Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Jun 19, 2014 @ 11:06
    Rob Watkins

v7 umbracoUrlAlias not working?

I'm having problems using umbracoUrlAlias on a v7 site. I've used it in virtually all sites on earlier versions with no problems so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I have a base document type containing the umbracoUrlAlias property, and a child document type that my page is.

Link to document on properties page is /user-portal/questionnaire/

Alias is: my-account/Questionnaire

Browsing to http://server/user-portal/Questionnaire works, http://server/my-account/Questionnaire does not.

I have no URL rewrite rules set up. I've saved and published everything.

Don't really know where to look! I can set up URL rewrite rules instead but it's a bit annoying having to maintain them as well as the page URLs.

EDIT: Just tried removing it from the base document type and adding it to the specific document type of the page; still no joy.

EDIT 2: Just to be clear on why URL rewriting is suboptimal, if the content node page name is changed, all the rewrite rules will stop working; adding an umbracoUrlAlias allows me to create an unchanging page link, which is essential for allowing custom functionality that may not be aware of Umbraco to link around the site.

If there is a better way of creating unchanging canonical URLs I'm all ears!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 19, 2014 @ 11:35
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Rob,

Which version of Umbraco 7 are you using. Then I will try to see if I can reproduce the issue too.

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Dennis

Jun 19, 2014 @ 12:06
    Rob Watkins

Hi Dennis, version reported is: Umbraco version 7.1.3 assembly: 1.0.5250.13487

Jun 19, 2014 @ 12:52
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Rob,

I think I found out why you can´t get the umbracoUrlAlias to work on your site. I tried copy your path to one of the page of the starter kit site, and then I get the 404 page as you. But if I change the the path to the page, from my-account/Questionnaire to my-account/questionnaire it just work fine.

I think that the umbracoUrlAlias are not happy with uppercase letters in the path that you want the url to response on. All URL´s in Umbraco are lowercase.

So try to change from:

my-account/Questionnaire

To:

my-account/questionnaire

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jun 19, 2014 @ 14:29
    Rob Watkins

Oh my God, you are completely right! So simple I didn't even think of it!

Thanks for looking into it, I will change all my URLs now. They look better lowercase anyway, I just had my head stuck in MVC world :)

Rob

Jun 19, 2014 @ 14:31
    Rob Watkins

Oh for heaven's sake...

Had a total brain failure and clicked my reply as the answer rather than your post, sorry! If any mods want to change it, please do.

Jun 19, 2014 @ 14:44
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Rob,

Glad that I could help you get the problem solve.

/Dennis

• Remi 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 17:55
    Remi

I was searching why the property was not working for me and i came across this post.

Solution for me was to write the property case sensitively in the property editor.

I had written umbracoURLAlias but the system requires it to be named: umbracoUrlAlias .

I hope this helps someone.

• Harvey 28 posts 122 karma points
    Sep 27, 2016 @ 20:07
    Harvey

umbracoUrlAlias doesn't seem to work for me, but umbracoUrlName does.

Was this changed at some point?

I can see on an Umbraco 6 installation that umbracoUrlAlias, but on an umbraco 7 installation only umbracoUrlName works.

• Gerhard Grossberger 54 posts 178 karma points
    Oct 28, 2016 @ 07:31
    Gerhard Grossberger

Worked ok for me in 7.4.3 - had to type the field name umbracoUrlAlias correctly and make sure that the entered string is lowercase, too. So if I add myPageName it won´t work, but mypagename does.

• Bex 444 posts 555 karma points
    May 10, 2017 @ 14:38
    Bex

I know it's been a while, but did any of you come across problems getting this to work? I'm running Umbraco 7.3.0 and have tried lower case, umbracoUrlName and umbracoUrlAlias and none of them seem to work.

Do I have to republish the site or "touch" the web config or any some such?

Also to add, for others who may come across this post, during my searching I have found on this issue for 7.4.3 it describes the difference between "umbracoUrlName" and "umbracoUrlAlias".

It also could possibly mean on my 7.3.0 that it wasn't working.

It says:

he umbracoUrlAlias allows you to assign the complete url the content should be reached at. If you set it to /this/is/my/url you will be able to reach the page at that url relative to your site root: http://site.com/this/is/my/url

The umbracoUrlName allows you to assign a different "part" to be used when the url is being built. This means that Umbraco will use whatever is in umbracoUrlName for building the url part for this node when constructing urls:

If you have Page > SubPage > SubSubPage the url would be: http://site.com/page/subpage/subsubpage

If you then put test in umbracoUrlName on SubPage your url would be built as: http://site.com/page/test/subsubpage

• denisedelbando 141 posts 339 karma points
    Jul 28, 2017 @ 15:23
    denisedelbando

if your page is alias has spaces like 'this is it too', this-is-it-too doesnt work but 'thisisittoo' works. why is it like this? also, why can't i add it in properties page? i liked the old one where when you add this property it generates a link.

I have to keep guessing what the url is

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft