Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Davis 14 posts 36 karma points
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 18:22
    Andrew Davis

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

Hello:

We have been experiencing this reoccuring issue when we try to upgrade to any version after Umbraco 7.1.9 in Visual Studio 2013 using NuGet. The update seems to go fine. We answer "NO" to overwritting the config files. We have not been able to track down why this error happens. At this point in the upgrade process we have not gotten to the database update part. This happens after building the solution and starting without debugging. 

We would greatly appreciate any help with this. We need to go live soon with the site and this is the first major upgrade issue we've experienced.

Umbraco version: 7.1.9
    asp.net: 4.0
    Windows: 8.1 Pro 

Thank you,

Below is the error we are getting:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Source Error:

Line 158:      <providers>
    Line 159:        <clear />
    Line 160:        <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersRoleProvider" />
    Line 161:      </providers>
    Line 162:    </roleManager>

Source File: C:\Users\#####\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\######\#######.WebApp\web.config    Line: 160

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34212

Feb 24, 2015 @ 17:06
    Andrew Davis

Anyone else getting this error? We tried again today to upgrade our Umbraco installation and still get the same error.

Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:14
    Andrew Davis

It's interesting to see that no other developer has had this issue while using nuget and upgrading. We have a pretty standard install of Umbraco. Just bumping this up again in case it got missed last week.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2015 @ 17:48
    Andrew Davis

I had to comment this part out in order to get the upgrade to get passed the error. Still not sure if i should proceed with the database update... I have a backup so i'm gonna try and see what happens.

<!-- Role Provider -->
        <!--<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="UmbracoRoleProvider">
          <providers>
            <clear />
            <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersRoleProvider" />
          </providers>
        </roleManager>-->
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 17:53
    Andrew Davis

Now i get this error during the upgrade (which fails)

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Source Error: 

Line 10:   <ExamineIndexProviders>
    Line 11:     <providers>
    Line 12:       <add name="InternalIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoContentIndexer, UmbracoExamine"
    Line 13:            supportUnpublished="true"
    Line 14:            supportProtected="true"

Source File: C:\Users\#####\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\######\####.######.WebApp\config\ExamineSettings.config    Line: 12 
  • Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    May 20, 2015 @ 01:13
    Daniel Bardi

I am getting the same error.  Upgrading from 6.0.6 to 6.2.5

Configuration Error

Source Error: 

Line 136:      <providers>
    Line 137:        <clear />
    Line 138:        <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersRoleProvider" />
    Line 139:      </providers>
    Line 140:    </roleManager>
  • Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    May 20, 2015 @ 21:06
    Daniel Bardi

Problem resolved.  I had code running in the constructor of a class inheriting from IApplicationEventHandler and in the OnApplicationInitialized.  This code required membership to be initialized.  Commenting the code before upgrade seems to have resolved the issue.

Server event log showed the error occurred in System.Web.Security.Membership.Initialize().

Install is running now.

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Feb 16, 2016 @ 15:54
    Steve Morgan

Just to add a potential solution for anyone else landing here after seeing this error.

I stuffed up my build scripts and therefore my web.config. I was missing all the very important keys under < appSettings > - if you do this too you'll see the error above!

• Sunshine Lewis 31 posts 140 karma points c-trib
    Aug 18, 2016 @ 18:12
    Sunshine Lewis

This exact error can also be caused by a missing Global.asax file. Turns out.

• Shahid Iqbal 3 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 18, 2018 @ 07:49
    Shahid Iqbal

Thanks Sunshine. In my case i had the same issue. Global.asax was missing on live sercer

• LesMac 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 12:48
    LesMac

I had this issue. Turned out I messed up the umbracoDbDSN connection string on a web.config transform.

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 13:02
    Harry Spyrou

Just to add to this:

Run into the same error when I tried to create a Global.asax.cs

In your Global.asax.cs:

using System.Web.Mvc;
    using System.Web.Routing;
    using Umbraco.Web;

namespace Myapp.Web
    {
        //This class has to inherit from UmbracoApplication or else you get an error
        public class Global : UmbracoApplication
        {
            protected void Application_Start()
                {
                 //stuff in here
                };
            }
        }
    }

For anyone that missed it:

if your class doesn't inherit from UmbracoApplication, you'll get the same error

• Markus Johansson 1909 posts 5733 karma points MVP c-trib
    Nov 15, 2021 @ 23:52
    Markus Johansson

I had the same error when I was setting up a new deploy pipeline.

Turns out that global.asax wasn't copied to the deploy-directory. After adding this files things worked.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft