Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jamie 35 posts 87 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 15:47
    Jamie

Best practice - Content and media one-to-one use

I'm making a site for a small realestate agent. One of the features will be to right-click to create new properties in the Content area. For any given property I want them to be able to upload a collection of images that the site will present as a gallery.

In the past my method for this would be to get the client to create a new folder in the Media library and using Gecko uploader they could then upload multiple files at once to fill this folder - simple enough. After this they could go and create / modify the content node and using a media node picker select the folder they just created. Thus forming the relation between the images and the (using my example) new property node.

The problem I have with this is that this is a seperation of the media from the content node that it is linked to. Meaning the creation and deletion of each is a seperate step. In most cases where I have set up this type linkage there is a direct relationship between the media being stored and the content node. By this I mean it wold make more sense to my users if once creating the new content node they could go to a tab on that node and upload the image files. The benifit I see here is that images are more visually associated to the parent node, and that when the node is deleted the associated images are also deleted (given the recycle bin is emptied).

For the life of me I can't get Gecko to work this way (it seems to insist the children it creates belong the the media Doc Type 'Folder').

Am I wrong in thinking this way. Is thier a fundamental reason to seperate items this way (apart from reusability of the media items)? Or does what I'm after exist and I'm just not aware of it?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft