Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danny Leech 36 posts 114 karma points
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 22:46
    Danny Leech

Configure grid layout to remove nesting

Hi, I need a control for adding repeatable content (title, richtext, image etc). The grid layout control looks like its the future for managing repeatble content in umbraco however it appears that at its simplest the grid layout must offer nesting of sections. ie the option to add both elements and rows that contain more elements. My question... Is it possible to configure the grid layout to permit either one row with multiple elements or multiple rows each with one element therefore removing the nested delete/move controls and the duplicaed add element options. In my use case where I'm only concered with read order ie a single column this would provide an improved user editing experience. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Danny 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 05:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Danny

I have not played with the new grid enough to answer your question in a clear way and I'm not sure what you're asking is possible or not. However I think you can might benefit from reading the documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors-v7/Grid-Layout-Best-Practices and here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/using-umbraco/backoffice-overview/property-editors/built-in-property-editors-v7/Grid-Layout if you have not read this already.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Rune Hem Strand 147 posts 911 karma points hq c-trib
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 09:29
    Rune Hem Strand

Hi Danny

Not 100% sure what you're referring to when talking about nesting, can you give an example of what you're trying to do? As it is now it is not possible to turn off controls for specific elements. What you can do is restrict what options are available to the editor.

• When configuring your Grid Layout, select a section and uncheck the Allow all editors option and choose the desired Row Configuration(s)
    • When configuring your Row Configuration, select a cell and uncheck the Allow all editors option and choose the desired Property Editor(s)

This will limit the options to only allow the property editors that your design requires. Screenshot Besides the documentation mentioned above by Jan there is also a chapter on Grid Layouts on umbraco.tv.

Rune

• Danny Leech 36 posts 114 karma points
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 12:24
    Danny Leech

Thanks Jan and Rune for your help!

I have read those articles you mention Jan but they're not helping me in this situation... I don't think I've explained myself very well but essentially I'm after a single column layout ie a layout with no side bars. But I still need the ability to add repeatable content blocks such as title, text, videos, an image gallery etc. In this use case the options to manage additional rows are unecessary and I beleive will create a less than ideal editing experience. Where a layout has only one 100% width row I would expect row management options to be disabled, only being available when there are two or more row options to chose from. In the attached screenshot I've higlighted (red) the controls which I beleive are not necessary in a single column layout.

I'm guesing theres no option to disable these though...

Thanks again,

Danny

• Petr Hruzek 28 posts 100 karma points
    Jun 05, 2015 @ 00:53
    Petr Hruzek

I totally agree. Grid layout is overcomplicated for a lot of tasks and I would really appreciate something simplier. For instance to write an article I don't need neither columns, nor rows. I just need collection of controls like heading, image, rte.

Maybe Grid layout editor should be split into two separate editors, Grid layout and something like "Multicontrol editor". Then you could choose to use either Multicontrol editor for simple layout or Grid layout (that contains Multicontrol editors as its cells) for more complicated layout tasks.

I understand I can use Grid layout as it is now and just ignore columns and rows, but it is very confusing.

• Evangelos Lolos 7 posts 98 karma points
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 12:58
    Evangelos Lolos

The closest I've found to this is this pull request.

Using the above link as a reference, I've tried to restrict the number of cells per row and the number of controls per cell. Unfortunately, I've been unsuccessful so far.

By limiting each row to one cell only, you can have a stackable full-width widget layout. Then you can either create one row per widget or create a row configuration with multiple fullwidth cells that allow only one editor each.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 17:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

I missed the former posts on this one - But regarding something simpler than the grid it is possible to use the wonderfull "Nested Content" package made by Lee Kelleher and Matt Brailsford.

It allows you to setup some document types (which are not supposed to be used as pages but for the nested content property editor) then you can have different partials/ribbons that the site can be made up of (in 1 column) for instance.

Read more about it here https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/nested-content/ and make sure to see the documentation by clicking the "documentation" tab.

I have been using it on many projects now and I like the flexibility it offers.

The grid should be considered as an alternative / replacement of the rich text editor.

Hope this is useful to some of you.

/Jan

• Rishabh 24 posts 94 karma points
    Aug 04, 2016 @ 12:18
    Rishabh

Hi guys,

I need to customize the grid layout like these things please help to me

1) row an incons menu is displayed. Only the "delete" icon must be diplayed, not a configuration icon.

2) When i select a content after "Add content", the content is inserted and it allows to add mor content into that grid item. The system must allow only one content for each grid item.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft