Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Nov 26, 2015 @ 03:08
    Saied

Do I have to make a copy of my website for each language variation?

If I want to have my website translated to chinese, do I have to have a copy of the website for each variation of chinese or does Umbraco default to a version no matter what version of chinese is detected by the browser?

Here we are talking about one country's language, but if I add a few more, this can get quite tedious? I also read about Vorto and was wondering if I could mix the two approaches?

I tried using Vorto and if I pass Model.CurrentCulture, it always returns en-US no matter what my browser is set to, so I was curious as to what is the best way to determine the language and does Vorto work the same way when it comes to multiple variations of one language?

Thanks

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 26, 2015 @ 06:08
    David Brendel

Hi Saied,

this depends in how you structure your tree. For me, most of the time I clone the complete tree for each language the website is available.

Umbraco doesn't recognize the browser language by default and redirect to the right website. This is up to you to handle that.

What you can do is specify the hostname and the culture for each website in the menu "Culture and Hostnames".

Regards David

Nov 26, 2015 @ 13:10
    Saied

Hi David,

Currently I have two websites (in English) installed in one Umbraco Instance.

How do you handle culture?

Also, do you create a copy for each version of Spansish (Mexico, Spain, etc)?

I am about to start translating my sites to Arabic, Chinese, Spansih, Russian, etc and want to know the best approach to doing it?

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 26, 2015 @ 18:24
    David Brendel

Hi Saied,

the culture is set by using the menu item "Culture & Hostnames". You should find it when you make a right click on a node.

There you can set the langugae that the website should be using.

Normally I only create one copy for each language and not for each occurence of that language. In my opinin its sufficient to have just one spanish website for example.

So you would have one website for chinese, one for spanish, one for russian and for the arab website it depends as there are quite some different languages.

Regards David

Nov 30, 2015 @ 14:38
    Saied

Hi David,

I noticed that there is a Chinese language in the language selection and then other variations? If I just pick chinese, do all variations of chinese map to that one?

• Steve 140 posts 321 karma points
    Nov 26, 2015 @ 19:24
    Steve

Hi Saied,
    Vorto should work well for your site.
    Setting it up:
    1. If you haven't already done so, go to Settings>Languages and add the languages you would like to have available.
    2. Right click on your Home node and select Culture and Hostnames. Click Add new Domain and enter localhost/chs as the domain and select zh-chs in the language menu (example for simplified Chinese)
    3. Add a Vorto:Richtext editor to your Home document type, then add some content in the Chinese(Simplified) tab of the Vorto data property
    4. Browse to localhost/chs - the UICulture will be zh-CHS and the text you entered should be displayed 5. Add as many languages as you need and just be sure to add the values for each to the Culture and Hostnames settings.
    Hope you find that helpful!
    Cheers
    Steve

Nov 30, 2015 @ 14:40
    Saied

Hi Steve,

Do I have to have chs in the url, or if I setup the culture correctly, would they correct language come up?

• Mona 36 posts 106 karma points
    Jul 07, 2021 @ 08:13
    Mona

I'm facing issue with Umbraco Multi language website English & Arabic. English (en-US) is working fine as default language. Arabic (ar-SA) secondary language is not working, showing 404 error. Domains setting with Culture and Hostnames http://localhost:4865 http://localhost:4865/ar

I did followed all steps in the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzxCdjq4FM&ab_channel=UmbracoHQ

Anyone can assist me in this regard ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft