Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Adams 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 06:20
    Stephen Adams

Backoffice: Show node on login

Hi all,

Is there a way to default a user to a specific node on login to the Umbraco Backoffice?

For example, if after a user logs in I'd like to default them to the Home > Articles node (which is a listing of articles in the system), how can this be done (if at all?). And can this be controlled on a per user type basis? I.e. an admin vs. a writer?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 10:05
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Stephen,

Yes it is possible for you to pick a node, where you want the user to start in the content tree when they are logged in. It is controlled on a per user.

So what you need to do is go to the user tab in the Umbraco backoffice, and then click on the user that you want to set the settings for. Then you should see a screenshot like below.

enter image description here

Here you can setup where the user should start in the content tree and in the media library too.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Stephen Adams 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 15:05
    Stephen Adams

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for this, but I'm referring to what the user sees on the right pane after login. Right now it shows the Welcome page (with training video links). I'd like that to load the content of the default node.

• David Myers 3 posts 74 karma points
    May 10, 2016 @ 04:00
    David Myers

Hi Stephen,

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have a similar situation where some users 'own' a single specific node. This is the only node they can access, so I'd like the edit page for it to display automatically when they log in. Setting the "Start Node in Content" property on the user simply restricts what nodes are visible in the tree.

Likewise, a different group of users can edit multiple areas, but they have one primary node that I'd like to default their view to. They should still be able to use the tree to navigate to other areas they can edit.

In both cases, configuring the permissions for the tree is simple. I'd just like to set a default node to display the edit page for when they log in.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 10, 2016 @ 05:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David and welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately what you're asking is not possible currently and I'm not sure when or if it will be.

Perhaps you can restrict the node entry to be closer to the actual node that the user can access to instead of for instance setting up the "Start node" to the "Homepage" you set it up to a subpage under, which the node they can access exists if you have not done so already.

You can always create a feature request about this on the issue tracker at issues.umbraco.org/issues

Hope this clear things up?

/Jan

May 10, 2016 @ 05:31
    David Myers

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your quick response. I've done as you suggested and created an issue for this: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-8428

In the meantime, I'm thinking I might be able to create a view that contains the logic to redirect the user and set that as the default dashboard view. I'll post back here if I get something working.

The users with single-node access won't log in very often, and if it's too difficult for them to quickly make their changes they simply won't use it - so I want to streamline the edit process as much as possible for them.

Cheers, David

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    May 10, 2016 @ 07:07
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi guys,

what you could do is edit the file /Config/Dashboard.config and add your own usercontrol there with some custom logic that directly redirects you to the right node after login.

Instead of showing the Welcome screen; your usercontrol is shown or logic in this usercontrol is executed.

Maybe this could work!

May 11, 2016 @ 00:52
    David Myers

Hi Jeffrey,

That's the approach I ended up going with.

I've added this to my dashboard.config in the "StartupDashboardSection":

<tab caption="Default">
      <control showOnce="true" addPanel="false">
        /App_Plugins/DefaultNode/ShowDefaultNode.aspx
      </control>
    </tab>

Then in my usercontrol I have this code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (UmbracoContext.Current.Security.CurrentUser.StartContentId != -1)
            {
                Response.Write($"<script>document.location = '#/content/content/edit/{UmbracoContext.Current.Security.CurrentUser.StartContentId}';</script>");
            }
        }

In this case, I'm simply displaying the edit page for the user's start node if they have one set. I may add some more code to show a different default node for users that don't have one set, but this covers my primary scenario.

Thanks guys.

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Apr 15, 2017 @ 22:04
    alimac

I tried doing the above, as David suggested, however the redirect doesn't seem to be firing for me?

Has the functionality changed in the latest versions of Umbraco?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to redirect a user to your custom section on login? It seems the 'Start node in content' property is limited to the content tree (obviously), but can this be changed to a custom tree node in a custom section?

• alimac 182 posts 371 karma points
    Apr 18, 2017 @ 11:52
    alimac

I'd just like to update this thread as I found a solution to the above problem ^

Instead of creating a blank user control that adds the script, I instead created a new html view, with associated angular controller (both of which I specified in the package.manifest). I then updated the dashboard.config file to point to this view.

Then within the controller I created I've put:

// Expand the reports tree by default
            navigationService.syncTree({tree: 'reports', path: ["-1","reports", "monthlyReport"], forceReload: true, activate: false});  

// Now redirect to appropriate view
            $location.url('/reports/reports/monthlyReport/all');

So effectively when the user hits my custom section, the tree will be expanded to the appropriate section via the navigationService, and then I redirect the user to that specific view.

Hope this helps someone...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft