Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Nov 20, 2017 @ 16:18
    Ayo Adesina

Umbraco Cloud - Some basic questions

Hi Guys,

First time I have used Umbraco Cloud, so forgive me.

Just set up my first project. - I am using visual studio to work locally then transfer changes by checking in my code to git and then in my local UI I queue items for transfer. - This seems to be working well.

But I have some questions around my projects structure.

I used the UaaS.cmd script to set up my visual studio project, as outlined in the documentation here:

What I have noticed is it creates two projects one for the Umbraco Website and one called ProjectNameSpace.core

I want to use Umbraco Route High Jacking, and put my routes through a MVC controller and then render my pages based on a custom View Model.

1. Where should I put this code, In the App_Code folder of the website? Or should it be in the .core project?
    2. Assuming I should the code in the .core project do I need to then add the core project as one of the .web projects? It seems this is not done when the project is set up by UaaS.cmd
      1. When checking in code from the .core project should I also be checking in the packages folder that is also generated, or will the build server restore all the packages from nuget?

In Short I think I have got the general hang of the work flow but if someone could answer my questions and bring some clarity to the work flow process I would be very grateful.

Thanks Ayo

• Matt Darby 28 posts 391 karma points c-trib
    Nov 20, 2017 @ 16:51
    Matt Darby

Hey Ayo,

You're correct, that code goes in the *.Core project. There is some great documentation here which explains it in detail, and a video tutorial on Umbraco.TV which runs through it here.

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Nov 20, 2017 @ 17:37
    Ayo Adesina

Thanks for you reply, I will check both those links out.

Another question I have is around the db, so it looks like my local enviorment is using a .sdf file. Before I used Umbraco cloud I would normally set up a SQL server database on my local computer then push that file up to live when I'm finished.

Every time I create a doc type locally umbraco creates a .uda file in data/revision/file-here-guid.uda This is the file I check in to git that in turn updates the live environment.

My questions are:

1. From what I can remember this doesn't happen when I create a project with out using the cloud.. How does my local version of Umbraco know its running in 'Cloud Mode' and create these files.

2. If I was working in a team, and we wanted to share the development environment, how would that work? Wouldn't the local database need to be in a centralised location? Or would it be better to create another environment in the cloud so then each developer would have a local, then check in... that would go to a middle environment 'pre-live' then when that would be the environment that the developers share?

Again if anyone can give me a bit of clarification on that, that would be great.

• Georgs Bormanis 25 posts 122 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 08:30
    Georgs Bormanis

Hey there,

1. It just does, there is some magic involved.. :D You clone down your project that is already on the Cloud so everything is already connected for you.

2. Nop, each developer need to have his own local databse, you shouldn't share that db at all. If there are multiple people working in your team, then the process would be something like this: When developer A makes a change to document type, data type etc. locally, it gets serialized, so it creates UDA file, when you change something, this UDA file gets updated again. So if you commit and push that change up to the server, the database picks these changes up, so when the developer B will pull down latest changes, it will do this extraction process where the changes will get updated in DB and in UDA file. Note that the site needs to be up on running on your local machine in order for UDA file to update. You can also use your own Git repo and then merge with Cloud repo (Master).

I hope this makes sense, Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft