directories live) for your root Web.config file. Connection strings typically live there under the aptly-named connectionStrings tag
    • do a global search for server= or database= or password=
    • do a global search for...connectionString
    Apr 10, 2018 @ 17:50
    Jay Mehar

Hi guys, sorry it's been a while since I responded, I just wanted to let you know that my issue has since been resolved.

Many many thanks to you all for assisting me with advice, guidance, tips and solutions, very much appreciated!

You guys are awesome :-)

Warmest regards

Jay

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft