Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicole Polet 50 posts 202 karma points
    Dec 14, 2016 @ 22:22
    Nicole Polet

Best Practice for Editors on Umbraco Cloud

Just wondering what would be best practice when using Umbraco as a Service / Umbraco Cloud:

Should your editors do all their work in the Dev Site backoffice and then "deploy" content nodes?

Or should the do their work on the Live Site backoffice and just use the "preview" and/or "publish" functionality?

Thanks!

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 15, 2016 @ 07:23
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Nicole.

I guess that is up to you and your client to decide, but I think the intent is to do all your content work on DEV or STAGE (if you have a stage enviroment) and deploy it to Live once it's ready.

The beauty with that is that your editors can do a whole bunch of updates on different nodes and Save & Publish these, and see exacly how its going to look on their DEV, send a link to a coullege for review etc, and as soon as they think everything looks good, deploy everything to LIVE.

From personal experience I think it´s always safer to do Content updates in a DEV enviroment instead of LIVE, since you wont risk any errors due to lack of "nullchecks" etc. But I guess that can be avoided with the "preview" function as well.

However if your client prefers to do everything directly in the LIVE enviroment, that no problem, since its very easy for you as a developer to "Restore" all the content from your Live enviroment to your DEV enviroment. It´s just a click of a button! :)

Hope my input was helpful.

Have a great day!

• Nicole Polet 50 posts 202 karma points
    Dec 15, 2016 @ 16:54
    Nicole Polet

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your response- that makes sense. I'll chat with my editors about it.

Nicole

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 15, 2016 @ 18:14
    Dennis Adolfi

Glad I could help Nicole!

Take care!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft