Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Gregory 82 posts 208 karma points
    Sep 14, 2015 @ 14:36
    David Gregory

Master Document Types Filtering

Hi all

If I have a master doc type with 10 properties. Then I create a child type but I only want 7 out of the 10 properties from the master.

How do I stop the 3 properties I don't want appearing in my child document type?

For example:

I'm thinkin from a users prospective. I may have a homepage that uses all 10 items. But then I may have a normal text page that only uses 7. How do i stop the user from seeing property editors for the 3 they don't need?

David

• Janae Cram 63 posts 439 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 14, 2015 @ 15:01
    Janae Cram

Hey David :)

What version are you running in? If it's in 7.2.0, I'd probably use DocType compositions.

There's no way that I know of to hide inherited properties, so I would set the 7 properties you want on all DocTypes on the master and then set any properties you might want to use on multiple DocTypes on a composition that you can then select specifically on the HomePage and any other DocType you want to include those properties on. That said, I would only do that if I know I'm going to want those properties on multiple DocTypes, otherwise I'd just add the extra 3 properties to the Home Page itself.

~Janae

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 15, 2015 @ 07:06
    Kevin Jump

Hi

It's also worth remembering that your document structure doesn't have to follow the structure of your website.

if you homepage has 10 things, and a normal page 7 then, you could look at this the other way around, your normal pages have 7 items and your homepage has three additional ones.

in this situation I would make the homepage doctype a child of the normal page one - so you're "normal" doctype contains the things all pages have and then you're "homepage doctype would add the things specific.

I usually try to consider the generic items all pages will have and then use that as the parent doctype. with the specific things being children of that.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft