Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Aug 12, 2015 @ 15:55
    Mark

Published pages returning 404

Umbraco 7.2.6

We have an issue where published pages are displaying normally for a few hours (haven't timed precisely), but then start returning 404.

Two things seem to fix the problem:

1) Republish entire site. 2) Publish the individual page.

Is there an issue or bug that is causing this? It seems to be random.

From looking at the audit trail I can see that these pages are definitely not being "unpublished" by any users.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Aug 12, 2015 @ 17:24
    Mark Bowser

Do you see any interesting errors in the umbracoTraceLog.txt (likely in /App_Data/Logs)?

Sounds like something is happening to your xml cache on disk (usually in /App_Data/umbraco.config.). When the problem happens, does it happen to every page on the site? Or just select pages? Are you doing any interesting event handling? Are there any scheduled publishes?

Next time the error happens, open up the App_Data/umbraco.config file and see if you can find the missing node in there. Let me know if you see anything strange or interesting while looking around in there.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 13, 2015 @ 10:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is most likely related to the bug we fixed in 7.2.8, make sure to upgrade!

https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/728/

Oct 19, 2015 @ 00:45
    Mark

Hi Sabastiaan,

I'm still having a big problem with this. I can now reproduce the problem. I really hope you can help.

I upgraded my customer's website to 7.2.8, as you suggested. I have just upgraded to Umbraco 7.3.0 (following all instructions in general upgrade and 7.3.0 specific upgrade documents).

Unfortunately, one page in particular is consistently working for a short while, but then returning a 404 error. I go into the CMS, save & publish, then the page works fine. Then, some time later, it starts returning 404 error again.

I can repeat the problem by following these steps below (now using Umbraco 7.3.0):

1) Save & Publish the page (it now works normally, i.e. returning 200 status).

2) Clear the cache (delete all files in "App_Data\TEMP\ClientDependency", increment version number in "Config\ClientDependency.config", recycle application pool).

3) Now the page will return 404 error until I save & publish again. (Note, republish entire site does not fix the problem, i have to "save & publish").

If I now look into the "App_Data\umbraco.config" file, I see the node in there, and it looks normal enough to me.

From looking in the "App_Data\logs\UmbracoTraceLog.txt" all I see that looks odd is this (obviously when I'm trying to access my page):

2015-10-19 01:31:17,249 [P5852/D2/T40] WARN  Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

One very odd thing I have just noticed for the first time, is that when I try to view the page in chrome, and have developer tools open, when I expand the 404 page, there is a "referer" request header which shows a url for a different page on the site. It is this different page which originally exhibited this issue, although the different page no longer returns 404 errors.

I've worked with Umbraco for years, I have a lot of experience developing complex Umbraco CMS websites, but I've never had problems like this before. My customer who I work with on many projects is now getting very worried about Umbraco, which means I am potentially going to lose a big customer. I would be prepared to pay for support to get this issue fixed.

Could it be that my site is simply in some way corrupt? e.g. database and / or file system? Should I create a new Umbraco 7.3.0 build and then recreate the whole site from scratch? (i.e. recreate document types, data types, macros, migrate page content, etc.)

We are making heavy use of the new Umbraco 7 Grid functionality, and using many "macro" property editors within the grid on each page.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 13:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Mark we have paid support options over here: http://umbraco.com/products-and-support

Sounds super weird though, ClientDependency has absolutely nothing to do with published pages.

Could it be that you have a umbracoRedirect or umbracoInternalRedirect property on your document type that's filled in and then not linking to an existing page maybe?

Oct 19, 2015 @ 13:49
    Mark

Hi Sebastiaan,

I've checked, and no there was not an umbracoRedirect or umbracoInternalRedirect set up. Plus, that wouldn't explain why it works after "Save & Publish", as I'd expect the page to never display, not sometimes display.

I've decided to go through the hugely laborious process of setting up the site again from scratch. It's painful, but due to nobody else reporting a similar issue, I can only assume something in the database or file system has become corrupt. Perhaps something important was missed during one of the upgrades that has caused an internal issue within the database or file system somewhere. It may also be that something was missed from the instructions in the upgrade process for one of the versions I upgraded to. I'll certainly be avoiding upgrading Umbraco in the future, as I've had my fingers badly burned by this.

There is one thing you might be able to help with. When I upgraded this site to 7.3.0, all of the classes that I had added to a stylesheet (that display in the Styles dropdown in TinyMCE) have been lost. They no longer show up under the stylesheet in the Settings section. Is this an upgrade bug? Or has the functionality changed somehow?

Thanks, Mark

Oct 19, 2015 @ 14:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I can't say it's impossible that this is an upgrade issue but I find it extremely hard to belief it is due to the upgrade. Now you have me curious, still got the site + log files + database so I can have a look at it?

Don't know the rte styles, will need to check later.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 14:45
    Mark

Thanks @Sebastiaan. Yes, I still have the site (including log files) and the database. How would I get them to you?

Oct 19, 2015 @ 15:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

mail me a dropbox / wetransfer or something link on [email protected] please :)

Oct 21, 2015 @ 13:31
    Mark

I've found the problem and the obvious solution.

Sincerest apologies for wasting your time, @Mark and @Sebastiaan.

The issue was caused by having a homepage root node, plus other root nodes (without templates), whose names matched child pages of the homepage root node.

So Umbraco was having a name resolution conflict. I suppose the reason why it didn't cross my mind was because the page would work normally, and then stop working randomly, so I was always looking at the pages with templates, not thinking about other root nodes which are merely used as containers for referenced documents.

Anyway, adding a hostname for the homepage has fixed the issue.

I've no idea what Umbraco does that would make it traverse documents in a different order (from a routing perspective), but I'll be sure to remember this for the future.

Again, sincerest apologies, as I should have picked up on this, long, long ago...

• Proxicode 127 posts 323 karma points
    Jul 30, 2017 @ 20:20
    Proxicode

Thanks Marc! Spun our wheel on this for days and your solution saved us! You are a big stud! Thanks so much for sharing your solution. Our issue was on 7.4.3, so don't know if it's been changed yet, but having a root node, and a sub page with the same name as the root node was our exact issue, and renaming the sub-pages resolved the issue. Thanks again!

-Roger

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft