Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Styrmir 7 posts 80 karma points
    Mar 07, 2016 @ 19:31
    Styrmir

Styles not working and menu items missing from rich text editor.

I'm just trying out Umbraco, evaluating it as an alternative to the Orchard CMS system, which I've been using for clients for a while now.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can help me with.

Firstly I am unable to apply styles in rich text editors using the format function, also most of the options such as html, cut, link etc are missing from the menu the same menu.

I've had a look under Developer > Rich Text Editor, and all those items are checked to be included. Including the custom style sheet I created (which is working under Settings>StyleSheet>Styles>MyTestStyle).

None of those items show up in the menu as I said above, and the custom style is missing from the Format drop down menu.

Also trying to apply a style from the Format menu does nothing.

Here's my setup:

I am running the website through Visual Studio and a hosting the database on a local MSSQL 2012 server. I started a new empty ASP.NET 4.6 Web Application, then installed UmbracoCMS 7.0.4 using the available NuGet package.

Using the standard Fanoe template that I'm modifying for my own site.

On a slightly different subject but somewhat related, how would I go about applying a style to one of the div's for example in a page. I see no way to directly apply a class or id to those elements?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, Styrmir.

Mar 08, 2016 @ 11:39
    Styrmir

I've come a little further in finding out about the rich text editor (RTE). Umbraco is using TinyMCE as far as I can tell.

Found the config file for it "Config>tinyMceConfig.config", and after reading through it I can see that the userInterface tag does get set to true for the items I check to display in Umbraco's admin panel.

Yet, these items are not displayed when editing RTE fields in the backend.

I figured out why my test style didn't show up. Moved it to "Settings>Stylesheets>rte>MyTestStyle", and it now shows up in the RTE.

But the styles are not applied when selected from the menu as before.

I've tried 3 different browsers so it's not a plugin or browser issue.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 08, 2016 @ 11:47
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Styrmir,

To get styles into the format dropdown, try to have a look at this video.

https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/fundamentals/stylesheets-and-javascript/setting-up-rte-styles/

/Dennis

Mar 08, 2016 @ 12:22
    Styrmir

Thank you for the reply Dennis, I looked at the video, very nice tutorial.

Alas as I mentioned in my previous post I had already figured out that part and my style is now showing up in the Formats menu.

The main issue is that the Formats menu does not actually apply any of the Formats on selection when you have a word selected. (Despite now oddly my own CSS, none of the default formats do anything however).

Secondly I am unable to get most of the menu items to actually become available to me during editing in the TinyMCE rich text editor. Despite having added them in the admin panel and those changes being reflected in the TinyMCE config file.

Please see the screenshot images below to see what I'm refering to.

enter image description here

Thanks again, Styrmir.

Apr 29, 2016 @ 10:02
    Styrmir

This is still not working.

I tried setting up a new project again today and installed Umbraco with "Install-Package UmbracoCms". Install went fine, website boots up, I used all the standard settings.

First thing I do is to change the settings for Rich Text Editor fields to allow various toolbar options.

None of the settings appear and Formats still don't work at all when applied.

I will not be able to recommend using Umbraco to my clients if such a basic function doesn't work. Or am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Richtext editor settings

Richtext editor field

Regards, Styrmir.

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 11:36
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Styrmir.

You are editing the RTE datatype when used for a standalone property. Your home node is using a property with the datatype called Grid FrontPage. If you edit that datatype and select the functions you´d like they will be applied. See animation:

enter image description here

Best of luck to you!!

• Damian Chambers 23 posts 87 karma points
    Dec 31, 2017 @ 13:00
    Damian Chambers

I appreciate this comment. It helped me. I think this instruction should be included in the overall tutorial for adding styles to the rte, because it is different for applying to rte in the Grids.

Thanks

Apr 29, 2016 @ 16:06
    Styrmir

Thanks again for pitching in Dennis!

I'm glad to see that it's simply my lack of familiarity with the CMS rather than Umbraco itself that was the cause. :)

Worked immediately after I tried what you suggested.

I think it's time to digg into Umbraco with vigor and see what comes of it!

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 29, 2016 @ 17:54
    Dennis Adolfi

Glad i could help Styrmir and that it worked out for you! Best of luck with the rest of your site! Have a great day!! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft