Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 13:02
    John C Scott

ucomponents data type grid

With the demise of uComponents in v7, with some of it's best parts going to the core and others not, I'm wondering what is the best thing to use for a simple data type grid. The new grid control as far as I can see is something completely different. I'm aware of archetype but that's a lot more complex. The nice thing about the DTG was it's simplicity, it only supported simple controls and so was relatively easy to use, explain, and code for. Archetype is awesome but IMHO has a much steeper learning curve for a non-technical editor.

There appears to be no equivalent in the core now. Or am I missing something?

I've had a good experience with the u7 grid project and this would be what I'd be inclined to use instead. 

I'm upgrading a project from v4.11 to v7.2 with a lot of ucomponents in it, would this be the best thing to use?

Also I have a little copy and paste tool to paste into grids from excel that might make a useful resuable tool, but it doesn't feel right to use this with a non core data type, would that be a useful thing to package?

ucomponents became almost semi-core for a while in that you could reasonably assume many projects would probably have it. this project is a good case in point, the company has 10 sites all with a variety of v4.xxx and uComponents as the only package used.

Just wondering if I've missed something. Data grids were handy, is it just archetype now?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 15:28
    Lee Kelleher

Hi John,

As far as I'm aware the U7 Grid Data Type package is the only alternative for v7.

I have no idea how it would work in terms of raw-data compatibility, as in I doubt you could hot-swap the uComponents' DataTypeGrid with it after upgrading.

An "out there" alternative solution could be to make use of the Child List Views, see the v7.2.0 release blog post about the new customisations - that would give a better (native) "data grid" view. (I'm hesitant of overusing the term "Grid", as it has too many contexts now).

Cheers,
    - Lee

Jan 06, 2015 @ 16:50
    John C Scott

interesting thanks Lee very much appreciated :)

I like the List View idea but I think if I was copy & pasting a spreadsheet i'd expect it to be stored in a single node rather than lots of child nodes - cms import makes more sense for that sort of thing 

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 16:55
    Lee Kelleher

Sure. Looks like U7 Grid Data Type might be the current viable option.

Jan 07, 2015 @ 18:06
    John C Scott

no in the end tried both and archetype is just fine :) so lovely in fact :D

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 06:51
    Robert J. Bullock

John, have you been able to migrate your data from uComponents data type grid to Archetype? I think I'm going to need to do that somehow...

Apr 13, 2015 @ 01:26
    John C Scott

Hi Robert - yes I was able to do this

I created a second property and wrote the values from one to the other using the newtonsoft json library

If I was doing it now though I'd probably consider using the Nested Content package from Lee & Matt B 

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/nested-content

• Paul Aikman 43 posts 97 karma points
    Feb 18, 2017 @ 16:43
    Paul Aikman

Anyone still looking for a replacement in U7?

I'm working on a proof of concept control supporting backwards compatibility at the moment.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft