Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Read 16 posts 47 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2015 @ 16:48
    Richard Read

Random white screen on website - but Umbraco is responsive

Hi,

We have a website running Umbraco 7.2.6 which appears to randomly display a white screen on the front end - but Umbraco remains accessible. We thought this occured in some kind of pattern, but seems to occur sporadically every 3 - 4 days. The solution to the problem is just to recycle the app pool

We came across this reported issue http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6669 which reported a problem with Windows Update KB3000850, thinking this might be related. The server did have this update installed, and we since uninstalled the update, however the issue still remains.

The other thing we noted was Umbraco has stopped producing text logs to the App_Data/Logs directory. We checked permissions on these directory and they both appear to be set to modify.

Has anyone got any thoughts or come across this themselves? The site is running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Thanks, Rick

Jun 25, 2015 @ 16:52
    Richard Read

Just to add - this issue might be related? http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338

Jun 26, 2015 @ 09:18
    Richard Read

Checking through Umbraco logs - found the following which correlates with the issue above. Since unistalled KB3000850 and testing to see if the locking issue has been resolved

2015-06-26 09:29:47,689 [8] ERROR umbraco.content - [T7/D2] Failed to load Xml from file. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted. at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) at Umbraco.Core.AsyncLock.Lock(Int32 millisecondsTimeout) at umbraco.content.EnsureFileLock() at umbraco.content.LoadXmlFromFile()

• Arjan H. 221 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 07:04
    Arjan H.

I'm having the same issue on a Windows 2008 R2 server. I've upgraded one of our sites to version 7.2.6 yesterday, and this morning it was showing a white screen. The back-office was still accessible, but I was unable to open any pages in the content section. A manual apppool recycle fixed the issue.

We do a scheduled apppool recycle every day at 5:00am. And immediately after this scheduled recycle the following error shows up in our logs:

2015-07-08 05:02:20,600 [6] ERROR umbraco.content - [T9/D2] Failed to load Xml from file. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted. at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) at Umbraco.Core.AsyncLock.Lock(Int32 millisecondsTimeout) at umbraco.content.EnsureFileLock() at umbraco.content.LoadXmlFromFile()

Jul 08, 2015 @ 11:31
    Arjan H.

Looks like this will be fixed in version 7.2.7: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6802

Jul 08, 2015 @ 11:42
    Richard Read

The issue has been resolved for me by uninstalling the Windows update. As a precaution I've also set app recycling on a nightly schedule, as that seems to coincide with the issue occurring. So far since removing the update, the website has remained up for a week

Jul 08, 2015 @ 12:03
    Arjan H.

Since I'm hosting on Windows Server 2008 R2 I don't think I'm affected by the KB3000850 issue. At least that update is not installed on our server. And in our case the scheduled apppool recycle was actually triggering the issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft