Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kieran 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 13:05
    Kieran

Umbraco website

Hello,

I a newbie to Umbraco, however i an intermediate ASP.NET/MVC developer.

I have started working on a project to host resources library (webpages, pdf, videos, audios etc.) and some parts will have be secured to logged-in users. I have started looking at Umbraco by setting up local instance with Fanoe starter-kit.

I wanted to know whether Umbraco can be used as a web application/website to host resources library and events management system. If yes do i have to build different document/content type etc.

In short - web application I am trying to build is is possible using Umbraco.

Many thanks

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 22:20
    Marc Goodson

Yes

Built into Umbraco is the ability to protect content areas (right click a content node and choose 'public access'), you can setup 'members' of your public umbraco site and assign them to groups; the groups can then be used to protect the content.

If your requirement is to protect media items such as PDF's, then in Umbraco these are uploaded into the media section and are accessible via ~/media/345345/filename.pdf where 345345 is a fairly random number.

There isn't out of the box the facility to protect media in the same way as content nodes, however there is an add on product called Media Protect:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/media-protect/

that does provide this functionality for a small licence fee.

The Members section is built on top of the .net membership provider, so if your members who are accessing the content actually live in an external system, then so long as you can implement a .net membership provider for the external resource you can plug it into Umbraco to use that instead to protect your content bits and pieces.

It depends on the scope of your events management system, but you could maybe see how you could create an Umbraco doc type for the properties of the event, and this would allow content to be created and published by editors for the event, and you could write code to allow the events to be searched / viewed etc.

• Kieran 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 31, 2015 @ 10:06
    Kieran

Hello Marc goodson

Thank you for your reply.

I will certainly look into protecting the content area and external add-on.

Scope of events management are:

1. add/edit event,
    2. publish event,
    3. RSVP,
    4. registration form,
    5. bookings approval/rejection,
    6. Paypal payment,
    7. auto-email (acknowledge email on registration) etc.

Couple more queries or clarifications:

1. Resources cataloging and store Meta-data properties for multi-faceted search
    2. For Single sign-on what authentication would be recommended.

Many thanks Kieran

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 22:12
    Marc Goodson

Hi Kieran

So yes it looks like you are looking at some kind of Umbraco / MVC hybrid, where Umbraco can manage the edited content - and you can hook your MVC controllers in, to handle/implmeent the functionality.

Umbraco ships with Examine https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Searching/Examine/

that enables you to search and filter content in Umbraco in custom ways.

Umbraco has the concept of Members, https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/data/members/ based on .net membership provider (so you can plugin your own authentications schemes to lock down areas of your Umbraco site, by member or membership group etc)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft