Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lars Nederberg 29 posts 84 karma points
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:27
    Lars Nederberg

Insert external image in RTE

I realized i could not add an external image in the RTE whithout editing the raw html. This is a problem for some clients not knowing their html.

I was expecting similar experience as in the link dialog where the user can paste any url. 

Is there something that im missing or do i have to build my own insert external image plugin for the RTE?

/ Lars

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

By inserting external images what do you then mean? Is it images from other websites or is i images from disk, which has not been uploaded to Umbraco yet?

And what exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using?

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:45
    Lars Nederberg

Hi Jan 

Yes i mean images from other websites.

Im using version 7.2.1

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:46
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Lars.

At the moment you canĀ“t add external image in the RTE whithout editing the raw html, but as Jan said you can use the upload property editor which allow the user to add the image from there disk without first upload the image to the Umbraco media section http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/using-umbraco/backoffice-overview/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/Upload

I think I could be a nice feature to have the option to link to an external image, therefor I think that you should make a feature request on the issue tracker. http://issues.umbraco.org/ So HQ know that you think it could be nice to have. Or perhaps if you or other community users make the plugin, then you could create it as a pull-request.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

Ok, but have you tried using the "Embed" function perhaps? It can be used for embedding videos etc. and I'm thinking it's perhaps also be able to embed images from other websites perhaps even though they will probably be embedded using an iframe - At least it's worth a try.

If it's not possible you need to build your own functionality in order to be able to achieve this since it's not something that is supported in TinyMce as far as I know and not something that has been possible before unless my memory fails me :)

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Btw you should probably do some research about deep-linking to images. I'm actually not sure whether it's allowed or not since it increasing the traffic from the source server everytime the image is being loaded on your website. I would probably be a bit frustrated if you deep-linked an image from my website so I had to deal with the extra traffic costs unless we had an agreement that it was ok to do so.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 08:57
    Lars Nederberg

Hi Jan

In the old RTE you could paste any url in the add image plugin. It also had width and height as inputs which are also missing in latest version. 

/ Lars

Jan 14, 2015 @ 09:00
    Lars Nederberg

Jan

I think it should be possible to deep link to a cdn that customers are responsible for.

/ Lars

Jan 14, 2015 @ 09:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

Ah, ok - It's been too long since I had a glance :)

But then it might be something the HQ guys have missed when re-implementing the RTE for Umbraco 7. It's probably something you should report on the issue tracker then. If you're going to have a look at it anyway I'm sure HQ and the rest of the community will be very happy if you decide to make a pull request for it.

Even though it has been possible in previous versions then I think it's still important to consider if deeplinking to images is a good idea - of course if there is an agreement it's fine. If not then there is a risk of the images being blocked or perhaps the image is just deleted from the source one day, which also affects your website. I'm not saying one should not do it, just consider the scenarios.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 09:04
    Jan Skovgaard

@Lars - Yes, that makes sense - And then there is a clear agreement / reason for doing so. Just writing it because others who come across it might not be aware of issues if they're deeplinking to images from other websites. It's of course perfectly fine when it's their own CDN :)

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 09:44
    Lars Nederberg

Jan and Dennis

Thanks for your quick replies. I created an issue for this. 

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6122

/ Lars

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 28, 2016 @ 10:59
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Lars,

There is some package, it might help - https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/remote-media-picker/

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft