Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wad 24 posts 87 karma points
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 15:36
    wad

Umbraco vs Wordpress do you agree with that??

Ho all i found article about this twi cms. Umbraco Vs WordPress

And tell me about performace of umbraco it is slower then wordpress.?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 15:52
    Alex Skrypnyk

Umbraco is better if you are good at Umbraco stuff. About performance - totally depends on development team.

Thanks

• Biagio Paruolo 1593 posts 1824 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 16:38
    Biagio Paruolo

I think that Wordpress is less secure than Umbraco. For the performance depends by server, code, library.

Feb 02, 2016 @ 16:40
    wad

No i new one but people (clients) asking for Wordpress but Umbraco i something like Power of the dark side. I new in asp.net but c# and MVc maybe are not simple like php but they give me more fun. And i pass few lessons with umbraco it is the same. Wordopress is very easy but whit this you are not improve "your skills".

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 17:32
    Nik

Firstly, that blog is probably the most bias article I've seen for a little while. Saying that, you are asking for people to justify Umbraco against Wordpress on the primary Umbraco forum so expect a lot of potentially tainted opinions.

Both systems are CMS's that can be easily set up and configured. As someone that has a limited experience with wordpress I can't vouch for it but with most seasoned .Net and even alot of php Developers I know, wordpress is considered the anti-christ of web development. I've had bad experiences with wordpress, I've seen them hacked all over the place. I've seen horrific and convoluted editing experiences. Yet at the same time I hear there are some great Wordpress sites out there.

I think a lot of it comes down to what you know and where your skills lie. Having recently introduced several content editors, who were used to Wordpress, to Umbraco 7 they loved the ease of editing.

As for performance, there is a lot of factors that impact it. If you put any CMS on a shitty server with no resources and it's performance will be dire no matter what.

Personally, I've had no issues with performance in Umbraco untill I've done something stupid in the code but then that can easily be rectified.

Overall, I would recommend Umbraco for multiple reasons:

1. It's Editor experience, from what I've seen, is so much simpler and easier.
    2. It's stable
    3. It's generally more secure (subject to your server/hosting setup of-course).
    4. It's easily extensible and customisable (but then again people say the same about wordpress).
  • Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 18:36
    Jason

Most of the points that the author is making to why WordPress is better is not very honest. I believe they are just driving traffic for a referral program for hosting. Umbraco is not WordPress and, in my opinion, was never meant to be like WordPress.

The speed thing is an old point that most PHP advocates make about .Net and as Alex pointed out that is an issue with custom code and not Umbraco or the .Net platform. C# or PHP, bad code is just bad code. Umbraco is not inherently slower or more buggy than WordPress.

WordPress is a blog engine that has added CMS features so that lends to theming because of the standard set of pages. Umbraco is a CMS that is highly customizable which is very hard to theme because there are no standard pages. So saying that WordPress is better because it has more themes is not understanding how either platform works.

True that WordPress is easy to get up and running, but only as long as you use the pre-built themes and plugins. Most of the client I have worked with usually want a custom look and feel and not a stock theme. Having worked with and coded for both platforms, I find it much easier to customize Umbraco than WordPress (I acknowledge that I am a bit bias). There is still a fair bit of specialize knowledge to do WordPress customization. I have also transitioned many content editors from WordPress to Umbraco sites that I have build and all of them have found the Umbraco back office very easy to use. Point here is that development and content editing are not the same thing.

I admit that hosting is maybe the biggest negative for .Net sites, but that is getting cheaper everyday. You can get hosting for a low volume Umbraco site for only a few dollars a month now. But once you start to scale the cost I find are very comparable.

Each platform has its strengths and weakness, and neither is better or worse than the other. Both can be used to create beautiful, fast and SEO friendly websites. Comparing the two is like trying to compare a car you bought at a dealership off the lot with stock feature, verses having a car custom built to your needs.

I will get off my soap box for now. ;-)

• Biagio Paruolo 1593 posts 1824 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 20:02
    Biagio Paruolo

Other thing: you have a good help from Visual Studio to edit the code of your pages. For my point of view ( as I wrote before ), WP is less less secure if use not secure or hacked templates and plugins. Also there are a lots type of attacks to wordpress ( injection, etc ... ).

• Eric Petersson 32 posts 116 karma points
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 20:41
    Eric Petersson

It totally depends on the size of your projects I would say. I would say the following of both CMS:

Umbraco

The good parts:

• Secure since it relies on .NET
    • Modern web development
    • Flexible in terms of creating normal website elements
    • Good community

The bad parts:

• Time consuming if you're not well familiar with web development and .NET
    • Sometimes buggy (no major issues)
    • Built in functionalites are not that into details once you would like take fully advantage of the CMS

WordPress

The good parts:

• Easy to learn and use (both development and client usage)
    • Flexible implementations with lots of plugins
    • Good community and lots of documentation

The bad parts:

• Major security issues
    • Outdated web development
    • CMS approach throughout the years have been really confusing (since it started out as a regular blog platform)
    • Too many plugins to rely on

I would every day choose Umbraco over WordPress because I find it more joyful and modern than WordPress, even though the speed process for creating new sites is faster and not that hardcore web development.

Feb 03, 2016 @ 14:50
    wad

I find it more joyful and modern than WordPress.

This is the answer what i need. I learn programing and web just for fun its not my job. So i need have fun.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 21:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

Thanks, great answers, it would be great to first in google request "Umbraco vs Wordpress" We can like and repost this page ) maybe it will help )

Thanks

Feb 03, 2016 @ 14:51
    wad

Thank you all guys.

• Simon 81 posts 184 karma points
    Aug 09, 2017 @ 16:19
    Simon

It's just driving traffic to WP hosting sites - if you look at the Urls they've all got afcode (affiliate tracking code) parameters or go via affiliate tracking websites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft