Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Jan 19, 2016 @ 14:58
    Nathan Skidmore

Send to Translation for multi-lingual websites

Hi,

I am looking at the benefits of using the built in Umbraco Translation functionality and have a few questions around it's use.

1. From what I can see, when I send a tree of content to translation and choose 'include subpages', each and every sub-node is added to the list of translation tasks. In an instance where each sub-node is an actual page, this makes sense. But if you have a page with a number of sub-nodes that are just elements on the page and not actual pages, this becomes very messy. Essentially each node is added to a list of nodes that need to be translated. These could include video nodes, galleries etc. Has anyone managed to successfully work with this process?
    2. When you send a page to translation, you must select the language that it needs to be translated to. However, the XML file that is generated includes the node id for the page you sent to translation. Therefore if I want to send to translation an English page into Spanish, I select the page on the English version of the website, choose Spanish and send it to translation. However the XML file that is created will contain the node for the English page, not the Spanish equivalent. Therefore when I upload the translated page it will over-ride the English page, not the Spanish equivalent. Am I missing something here?

Based on point 2, it appears that this process only really works when you have new content that is created in English and then copied across multiple sites in English first. Then you can send it to translation from each specific language site and maintain the correct node id. To use this feature in a live site, where the multi-lingual sites have already been initially translated but content is forever changing and needs to be re-translated, this process doesn't really work.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide insight on how they are using this tool actively and not just for initial multi-lingual setup. Also if there are any alternatives that people are aware of, that would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nathan

• Gustavo Rascioni 2 posts 72 karma points
    May 17, 2017 @ 06:04
    Gustavo Rascioni

Hi, I'm doing some research on Umbraco translation capabilities and came across with this post. Did you find anything somewhere else? Thanks.

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Jan 09, 2018 @ 10:53
    Nathan Skidmore

Unfortunately not. I decided not to use the 'Send to Translation' function at all as it wasn't fit for purpose. We have used a third party proxy translation service called Smartling, where we can manage our translation workflow.

FYI it looks like I am not receiving notification updates from our.umbraco so apologies for the 8 month delay in replying!

Thanks, Nathan

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jan 09, 2018 @ 12:12
    Matthew Wise

If you want to do translations I can only recommend taking a look at Kevin Jumps Translation manager.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/translation-manager/

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft