Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikkel Kruse Johnsen 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 08:09
    Mikkel Kruse Johnsen

Umbraco on Linux with ASP.NET 5

How far is Umbraco with support for ASP.NET 5 on Linux ?

Is it possible to get it running now.

Is MSSQL the only database to use, I see that MySQL have problems with case-insensitive, is that solved ?

Could I use PostgreSQL ?

Or is Umbraco still stuck in Windows land..

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 08:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mikkel

Since the Asp.net vnext stuff is only in alpha mode currently there is no specific date as to when this might be possible.

It's not currently possible and I think it's safe to say that it's not even close. It depends when Microsoft is making more progress on the Vnext thing, which I think is at least 2 years from now.

To avoid too many weird issues I'd recommend that you use MSSQL since MySQL should work but can be a bit too much work to get working + some of the popular and very useful 3rd party packages only support MSSQL.

I've not heard about people running Umbraco on PostgreSQL - Not saying that it can't be done...just saying that it might take some extra work and hair-pulling :)

Hope this helps a bit.

/Jan

Jul 16, 2015 @ 09:59
    Mikkel Kruse Johnsen

Hi Jan

I don't think vNext is 2 years away, it is in beta 5 right now (https://github.com/aspnet/Home). I will be released with Visual Studio 2015 or with an update i late 2015. So it is very close.

If Umbraco is planing on running on Linux and Mac OS X, then MSSQL is not going to cut it. You must support other DB's, like MariaDB and PostgreSQL at least.

Is there any work done for ASP.NET 5 (vNext) on Umbraco is there a branche ?

/Mikkel

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 16, 2015 @ 10:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Mikkel No, we haven't started this yet and work on this will be about a year away. We first need to get rid of a lot of our legacy code which we'll do in v8.

See the keynote this year's Codegarden: https://vimeo.com/132815027 (at 1 hour 21 minutes Niels talks about the coming year) and more in the roadmap panel: https://vimeo.com/channels/939955/132813336 (24 minutes in).

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 10:32
    Mike Chambers

I've had success running 7.2.6 on windows host with mysql just adding views that correspond to the tables but uppercased. But as per the previous reply if packages go direct to the dB and not via an abstraction layer then you might have insurmountable problems.

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Jul 16, 2015 @ 14:47
    Ryios

You can't use PostgreSql on umbraco because umbraco has a hard coded piece of code that basically says "If the data provider is not MySql, MSSQL, SQLCE, or Sql Express, throw an error".

However petapoco Fully Supports PostgreSQL now, and I feel that PetaPoco not supporting PostgreSQL was the initial reason why Umbraco doesn't support PostgreSQL.

It should be trivial to update Umbraco to PostgreSQL now. However PetaPoco does not yet support .Net Core 5 either. There are pieces of the reflection engine missing from .Net Core 5 that prevented me from porting it myself.

Also EF7 is the new hottness on Core 5, and Umbraco does not use EF. To easily make the move to Core 5 they might want to consider switching to EF7 from Peta Poco, but that would be a HUGE change and a big breaking change at that. Might as well rebrand it and call it UmbracoCross or something.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 16, 2015 @ 16:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

FYI: PetaPoco is not actively maintained any more and I believe for v8 we'll be switching to nPoco. Haven't checked for PostgreSQL support on that one but it has progressed quite a bit from PetaPoco (it's a fork).

• Paul Gower 28 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 15, 2016 @ 16:32
    Paul Gower

Well it looks like mid-2017 SQL Server will be on Linux so Umbraco will the be able to be on Linux with MSSQL.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03/07/announcing-sql-server-on-linux/#sm.00mk24jy1amqf6e10931aior4aibb

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Mar 10, 2018 @ 01:12
    Craig100

A dream of mine is for Umbraco to be MS free so I can build it on a Linux desktop without a Windows VM and deploy on Linux servers. Rebuild in PHP/Angular/React/etc. perhaps? I'll go back to sleep ;) zzzzzzzzz

Mar 10, 2018 @ 05:55
    Mikkel Kruse Johnsen

I have dreamt of that for a long time. But I have given up hoping that anything will happen on Umbraco.

It’s the slowest open source project I have ever seen.

I will go to sleep for a few years and then try to see again.

Mar 10, 2018 @ 10:35
    Craig100

I had to wake up and defend Umbraco. I think it's moving forward rapidly and in a great direction with a fantastic community behind it. It's its interface and extensibility that I love, just wish it wasn't MS based then it could run on more server choices and be less of a niche. Now going back to sleep.......

Jan 09, 2019 @ 08:22
    Mikkel Kruse Johnsen

Could this be the year of Umbraco on linux with docker ????

Umbraco 8 is not even out yet, more than 3 years later. It is a shame nothing is happening, in this area.

Jan 09, 2019 @ 09:16
    Craig100

Maybe once we get Umbraco on .net core it'll then run on Linux. MS servers run less than half the worlds web sites. I'd love to see Umbraco on Linux. I use it for the editor's interface despite it needing MS tools and relatively expensive servers. If it could run on cheap hosting it'd gain more traction I'm sure ;)

Sep 30, 2020 @ 12:12
    Craig100

Just came across this thread again, don't know why. Anyway, I'd just like to mention the progress that's been made. The Umbraco .Net Core Alpha is out and I've run it successfully on Linux Mint 20 against the Linux version of MSSQL server. Details here: https://umbraco.com/blog/net-core-alpha-release/ It's only the back end, it can't render anything yet.

Progress continues ;)

Nov 03, 2021 @ 07:01
    Mikkel Kruse Johnsen

So after 6 years, it finally happend.

Now we just need database support for PostgtreSQL and MariaDB.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft