Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Brook 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 03, 2015 @ 16:45
    Andrew Brook

Issue/Error when using CMS

Hi everyone,

I've recently started using Umbraco - everything going really well for the first week, but in the last couple of days the CMS has started failing. For example, when i'm editing my homepage, it sometimes doesnt load all the different content widgets, then I can't click to edit other content pages afterwards.

The same thing happens when I try modifying my macros - sometimes i can open one up then the UI stops responding to my clicks.

I've tried this on multiple browsers on multiple machines - so it's something going wrong with Umbraco.

I've noticed that when it starts failing I get plenty of javascript errors in the console, like the following :-

Uncaught TypeError: $ is not a function

It almost looks like jQuery just stops functioning or doesn't load properly

Any thoughts/ideas?

thanks, Andrew

• Andrew Brook 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 04, 2015 @ 21:12
    Andrew Brook

Well, i finally found out what the issue was - and i can report it was down to my own stupidity.

To track this down I had to start again from scratch on a new instance of Umbraco, slowly building my site piece by piece. I eventually got to a step where I created a new macro that would render out a MailChimp registration form. Looks like the form HTML contained the following line :

<script type='text/javascript'>(function ($) { window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array(); fnames[0] = 'EMAIL'; ftypes[0] = 'email'; fnames[1] = 'FNAME'; ftypes[1] = 'text'; fnames[2] = 'LNAME'; ftypes[2] = 'text'; }(jQuery)); var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);</script>

I haven't digested this in too much detail to work out why it then spannered my content, but presumably it's defining $ and conflicting with the subsequent jQuery calls umbraco was making.

Anyway, removing it from the macro fixed my issue and all is well again!

thanks, Andrew

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft