Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Logan P. 47 posts 217 karma points
    Feb 09, 2016 @ 18:48
    Logan P.

Examine won't reindex my media

We are having an issue on our production site with examine and its indexing. If we delete the Examine indexes in the /App_Data/TEMP folder, our media lookups on the front end will return empty. Rebuilding the indexes in the developer section of the back office does NOT fix this either. The only way to fix this is by going and saving each individual media item one by one. Surely there has to be a better solution than this? Does anyone have any ideas why examine would not be rebuilding these indexes on rebuild?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 09, 2016 @ 18:52
    Jeavon Leopold

When you try to rebuild your indexes using the back office dashboard do you see any errors in the log file? After using the rebuild tool does it report any nodes in the index? Are you using Azure?

Feb 09, 2016 @ 19:07
    Logan P.

Hi Jeavon, there are no errors in the log file, it does report that there are nodes in the index and we are not using Azure. Optimizing the indexes works fine as well without any errors.

Let me know if there is anything that I can provide you that would give you a clue as to what it could be.

Thanks so much!

Feb 09, 2016 @ 20:10
    Jeavon Leopold

When you say your media returns nothing, do you mean .Url properties are empty? Are when requesting on the front end still no log entries?

Feb 09, 2016 @ 20:16
    Logan P.

No it cant even find the content at all.

IPublishedContent mediaItem = Umbraco.TypedMedia(id);

That is the code that I use to get my media item and it returns null until I go back to the media item in the back office and save & publish it.

Feb 09, 2016 @ 20:31
    Jeavon Leopold

Well that is odd and I don't think it's Examine that's the problem then. Umbraco has a fallback system so if a media items isn't in Examine then it goes to the db. Have you checked the XML integrity dashboard?

Feb 09, 2016 @ 20:38
    Logan P.

I'm still on umbraco 7.3.3 which doesn't seem to have the XML integrity dashboard. Whenever we upgrade I will be sure to check it. Thanks for the advice!

Feb 09, 2016 @ 20:48
    Jeavon Leopold

You will have it, likely it's registration is missing from your dashboards.config possibly missed in a upgrade.

Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:16
    Logan P.

Ok, so I added the Xml integrity checker, it did say that the media xml was bad. So I clicked fix, and it just sat there and loaded. It never gave an error message and it never fixed the issue on the front end. I checked the log file and it looks like the XmlDataIntegrityController.CheckContentXmlTable() is timing out System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out

Any clues?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2016 @ 11:56
    Jeavon Leopold

Hmm, ok, we've added a option in Umbraco v7.4 to be able to extend that SQL command timeout value.

It's hard to know though if you upgrade and can then execute the integrity fix if it will fix your original issue....

What do you think about upgrading to v7.4?

Feb 12, 2016 @ 15:59
    Logan P.

We will upgrade at some point soon. I will let you know when we do. Thanks for all of your help!

Feb 12, 2016 @ 16:33
    Jeavon Leopold

Cool, once you've upgraded you can add ;Connection Timeout=300 to your connection string and it should let the fix complete

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    Jun 20, 2016 @ 09:13
    Kenny Burns

Hi,

We are havig the exact same issue on 7.4.2. We tried the connection timeout and that didn't seem to fix the issue. We are trying to rebuild an index set from Umbraco developer section and when running it, its seems to bust out at some point and doesn't re-index all the nodes that it should.

There are no errors and nothing we can see that would be causing this. If I go in and save each media item individually, it adds it to the index. I created a script which loops through and saves each item, have run that which has updated the index but it's not ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kenny

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft