Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Poole 53 posts 165 karma points
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 14:53
    Mike Poole

Inherit values on child document type

I have a document type (no template) called Document Category. I use this to allow users to create categories,. It has one property Category Label (TextString)

I then have another document type (no template) called Document Item which is a child of Document Category.

When users create Document Item content from Document Library, I want the Category Label to be pre populated based on the parent document they are creating from

Is this possible? All I get is an empty textstrign box and I cannot remove the property in the DocumentType as it says

" Inherited from Document Category"

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 13, 2017 @ 14:56
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Mike

If you are using Umbraco version 7.7+ - then Content Templates what you need, read more how to use it - http://www.markwemekamp.com/blog/umbraco/how-to-use-content-templates-in-umbraco/

Thanks

Alex

Oct 13, 2017 @ 15:05
    Mike Poole

Thanks Alex, so nothing pre 7.7?

Oct 13, 2017 @ 15:10
    Alex Skrypnyk

Mike, what version are you using?

Oct 13, 2017 @ 15:12
    Mike Poole

We are on 7.5.9

There will be upgrades in the future but I need to come up with a solution based on this version (not a show-stopper but would look really nice if the content inherited)

OR, failing that, I could just remove the inherited field from the child document type and get the value I want when I walk the nodes from the parent

Oct 13, 2017 @ 15:07
    Alex Skrypnyk

no

You can create an event on node creation populate the field with custom code using contentService:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/events/contentservice-events

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft