Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shwetha Shankar 21 posts 41 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 15:37
    Shwetha Shankar

uComponents.strings.GetFirstWords

Hi,

I am trying to output a news feed and I want to display only the first 10 words in the feed on the front page, after which I want the text to be appended with '...'. I have tried using uComponents.Strings.GetFirstWords() with no luck. (I have downloaded the uComponents package and installed it in Umbraco and made the config changes to ~/config/xsltExtensions.config file.

When I type in the following line in the xslt - umbraco.library.StripHTML(uComponents.Strings.GetFirstWords(String, Int32, String)), the Xslt does not save and I receive an error that there is an error on this line. What am I doing wrong?

I am grateful for any assistance with this.

Thanks,
    Shwetha

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2011 @ 18:36
    Morten Bock

Looks liek a syntax error. You should use a colon ":" before the method call. Lik this:

umbraco.library:StripHTML(uComponents.Strings:GetFirstWords(String, Int32, String))

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2011 @ 18:49
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Shwetha,

I'd swap the methods around... strip the HTML first, then get the first X words...

<xsl:value-of select="ucomponents.strings:GetFirstWords(umbraco.library:StripHTML($currentPage/bodyText), 10, '...')" />

This way it wont treat any HTML tags as "words".

Cheers, Lee.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 18:50
    Craig100

When I try that I get the following error when saving the XSLT:

Error occured

Error in XSLT at line 79, char 11

78:       <p>
    79: >>>   <xsl:value-of select="ucomponents.strings:GetFirstWords($description, 100)"/> <<<
    80:       </p>
    81:

I have ucomponents V1.0 installed in an Umbraco 4.5 site.

Any ideas why it won't save?

Cheers,

Craig

Jun 27, 2011 @ 18:54
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Craig,

Does it give you any more detailed error message?

It's most likely to do with the "$description" variable - but not sure without seeing more of your XSLT snippet.

Cheers, Lee.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 19:07
    Craig100

Hi,

All I'm doing is replacing this line which works fine:

<xsl:value-of select="umbraco.library:TruncateString($description, 100, '...')"/>

So I don't think it's the $description variable. 

What I put up ealier is the only error message I get.

The config file looks like this:- 

<XsltExtensions>

<ext assembly="umbraco.editorControls" type="umbraco.editorControls.tags.library" alias="tagsLib">

</ext>

<ext assembly="Umlaut.Umb.Blog" type="Umlaut.Umb.Blog.BlogLibrary" alias="BlogLibrary">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Cms" alias="ucomponents.cms">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Dates" alias="ucomponents.dates">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.IO" alias="ucomponents.io">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Media" alias="ucomponents.media">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Members" alias="ucomponents.members">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Nodes" alias="ucomponents.nodes">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Search" alias="ucomponents.search">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Strings" alias="ucomponents.strings">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Urls" alias="ucomponents.urls">

</ext>

<ext assembly="uComponents.Core" type="uComponents.Core.XsltExtensions.Xml" alias="ucomponents.xml">

</ext>

</XsltExtensions>

Even though I downloaded and installed the V2 ucomponents over the V1, it still reports V1 when I look at the installed packages.

Jun 27, 2011 @ 23:41
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Craig,

Ah ok, yeah it will be v2.x ... with it showing v1.0 is due to how Umbraco handles package upgrades in the back-office.

With the GetFirstWords call, could try to add the extra parameter for the 'appender', see if that works?

<xsl:value-of select="ucomponents.strings:GetFirstWords($description, 100, '...')"/>

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft