Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Beaugié 28 posts 80 karma points
    Apr 03, 2015 @ 23:23
    Nick BeaugiƩ

Change Document Type Parent

I want to change a document type's parent.

This is not possible in the UI (I can set other Document Type Compositions, but the check box showing the document type's parent is greyed out).

I've looked in the database and see there is table called cmsContentType, which lists the document types.

Some old blog and forum posts I found made mention of a masterContentType field in this table, which could be edited directly.

However, this does not appear to exist any more. Maybe this is due to the recent introduction of the Compositions feature? The cmsContentType2cmsContentType table corresponds to the editable text boxes that I can edit in the UI and would not need to resort to a database hack.

Can anyone help? It must be set somewhere in the database...

• Nick Beaugié 28 posts 80 karma points
    Apr 04, 2015 @ 00:01
    Nick BeaugiƩ

Actually, I found this excellent SQL script (from Flavio Spezi) that solved my problem: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/20005-Change-Existing-Document-Type-to-Inherit-from-Another?p=1

The parent relationship is held in the umbracoNode table.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2016 @ 13:05
    Ismail Mayat

Nick,

What version of umbraco did you run the script on? I have 7.5.3 and it complains about cmsPropertyTypeGroup.parentGroupId the field parentGroupId is no longer around in 7.5.3 schema.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft