Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Theis Søgaard Jacobsen 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 16, 2017 @ 09:38
    Theis Søgaard Jacobsen

Add Live content to queue

Hi,

So I've started a new project with Umbraco Cloud Trial version with a standard business test site. I wanted to edit and transfer some content changes from the "live" or production site to my development. Just so I know how to do it. After I have made my changes and "saved and published" them I wanted to deploy them.

I tried to add them to queue, as I understand that is the normal flow, but I get a 500 internal server error on the AddToManifest function. So my changes doesn't get added and can't be transferred.

To check if the same problem was the other way around. So I checked if I could add content from the development to production and I could. Production even got updated after the transfer.

So I'm thinking either I'm missing something obvious that I just don't see/know or there is a problem with umbraco cloud?

To just sum up:

• Made cloud test site - squeaky clean
    • Ensured that both were running
    • Edited content on live site (cloud)
    • 500 internal error on adding changes to transfer queue
    • Edited content local development
    • Could transfer content to live (from local)
  • Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6445 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 16, 2017 @ 21:25
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Theis.

So, the problem here is that you cannot transfer anything from Live in a queue, since there is no site to transfer to after the Live enviroment. The Live enviroment is the last one in the queue. What you should do instead is "Restore" content to your Dev enviroment from your Live enviroment.

So to clear things out:

The transfer queue transfers content in one direction, and one direction only:

Local - Transfer To => Development - Transfer To => Live

The Restore function restores content in one direction, and one direction only:

Local - Restore From <= Development - Restore From <= Live

So you see now why you cannot transfer anything with the Transfer Queue from your Live enviroment? Because there is no site to tranfer to.

Instead, log in to you local solutions backoffice, then right-click on the "Content" tree and select the option "Restore". Then you'll be asked if you want to restore all your contet from your Live enviroment to your Dev/Local enviroment. See image:

enter image description here

It's easy to mix these things up when you are new to the setup, but once you've done it a few times, it will make perfect sense to you. Best of luck to you, and hope you enjoy Umbraco Cloud!

All the best / Dennis

• Theis Søgaard Jacobsen 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 17, 2017 @ 07:40
    Theis Søgaard Jacobsen

Thank you so much Dennis.

It works perfectly.

-Theis

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6445 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 17, 2017 @ 09:50
    Dennis Adolfi

Ah, perfect! Happy to help! :)

Take care Theis, and have a great day!