Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• marcelh 171 posts 471 karma points
    Oct 02, 2014 @ 12:42
    marcelh

Error with SheduledPublishing, underlying connection was closed

Yesterday a Umbraco 7.1.6 website moved from the staging to the production domain. Since this production site started yesterday, every minute I get these two sheduled publishing related messages: - ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 44] Error in ping - ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 38] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing

Note that the production domain uses SSL/https and IIS url rewrite has been setup to redirect users to https, which works as intended for all users. I haven't setup content distribution, it's a standalone website.

Has anyone got a clue where I should start looking? The complete error messages below.

2014-10-02 12:11:08,191 [5] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 44] Error in ping System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)

2014-10-02 12:39:38,682 [5] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 38] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)

Oct 02, 2014 @ 14:24
    marcelh

One step closer, the issue appears to have something to do with SSL redirection in IIS, using the rule below, In the web.config umbracoUseSSL is set to true.

<rule name="Redirect to HTTPS" stopProcessing="true">
              <match url="(.*)" />
              <conditions>
                <add input="{HTTPS}" pattern="^OFF$" />
              </conditions>
              <action type="Redirect" url="https://{HTTP_HOST}/{R:1}" redirectType="Permanent" />
            </rule>

• Mark Stedman 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 22, 2014 @ 21:35
    Mark Stedman

We are getting the same scheduled publish error -- did you resolve it by changing the umbracoUseSSL to true? Ours is False right now.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 22, 2014 @ 21:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Could it be related to this issue? http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5379 - The weird thing though is that it seems the reported issue should have been fixed in 7.1.6 though...

/Jan

Oct 23, 2014 @ 09:58
    marcelh

@Mark, no I've tried that but that didn't solve it. The value of umbracoUseSSL is set to true.

@Jan, if I turn OFF the urlRewrite rule to force HTTPS, all goes well. It seems to be related to the urlRewrite, although this seems a very common scenario to me.

The odd thing though is, that when I use a System.Net.WebClient from my local development machine to connect to this URL, all goes well and I can watch the resonse.

Following the errormessages in the logs, I scanned the the IIS logs and I can't find any requests to the /umbraco/ping.aspx nor the /umbraco/RestServices/ScheduledPublish/Index

Oct 23, 2014 @ 10:09
    marcelh

(never mind, replied twice)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 23, 2014 @ 18:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marcelh

Sounds weird indeed - Perhaps you could try to add a comment about it to the issue I linked above? Just to see if some of the much brighter guys who have had a dialogue there may respond?

Could be a bug or because something needs to be setup differently.

/Jan

• Ian Black 54 posts 230 karma points
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 13:27
    Ian Black

I'm having a very similar problem where my logs are being filled every minute with these errors:

2014-10-30 12:20:24,139 [7] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 55] Error in ping System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive.Start(Object sender)

2014-10-30 12:20:54,154 [7] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 10] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Start(ApplicationContext appContext)

I too am running under SSL using rules within IIS but even removing these rules I still receive these errors. Visiting /umbraco/ping.aspx works but /umbraco/RestServices/ScheduledPublish/Index brings back a 404.

Oct 30, 2014 @ 13:43
    marcelh

Hi Ian, that sounds exactly like the same problem. I noticed /umbraco/RestServices/ScheduledPublish/Index responds with a 404 as well.

I haven't solved it yet, but keep us posted if you do.

• Matthias Bier 30 posts 90 karma points
    Nov 06, 2014 @ 16:09
    Matthias Bier

Seems like I have the same problem - I had SSL settings in place but removed those now. The error

ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 55] Error in ping System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out...

still appears. Also for me /umbraco/RestServices/ScheduledPublish/Index responds with a 404...

Nov 07, 2014 @ 12:57
    marcelh

Well, interesting enough, you receive "The operation has timed out", I receive "The underlying connection was closed". That sounds different but may have the same root cause.

• Vishal G.P 62 posts 122 karma points
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 10:50
    Vishal G.P

did you guys solve this issue? I'm experiencing the same issue and have also a SSL redirect rule in place.

Jan 15, 2015 @ 15:52
    marcelh

Upgrading to Umbraco 7.1.9 solved it for me.

• Vishal G.P 62 posts 122 karma points
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 15:53
    Vishal G.P

yup... i upgraded too (7.2.1) and the problem is solved..

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 23:30
    Rasmus Fjord

i still got this issue on a totally new 7.2.1 and its not even using SSL. 

• Samuel Benkovič 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 30, 2015 @ 08:49
    Samuel Benkovič

same here. i found a bug report of this problem already. http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6085

• Gus Braz 14 posts 38 karma points
    Feb 16, 2015 @ 01:12
    Gus Braz

@Rasmus - I have the same problem using 7.2.1 and not even using SSL

• Michael Sims 119 posts 387 karma points
    Apr 13, 2015 @ 16:53
    Michael Sims

Did anyone figure this one out?

• Nick Hoang 51 posts 180 karma points
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 03:41
    Nick Hoang

I have same issue, that because my VPS, I can open website on the server, maybe because dns problem. My solution is change dns to 8.8.8.8 or add website domain to host file like: 127.0.0.1 domain.com

Hope it help ;)

• David Dimmer 76 posts 134 karma points
    Jun 29, 2016 @ 23:00
    David Dimmer

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Same issue Umbraco 7.4.3

Related Issue

• Bo Jacobsen 593 posts 2389 karma points
    Oct 18, 2016 @ 09:09
    Bo Jacobsen

Anyone found a solution?

Running 7.1.5 and SSL

2016-10-18 10:57:27,713 [6] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 40] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing
    System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(String address, String data)
       at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Start(ApplicationContext appContext)

This stops us from being able to save and publish a page.

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2018 @ 08:39
    Simon Dingley

@bo, see if my solution in this thread helps. I am forcing TLS1.2 in the ApplicationStarting event of my ApplicationEventHandler.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft