Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kleptbit 42 posts 98 karma points
    Feb 12, 2016 @ 14:06
    kleptbit

Upgrade from 6.0.5 to 7.3.7 (now 7.4) failed, blank screen/back office Uncaught Error: No module: umbraco

Hello.

I have tried to upgrade a large site from 6.0.5 to 7.3.7. It is set to render WebForms.

I followed these pages Upgrading to version 7, and Upgrades in General and did it manually. This didn't work, I kept getting errors, then blank screens with error 500:19, so I installed it from Nuget. (It's a website in Visual Studio 2013).

Now I have the error Uncaught Error: No module: umbraco and a blank front and back end.

Anyone got any clues please?

EDIT: I've just tried to update to 7.4 through Nuget, which got me to the installer, hooray! Sadly the database won't upgrade. I get this error:

The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: 'System.Dynamic.ExpandoObject' does not contain a definition for 'NodeId' Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 10:10
    Marc Goodson

Hi Kleptbit

If you take a copy of your live database, download a fresh install of Umbraco via nuget (eg don't try to upgrade your existing solution), point the fresh vanilla version of Umbraco at your copied database, and run the solution.

Does the database successfully upgrade ?

ie any errors? and can you login to the backoffice of the vanilla version and see nodes! (although your Views and custom code won't be there)

(this would basically indicate whether the problem is in upgrading the database, or some sort of clash / problem with the merging of the new version of Umbraco with your existing solution, that just happens to fail during database upgrade, but isn't actually database upgrade related- if this is even a sentence and makes sense!)

With the previous manual attempt (andthe blank front end and back end) did you clear out any old umbraco dlls from the bin folder ? - break the client dependency framework version ?

In the web.config there is a key called umbracoConfigurationStatus - had that updated to 7.3.7, or was it still 6.0.5 ?

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.3.7" /> 

(if it was updated to 7.3.7 it would indicate the upgrade completed - and if not set this to 7.3.7 manually and see if you get in the trace logs a message saying the version of Umbraco is 6.0.5 but the configuration is 7.3.7, would indicate the old Umbraco dlls are still in the bin folder.)

I've not gone directly from 6.0.5 to 7; so if you are continuing to pull your hair out over this, it might be a leftfield suggestion but try an interim step of upgrading from 6.0.5 to 6.2.* then to 7.3/4

Feb 15, 2016 @ 10:44
    kleptbit

Thanks Marc. I would have tried this sooner but the powers that be have put an embargo on work outside of core hours. (!)

As far as 'System.Dynamic.ExpandoObject' does not contain a definition for 'NodeId' goes, it seems, according to this old closed issue that this error is caused by camel casing in cmsmacropropertytype table post 6.1.6 and it being all caps in <6.1.6.

Brian Powell suggests getting an empty v6.1.6 schema and importing my data into that before upgrading, similar to your 'Go to 6.2'. I am having trouble doing that so will follow your suggestions.

Just for completeness, the tracelog says:

2016-02-12 16:46:19,494 [P6076/D2/T16] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Installation step DatabaseUpgrade failed. System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: 'System.Dynamic.ExpandoObject' does not contain a definition for 'NodeId' Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/AppData/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt') at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseUpgradeStep.Execute(Object model) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.ExecuteStep(InstallSetupStep step, JToken instruction) 2016-02-12 16:46:19,495 [P6076/D2/T16] INFO Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Step completed (took 4863ms) 2016-02-12 16:46:19,495 [P6076/D2/T16] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - An error occurred during installation step DatabaseUpgrade System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: 'System.Dynamic.ExpandoObject' does not contain a definition for 'NodeId' Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/AppData/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt') at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseUpgradeStep.Execute(Object model) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.ExecuteStep(InstallSetupStep step, JToken instruction) at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.PostPerformInstall(InstallInstructions installModel)

Feb 15, 2016 @ 14:52
    kleptbit

Oo so the vanilla version worked! (pointing a fresh install of 7.3.7 at my 6.0.5 database) I can see noooodes in the back office!

Feb 15, 2016 @ 18:12
    kleptbit

I pointed my upgraded site at the upgraded 7.3.7 database and everything fell over with YSOD:

ContentType with alias 'HeaderAndFooter' was added as a Composition to ContentType with alias 'AToZResults', but there was a conflict on the following PropertyTypes: 'umbracoNaviHide'. PropertyTypes must have a unique alias across all Compositions in order to compose a valid ContentType Composition.

(I also upgraded the Client Dependency version.)

I see stuff turning up in Google saying alter things in the database but this is a large production site so I'm not confident doing that.

So I installed a vanilla 7.4 and pointed it at my 6.0.5 database and upgraded it. Now I'm back to this error:

Error during installation

The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: 'System.Dynamic.ExpandoObject' does not contain a definition for 'NodeId' Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

See the log for full details (logs can typically be found in the App_Data\Logs folder).

Looks like I will have to start from scratch with a fresh site backup and do it incrementally. :(

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Feb 16, 2016 @ 21:51
    Marc Goodson

kleptbit

so if you have an updated vanilla umbraco solution pointing at an upgraded 7.3.7 database, can you just copy across the views, css scripts, js, images, config, fonts, media into the new solution... will it fly ?

alot will depend on which packages you have installed and whether they have equivalents in Umbraco 7 (if not they will be turned into label properties)

The content type error is to do with how your document types called 'HeaderAndFooter' and 'AToZResults; are related, are they created under each other, or have a common ancestor? Umbraco is moving towards compositions, and is converting nested document types to be like compositions, but it doesn't work if you have a property created more than once eg umbracoNaviHide

Feb 17, 2016 @ 11:49
    kleptbit

Yes I think the properties are one of the problems there with the content type error (this is going from 6.0.5 to 7.3.7). It seems that this will be a deal breaker in 7.3.7 whatever I do, as there are definitely nested document types with more than one of the same property on them.

On the ExpanoObject problem, which happens going from 6.1 to 7.4, someone on Stack has the same issue, so I've told them what I've done and pointed them here. I imagine if I got past the Expando problem the Composites would bite me?

I am now thinking of two paths to try: Sort out the nested properties before continuing with the stepped upgrade.

See if copying everything over to the upgraded 7.3.7 vanilla umbraco solution works. I don't think it will though with the nested properties, if you say the Composites just won't get on with them? Maybe I should just do that first.

Gah! Thanks for your help Marc.

Feb 17, 2016 @ 12:31
    kleptbit

Apparently the upgrade process to 7.4 is broken, the person on Stack reported it:

U4-7598 - fix migrations during 4.7 to 7.4 upgrade

Feb 23, 2016 @ 11:20
    kleptbit

I've got it loading in the back end in 7.2.1.

What I did:

Removed nested properties Upgraded ImageGen Upgraded from 6.0.5 to 6.1.6, 6.2, 6.2.5 then 7.2.1

Now to tackle the YSOD on the front end.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft