Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Topic author was deleted

Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:30

Avoiding conflicting edits

Hi all,

I'm working on a new package that will allow the content editors to see where other editors are in the content structure.

You can view a small preview here http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/co6Vjvf8Lc

Currently it shows the status in the tree with a small overlay and also on the page with the different user gravatar images

Would appreciate any input you can give to make this as good as possible

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:41
    Ravi Motha

I like the avatars in the page, it would be nice to have some text in front to amplify the message

Users editing: Avatar 1 avatar 2

Feedback on tree the the avatar in the tree, I think it needs to be a bit more distinctice, its a bit too subtle and can be missed

might be nice to have a colour change to indicate content is being edited along with bigger bolder(might just be colour change) Icon

Nice to have Would be good to have a admins who is logged in where page as a dashboard.. so a quick way of seeing who is in and out etc

but love the idea

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:43
    Rasmus Fjord

That is one awesome idea Tim.

This is just 2 ideas for it

• A dashboard page on "content" with a view of where and who are editing. (gimmick'ish)
    • Making a node "unenter/uneditable/locked" if other user is on it. So no double saving occurs. Or put it in a "view" state so you cannot edit
  • Marc Goodson 2126 posts 14218 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:44
    Marc Goodson

if a user starts 'editing' a property on an open node page, it would be good to use notifications service to display a warning, that someone else is looking at the same page, and vice versa trigger to the other person that someone else is actually editing the page they are looking at.

eg. the visual display of what you have is fine for noting that other people are looking at the same thing, that is cool, but it's when editing begins that the problems could occur, and so maybe triggering a more visual alert to the 'who saves last wins' situation that could be about to happen.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:48
    Lee Kelleher

Looks good Tim!

Would the in-page avatars have a hover state - so that we could identify them by name?

Typically on the projects I work on, content-editors just have default avatar, (they aren't even aware what gravatar is) ;-)

With the other ideas/suggestions, for reference - here's a forum thread exploring other SignalR-inspired ideas...

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/26117-Ideas-for-using-SignalR-or-websockets

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Thomas Morris 35 posts 133 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:50
    Thomas Morris

Great idea and something that would be mega useful for Umbraco I feel.

A note on whether there is an option to 'lock' the page for editing, it would be good if you can add the ability to 'unlock' pages if the user is an admin also.

Obviously as standard there are multiple editors for the same page, but not entirely sure if preferred and I think the lock option would be good (turn on and off via config), if possible some kind of inline editing aka Google Drive style would be awesome too. (realise this might not be easy)

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 11:51
    Anders Bjerner

Just a few ideas:

• If not a big performance cost, the avatar icon in the tree could bubble up the tree. Eg. if one or more editors are editing a specific node, the tiny avatar icon would be one color, but if one or more editors are editing other nodes under a specific node, the avatar icon could have a secondary color

• Not a lot of space to deal with for the icon, but possible an editor count (alternatively as a tooltip)

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 12:00
    Nik

It would be good to know which editor is currently making changes to the page you are viewing.

Also, and this might be beyond the scope of the plugin, but a really nice feature would be, if you are viewing the page being edited you should be able to see which property they are currently editing, or has been changed. Maybe they are highlighted with a border of some colour.

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 12:09
    Phill

I really like this functionality as well.

As per a couple responses above, I think a name needs to be included as I've never had users set their gravatar. Perhaps a line of text under the gravatars that says "^ user X is editing this page".

More importantly, if a user is editing a page I think the content needs to be placed into read only mode, maybe with an option/prompt that says "be notified when user X is done editing this page..."

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 01, 2015 @ 12:21

Thanks for all the ideas, keep em coming!

Oct 01, 2015 @ 13:17

So seems like a lock/unlock feature would make sense we'll make that a goal for v1

• Jannik Anker 48 posts 258 karma points c-trib
    Oct 02, 2015 @ 08:12
    Jannik Anker

Hi Tim - excellent concept!

My two cents on the lock/unlock option, though...

Sitecore has an automatic lock (on edit)/manual unlock option which seems to create more problems than solutions for regular users - and for admins (me, sigh) having to overrule locks all the time - and I'd hate to see the same thing happen in Umbraco :-s

I'm admin of an Umbraco site with ~75 editors and ~1500 pages (ugh, I knooow) and I've never heard of any "last save wins" scenarios, so I don't know how useful a lock/unlock feature would actually be?

Not if editors are actually notified that they are not the only one currently working on the page - then most editors would surely just back out, right?

Of course, this being a package and not a core thing, people that actually HAVE problems with "last save wins" would probably find this feature very useful. In that case, make sure that the unlock is automatic and swift :-P

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 02, 2015 @ 08:18
    David Brendel

I think the lock feature maybe should not be activated as default. So maybe it makes sense to only activate it if the admin wants to.

Besides that it must clearly be the cause that there are no deadlocks if maybe the user logs out or something like that. So there is no cause that "super" admins constantly have to clear locks in nodes where no one is actually editing

Oct 02, 2015 @ 08:18

thanks for the feedback Jannik, yeah also have a bit of doubts on the lock feature, making it as obvious as possible that other editors are on the same page and that a save have occurred might be the better solution here

• Jannik Anker 48 posts 258 karma points c-trib
    Oct 02, 2015 @ 09:06
    Jannik Anker

No problem :-) And yeah, as David mentions, if a locking feature is included in the package, it definitely shouldn't be actived by default.

Letting the user know if someone else has saved the page while they've been editing it would be awesome, though.

Oct 01, 2015 @ 13:54

For the brave souls that already want to give it a try

You can install it trough nuget https://www.nuget.org/packages/Nibble.Umbraco.LookWhosEditingToo/

Or download the Umbraco package here https://ci.appveyor.com/project/TimGeyssens/lookwhoseditingtoo/build/artifacts

Will only run on 7.3 and you'll need to update 1 app setting in the web.config after installation (so change the value of the existing owin:appStartup key)

<add key="owin:appStartup" value="LookWhosEditingToo.StartUp, LookWhosEditingToo" />

• Stephen Price 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 06, 2015 @ 01:24
    Stephen Price

Hey Tim, this looks great and would be very useful for an upcoming project.

Here are a few ideas that I thought might be useful:

• As mentioned by others, the ability to see the editors name.
    • If there are more than 3 editors on the same node, maybe have just +2 (this is similar to how Google Docs/Drive does it). Then if you click on one of the gravatars it could open a dialog with the full list.

Locking would be a great feature, but turned off by default. There are a number of things that could happen while editing that could cause the node to remain locked.

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 14:11
    Jamie Attwood

Tim, This is great - can you update this page to let us know status of this and where we can find it? Looking for this exact functionality, however, maybe a config entry that will lock the page out from edits when another user is in editing a content item. Thanks,

Jamie

• Thomas Morris 35 posts 133 karma points MVP c-trib
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 16:15
    Thomas Morris

Hi Jamie, not quite sure as to the status of the project but it can be found on github here: https://github.com/TimGeyssens/LookWhosEditingToo

Probably worth having a look at the test site and seeing if it meets your requirements.

• samay 22 posts 132 karma points
    Jul 10, 2017 @ 02:37
    samay

Hi Tim, this a great package, but failure in Umbraco version 7.6.3 assembly: 1.0.6361.21154

the error message like this after added app setting parameters to web.config file:

The following errors occurred while attempting to load the app. - For the app startup parameter value 'LookWhosEditingToo.StartUp, LookWhosEditingToo', the assembly 'LookWhosEditingToo' was not found. To disable OWIN startup discovery, add the appSetting owin:AutomaticAppStartup with a value of "false" in your web.config. To specify the OWIN startup Assembly, Class, or Method, add the appSetting owin:AppStartup with the fully qualified startup class or configuration method name in your web.config.

Could you help to fix this, many thanks ^_*

• Nicola Bigwood 28 posts 98 karma points
    Apr 18, 2018 @ 13:19
    Nicola Bigwood

Hi there,

Has this package been updated to work in Umbraco 7.7.9, by any chance?

Thanks very much!

Nicola.

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 18, 2018 @ 14:12
    Ravi Motha

Ithere has been a load of work and people talking about similar functionality here: here http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6317

Its slightly different but i think broadly covers the package.. as for its compatibiity that would be up to the package owner, and I'm pretty sure this is not core ??

happy to be told otherwise.. Ravi

• David Armitage 503 posts 2071 karma points
    Dec 18, 2020 @ 02:14
    David Armitage

Hi Tim,

Do you know if there are any packages like this for Umbraco 8. I need the exact same thing.

Editors are currently overwriting other editors content as the are both on the same page at the same time.

Dec 18, 2020 @ 04:09

nope, haven't seen anything...

Dec 18, 2020 @ 04:13

but shouldn't be to hard to update for v8... since most is js related... so that is pretty much the same...

https://github.com/TimGeyssens/LookWhosEditingToo

Dec 18, 2020 @ 04:18
    David Armitage

Thanks Tim - I will take a look

Dec 18, 2020 @ 04:27

also did a call on twitter... maybe someone has time to take ownership https://twitter.com/timgeyssens/status/1339787335991496705

Jan 14, 2021 @ 23:28
    David Armitage

Hi Tim,

I think I might be able to get you funding to update the package to Umbraco 8. I don't think the client is keen to pay the monthly funding but I know they would be happy to pay a one off fee.

Do you want to drop me an email and let me know how much you want to upgrade this to Umbraco 8 and I will pitch it to the client.

[email protected]

Dec 18, 2020 @ 12:29
  • Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 22, 2020 @ 19:53
    Amir Khan

Hey I would do 50 but it looks like that's set up as a recurring charge? Was that intentional?

• AvihayBit 149 posts 303 karma points
    Jan 25, 2021 @ 10:09
    AvihayBit

We will be happy to support this development too, It would be useful for some of our projects...

Jan 25, 2021 @ 10:15
    David Armitage

Hi Tim,

Yeah thats the same issue my client had. They couldn't get approval for a recurring payment.

If you came up with a one off payment I am pretty sure I could get the client to sign off on it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft