Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luke Barnett 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 27, 2016 @ 03:01
    Luke Barnett

Umbraco Forms - Generating database tables on project start up

I'm wanting to work on a clean fresh database to have a play around with some field customization without messing with the main content database.

I have Chaffeur running to establish a base database as well as uSync to throw in all my data types etc.

Umbraco Forms is referenced and pulled in with the nuget packages however the database tables that it's expecting aren't being created.

In a twitter conversation with @warrenbuckley he mentioned that it should be generated at boot with petapoco. I've had a small poke around decompiling the dlls and I don't see a reference to it.

If it makes any difference we haven't installed a licence for Umbraco Forms yet as we're still confirming that it's the correct solution.

<package id="UmbracoCms" version="7.5.3" targetFramework="net452" />
    <package id="UmbracoForms" version="4.3.3" targetFramework="net452" />

Any ideas as to why this is happening? It's quite important for me to be able to spin up a clean database instance.

Oct 31, 2016 @ 02:58
    Luke Barnett

Just bumping this thread as I'm not sure how it works with moderation and if it dropped below the fold before the post was approved.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Nov 01, 2016 @ 08:45
    Warren Buckley

Hello Luke,
    Regardless of having the license installed the DB tables should be created.

Can I ask a couple of questions please. Have you installed Umbraco Forms in the site/environment before?

As it seems to be the installed marker may be there perhaps? ~/App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/installed

If this is there then Umbraco Forms think its been installed & on Umbraco startup won't perform the install actions such as installing DB tables, so you can simply remove this file from your site.

Another way if you are performing an upgrade to re-trigger the install steps is to add a marker file at the following location if the installed marker is already there.

Add the upgrade marker file to the following location ~/App_Data/TEMP/formsupdate

Details on this can be found in the documentation:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Installation/ManualUpgrade#upgrade-marker

I hope this helps you.
    Warren :)

Nov 01, 2016 @ 20:44
    Luke Barnett

I have installed Umbraco Forms locally backed onto our dev copy of the database.

What's the recommended method around having these files in source control?

Should I have the installed file ignored? What will it do to existing data if it reinstalls on each release (i.e. the installed file is deleted each time)?

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Nov 01, 2016 @ 21:22
    Warren Buckley

It is best to keep the installed marker in place & add/use the upgrade marker instead. Adding the file & restarting the site/app pool will trigger the install functions to be run and should be the best way moving forward for you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft