Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 91 posts 237 karma points
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 14:54
    Matt

TinyMCE - Paste from Word not working

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/54785-Paste-from-word,-help-needed

Following the advice above and in other threads, I cannot seem to get Paste From Word functionality working in Umbraco 7. 

I have enabled the new property on the RTE datatype, and the code is as follows:

<command>

<umbracoAlias>mcePasteAsWord</umbracoAlias>

<icon>images/editor/paste.gif</icon>

<tinyMceCommand value="" userInterface="true" frontendCommand="pasteword">pasteword</tinyMceCommand>

<priority>79</priority>
    </command>

The button does not appear on the UI. However if I change the frontendCommand to "pastetext" it works fine.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 14:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

What browser are you using? And what exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using? Unfortunately it's a common issue but it should actually work in v7 as it's based on TinyMce 4 where support has been improved. But I guess it can depend on the browser being used still.

/Jan

Feb 10, 2015 @ 14:58
    Matt

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.43 beta-m (64-bit). And Umbraco 7.2.1. I've hard cleared chrome cache as advised in previous threads.

Also tested in IE 11 with no luck.

Feb 10, 2015 @ 15:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

Aaah, sorry - Think I misunderstood you there perhaps - The issue is that you don't see the button at all?

Did you also recycle the app pool after making the change? When editing the files in the /config/ folder you always need to do this in order for changes to take effect.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 10, 2015 @ 15:42
    Matt

Exactly, the button doesn't show. I have tried recycling the app pool etc as you have mentioned.

However the button DOES show if I change the frontendCommand to pastetext rather than pasteword (everything else exactly the same).

Feb 10, 2015 @ 16:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

Aaah, I think it's because the pasteword option is no longer available in tinymce from v 4 as 0100 also writes in the post you're referring too. The list of available TinyMce plugins does only show a "paste" option http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Plugins and it seems that it's the one that should be used according to the information on http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Plugins

So instead of trying to initialize "pasteword" you should go with pastetext as it's shown in the example from the post you're referring.

So that would be like this

<command>
        <umbracoAlias>mcePasteAsText</umbracoAlias>
        <tinyMceCommand value="" userInterface="true" frontendCommand="pastetext">pastetext</tinyMceCommand>
        <priority>79</priority>
    </command>

<config key="paste_as_text">true</config>
    <config key="paste_text_sticky">true</config>
    <config key="paste_text_sticky_default">true</config>

You should be able to paste from word using this as I understand what it says on the page on tinymce.

Hope this clears things up.

/Jan

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 03:08
    Tom Fulton

Thanks for sharing all, just stumbling on this and it helped me out greatly.

In 7.3.0, the paste plugin seems to be doing the trick for me:

<command>
        <umbracoAlias>mcePaste</umbracoAlias>
        <tinyMceCommand value="" userInterface="true" frontendCommand="paste">paste</tinyMceCommand>
        <priority>79</priority>
      </command>

<config key="paste_word_valid_elements">b,strong,i,em,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,ul,li,a,p,br</config>

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:40
    Matthew Kirschner

I'm having trouble getting this button to work with Umbraco 7.4.1

The button appears but nothing is pasted from my clipboard.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:53
    Matthew Kirschner

On second thought, I'm not even sure this paste button is needed anymore. In the past (Umbraco < 7.2.8), the formatting when pasting text from Word was all over the place. After upgrading to 7.4.1, copying from Word seems to work perfectly with the standard copy/paste shortcuts. Does anyone know what extra functionality this button might add?

• Bendik Engebretsen 105 posts 202 karma points
    Mar 21, 2017 @ 09:49
    Bendik Engebretsen

Running Umbraco 7.5.9 I can confirm that just normal pasting from Word works well, all the formatting clutter is removed. However, I have a problem with nordic characters, they disappear when pasting into tinyMce. But if I go via notepad (or textedit on Mac) it works fine. Does any one have any experience with this?

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Nov 22, 2017 @ 15:10
    Jonathan Roberts

Hi, Im using 7.7.2 and I couldnt see how to Paste from Word. I was expecting a pop-up to appear when i click on the icon in the tool bar but nothing happens. Do you know what the Config file needs to look like?

Thanks

Jon

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Dec 22, 2017 @ 12:29
    Jonathan Roberts

There is a Power Paste in V4 of Tiny MCE - but 7.7.2 uses V3 of Timy MCE.

• mmaty 109 posts 281 karma points
    Jun 25, 2018 @ 07:25
    mmaty

I'm using versions > 7.7.7 and can't get rid of these <style> attributes. I tried everything listed above and in the other sources listed as links here. But there is obviously something I missed. How exactly do I have to alter an out-of-the-box tinyMceConfig.config file to paste from word without getting the styles?

Currently a paste from word looks like that:

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 10.66px;"><span style="margin: 0px;">Absatz 1 Test Test.</span></p>

So, the style attributes and span tags shouldn't appear.

Does anybody have any insights?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft