Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Håkansson 66 posts 192 karma points
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 17:15
    Sean Håkansson

Umbraco 7.1 install problem (windows 8.1)

Hello!

I'm using .net 4.51 framework as target framework, windows 8.1 & iis 8.5.

I had major pains trying to install via nuget, I got all tons of different errors for each install, including one instance were umbraco core dlls wouldn't copy.

I decided to just do a clean install using only files provided in zip file. This finally booted up the new install screen, i entered my user details and selected customize install with MSSQL (2008),

PostValidateDatabaseConnection said OK, continued with no starter kit and then it stops with A server error occured.

1. ExceptionMessage"Method not found: 'System.Object Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ToObject(System.Type)'."
    2. ExceptionType"System.MissingMethodException"
    3. Message"An error has occurred."
    4. StackTrace" at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.StepRequiresExecution(InstallSetupStep step, JToken instruction) ↵ at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.PostPerform

My colleague who is running windows 7 managed to run the installer without any issues, so this might either be something funky with my machine or something related to windows 8 possibly.

Have a great weekend everyone,
    Cheers, Sean.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 17:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

Did you check the nuget installation documentation?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Apr 04, 2014 @ 17:45
    Sean Håkansson

Hi Jan,

Created a clean project and did the VS2013 instructions precisely as the text said, still same issue with the json.NET method not found.

I will try again on monday, hopefully a computer shutdown might help.

Thanks for you time & have a great weekend!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 19:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

Hmm, perhaps you're missing a framework or something?

Could I talk you into trying to make an installation using Webmatrix? Why you may ask...well because the neat thing about doing the initial install this way is that webmatrix makes sure any dependencies for Umbraco will be installed before Umbraco is installed. So if you need a specific version of .net to be installed and some mssql server components for instance webmatrix takes care of installing that before trying to install Umbraco.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, and enjoy the weekend as well :)

/Jan

• Johannes Döring 4 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 05, 2014 @ 15:10
    Johannes Döring

I'm having the same issue with installing Umbraco 7.1 in VS 2013 using Nuget.

I can help debugging.

Johannes

Apr 05, 2014 @ 16:49
    Johannes Döring

Ok, after some debugging I know the problem.

The nuget installation installs Json.Net in version 4.5 which is from 2012 and doesn't have that function yet.

System.Object Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ToObject  That feature came availiable at arround september 2013.

However if I go to Nuget manager and to updates to update Json.Net I get the error:

Install failed. Rolling back...

Updating 'Newtonsoft.Json 4.5.11' to 'Newtonsoft.Json 6.0.2' failed. Unable to find a version of 'UmbracoCms.Core' that is compatible with 'Newtonsoft.Json 6.0.2'.

Could someone of the guys maintaining the Nuget packages please fix this issue, just define a dependecy to Newtonsoft.Json which is actually compatible.

Thanks

Johannes

• James Patterson 53 posts 192 karma points
    Apr 05, 2014 @ 19:48
    James Patterson

Decided to have a play with the latest version today too and I'm having the same problem but with Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2012.

Downloaded the 7.1 source and debugged and I get the same error. I've also downloaded Umbraco zip file and ran it in IIS but having similar issues - after selecting a starter kit (or not) I get "A server error occurred".

I installed v5.0.8 of the Newtonsoft.Json nuget package and installed just fine but the error still occurs even though the JToken class in that version has the method in the error.

Very odd.

Thanks,
    James
  • James Patterson 53 posts 192 karma points
    Apr 06, 2014 @ 13:25
    James Patterson

Right, I've fixed it on my machine. After @cultiv mentioned that it sounds like the incompatible version is in the GAC, I decided to check again with the following command and version 4.5 was in there;

gacutil -l > c:\assemblies.txt 

Next, I tried uninstalling it;

gacutil -u "Newtonsoft.Json"

But the assembly was required by the Windows Installer and Windows wouldn't let me uninstall it. To solve this issue, I followed the 'Workaround' here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873195. Once I did that I was able to uninstall using the gacutil as stated above.

...and that's it! 7.1 installs perfectly.

Oh, and just in case you don't know, the gacutil tool is here (in Windows 7 anyway): C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools

Hopefully this works for everyone else with this problem.

Thanks,
    James 

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 06, 2014 @ 14:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@James Out of curiosity, which version was in the GAC?

Do I understand correctly that everybody with this problem has started out with a windows 8.1 version (as in: you didn't upgrade from windows 8)?

Apr 07, 2014 @ 00:17
    Johannes Döring

Great, that worked, after removing that registry key I could also remove the assembly from the gac. Still wondering which application needed it, I guess something else will not work now, what needed it?

Unluckiliy I didn't check the version from the gac before I removed it, sorry can't check anymore.

Thanks

Johannes

Apr 07, 2014 @ 09:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just checked out a clean install of win 8.1 and it doesn't come with it out of the box, this machine has VS2013 express installed as well so that's not where it came from either.

Either way, will need to find a way to use whatever is in the bin folder instead of the one in GAC (which I seem to remember is probably not going to be easy).

Apr 07, 2014 @ 09:52
    Sean Håkansson

I'm choosing the hack/workaround as a temp. solution.

This blog article is worth reading, it covers the solution a bit better than the Microsoft article.

The reason why I jumped the gun on win 8 was because it was working on my colleague's win. 7 machine,
    now we know its GAC related.

Could some forum mod please change title of thread to reflect issue better? (I can't find the edit button).

@Sebastiaan do you know if umbraco 7.1 uses these methods for other stuff,
    i.e is it 'safe' to have machines who are not affected by the GAC do the install and then use my maschine for all other development?
    I havent encountered any other JSON related errors in past versions (of 7) that I know of. 

Thanks
    Sean.

Apr 07, 2014 @ 10:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ps. You can use –IgnoreDependencies when updating json.net in the package manager console. That way you can update it to the latest version. I can not give guarantees that the new version works correctly with our current code though.

Apr 08, 2014 @ 14:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just an update, we released a new version to tackle this exact problem, sorry for your troubles! http://umbra.co/1svNHKb

• Kristopher Cargile 1 post 23 karma points
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 21:50
    Kristopher Cargile

Hi guys,

I still ran into this issue with the 7.1.1 package using the package manager UI in VS2013 on Windows8.1. Running the update manually via the package manager window got me past the JSON.NET depedency problem:

Update-Package UmbracoCms -ProjectName TheMostAmazingProjectInTheWorld.web -Version 7.1.1

However, the upgrade still failed. Trying a number of times yielded a different, albeit similar, errors each time. For example:

Update-Package : Expected "$(_PublishProfileSet)" to evaluate to a boolean instead of "", in condition 
    "$(_PublishProfileSet) And '$(PublishProfileName)' =='' And '$(WebPublishProfileFile)'==''".  C:\Program
    Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets
    Update-Package : A numeric comparison was attempted on "$(TargetPlatformVersion)" that evaluates to "" instead of a number, in condition "'$(TargetPlatformVersion)' > '8.0'".  C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets

Some further digging implicated R# 8.x, which I do have installed:

https://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/3996
    http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RSRP-405915

The recommended solution of performing a repair on R# did not remedy the issue for me. However, disabling R# for the duration of the upgrade did allow it to complete successfully (still only using the PM console).

Note that, in my case at least, each time a failure occurred Nuget would report that the upgrade was rolled back, but it was not. The failure left the target project in a completely invalid and unusable state, forcing a restore from backup. Because of project file caching in VS, it is also necessary to restart VS after restoring before the project will reload successfully. Do not neglect warnings in the upgrade docs to backup your source and database.

-k

Apr 14, 2014 @ 10:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh my! Thank you so much for finding that! I can confirm that all of the erratic behavior I've seen with NuGet seems fixed if you start devenv.exe with /Resharper.Suspend (so it doesn't load the ReSharper plugin).

I've added info to their issue tracker and hope this can get resolved in an update on ReSharper's end soon.

• Tony Bolton 83 posts 109 karma points
    Jun 02, 2014 @ 21:32
    Tony Bolton

Hey guys,

I can confirm this is still a problem with 7.1.4 and Resharper 8.2.2160.  As mentioned above, disabling Resharper did the trick.

This was on Windows 7 VS 2012.

Cheers,

Tony

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Feb 19, 2015 @ 23:12
    Jesper Hauge

Just saw this very problem on a VS2013.4 R# 8.2.1 install for a couple of evenings, until I discovered this thread and updated to R# 9 (will have to deal with the licence costs later).

Problem seems to be fixed in latest version of R#

Regards Jesper Hauge

• shinsuke nakayama 109 posts 250 karma points
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 05:24
    shinsuke nakayama

Hi guys,

I was having exactly same problem, when installing Umbraco 7.2.8. I suspended Resharper and it worked fine.

Weird thing I use to test alot when 7.2 first came out. and back then i didn't have to suspend resharper, so i'm assuming this was introduced again recently?

• Carl Sargunar 68 posts 90 karma points MVP 3x
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 11:03
    Carl Sargunar

UGH!!! F YOU RESHARPER!! Just lost 2 hours to this pain in the A$$

Thanks to all reponses though - wish I found this first :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft