Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Petr Svoboda 17 posts 68 karma points
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 11:09
    Petr Svoboda

Modify transformation from umbracoUrlName to "Link to document"

Hello,

when i write, for example, "*" to umbracoUrlName (or content name), umbraco put to "Link to document" text "star".

When I put '/', umbraco delete it in "Link to document".

Umbraco change upper case letters to lower case letters, delete "." and doing many other things :-)

Exist user friendly and official way how I change this transformation rules?

Petr

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 11:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Petr

I'm not quite sure what you mean?...But i'm guessing it's the rewrite rules in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file you're looking for. Search for "<char" without the quoutes in the file and you'll get to the section where special characters found in a url-name is being rewritten.

Hope my guess is right? :)

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 11:46
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Petr,

If you go to the config folder in your Umbraco installation /config/umbracoSettings.config -> requestHandler -> urlReplacing

Then you can write something like this

<urlReplacing removeDoubleDashes="false" toAscii="false">
            <char org=" ">-</char>
            <char org="&quot;"></char>
            <char org="'"></char>
    </urlReplacing>

You can find the documentation here.https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Config-files/umbracoSettings/

NOTE: in v7+ many of these settings are not explicitly contained in the configuration file that is shipped with Umbraco and most of these settings have default values assigned. These default values will be expressed below and you can insert these configuration items in the file to override the defaults.

Hope this can help you.

/Dennis

Apr 16, 2015 @ 12:42
    Petr Svoboda

Pity, that i cannot transform "." to ".". For example:

<urlReplacing removeDoubleDashes="false" toAscii="false">
    <char org=".">.</char>
    </urlReplacing>

Thanks Petr

Apr 16, 2015 @ 13:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Petr

But does it make sense to have a . in the url? What is the scenario for needing that? Can you explain the scenario and why you need it?

Don't know if this can be of any help? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/294495/semantic-urls-with-dots-in-net

/Jan

Apr 16, 2015 @ 13:22
    Petr Svoboda

Hello!

1. I want to write to url "aspx" for page, for example "page.aspx"

Full "Link to document" after it will be: "/business/finance/dane/danovy-kalendar-2015/page.aspx"

Now is (umbraco CMS delete "."): "/business/finance/dane/danovy-kalendar-2015/pageaspx"

I have old web pages and I don't want use another url. I don't want use redirect (it is not good for SEO)...

2. Umbraco change "/" to "". I therefore must use additional branch in the umbraco content tree, it is not ideal.

3. Maybe next some more characters used in the old web (for example upper case letters). How I address this url (when umbraco transform url to lower case letters)?

Thanks Petr

Apr 16, 2015 @ 13:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

Ok, but then you need to do something completely different, which fortunately is very easy :)

In your web.config you need to set this option to false - <add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" />

That should do the trick.

/Jan

Apr 16, 2015 @ 13:40
    Petr Svoboda

Hi Jan,

it's interesting. I test it, but I need some urls with ".aspx" and some without ".aspx".

It's structure of old web and I must create same structure of web url's in Umbraco CMS (because SEO) :-)...

Thanks Petr

Apr 16, 2015 @ 13:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Petr

Ok then you can perhaps benefit from using the 301 url tracker package instead? https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/301-url-tracker

Otherwise you should be able to setup some pages using the IIS redirect module in your web.config so when a .aspx page is hit it's being redirected to the new page without the extension. But I only recommend this approach if it's 15-20 url you need to map this way.

Otherwise you might be able to benefit from the url rewriting option using the /config/UrlRewriting.config file perhaps?

The <char> stuff mentioned earlier is not what you need to investigate since it only ensures that no bad chars are in the generated urls.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 16, 2015 @ 15:02
    Petr Svoboda

Hi Jan, thanks for answers.

Url tracker is good tool, but is unnecessarily difficult for end-users.

I am C# developer, i create software for web-rendering.

Web-content will be created by another users and for them this will be very difficult (using of url-tracker).

I maybe directly add ".aspx" extension in C# base on document type alias or any special boolean property. I will discuss it with colegue in work...

Petr

Apr 20, 2015 @ 11:21
    Petr Svoboda

Hello, i have solution, i use it:

http://24days.in/umbraco/2014/urlprovider-and-contentfinder

IUrlProvider...

Petr

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft