Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Rees 27 posts 57 karma points
    Jan 24, 2018 @ 21:22
    Richard Rees

using LESS with Umbraco Cloud

Does anyone know the best way of using LESS CSS Preprocessor with Umbraco Cloud?

I can see a couple of LESS packages in the package repository, but none of them look like they work past 7.4. And I'm guessing non standard file types will be at the mercy of the Umbraco Cloud deploy anyway?

If there's no way that the cloud can compile the LESS to css, is there another way? Maybe compile locally (Gulp/Grunt?) before deploying to cloud?

Thanks

Rich

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 24, 2018 @ 21:44
    Nik

Hi Richard,

I've not done it with Less, but with SASS I've compiled locally with gulp and then pushed the compiled source up to the cloud.

The packages might just say they don't working with Cloud because no one has tested them and reported back. The "Project Compatibility" element on the packages page is predominantly based on user feedback as far as I know. It could be worth giving one a go and seeing if it does work.

Thanks,

Nik

Jan 25, 2018 @ 09:29
    Richard Rees

I'll give the 2 LESS packages a go and report back.

Thanks!

Feb 01, 2018 @ 12:13
    Richard Rees

I found a simple solution - I downloaded the "web compiler" VS extension by Mads Kristiansen.

Added a less file. When I change the less file and save, it generates the css which I just include in the project.

• Jay Criscione 16 posts 105 karma points
    Mar 16, 2018 @ 14:11
    Jay Criscione

Richard, Look at ClientDependency by Shannon Deminick (Umbraco Core Maintainer). I use it to minify static files on my sites, and his library support LESS. https://github.com/Shazwazza/ClientDependency

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft