Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nadine Fisch 159 posts 429 karma points
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 08:08
    Nadine Fisch

Hi,

I'm really, really new to Umbraco and razor, but I have to implement new features in Umbraco project.

So I need some advices, because I'm not fully familiar with the syntax and the possibilites. And I do not exactly know how to use the dynamicObjects-Syntax, and I don't even know the correct term for this :)

I want to select all children from all nodes from a certain hierarchy level.

I think about a structure like this:

var list = new List<dynamic>( node1.children.And.node2.children.where());

Does anyone understand my problem and know how I can achieve this? Or do you have some enlightening tutorials about using dynamicObjects

Thank you

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 10:22
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Nadine

Welcome to our forum!!!

First of all, do not use dynamics with Umbraco, use strongly typed objects if it's possible :)

Read this "Common Pitfalls Tutorial" - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/Common-Pitfalls/

Thanks,

Alex

Sep 14, 2017 @ 10:40
    Nadine Fisch

Thank you :-)

yeah the current project here is full of dynamics. So, I tried to do this in the same way, but thank you for your link and your feedback.

Can you say what happens in Umbraco 8, if IPublishedContent will be removed? I saw this hint in your document. Will I have to rewrite all the code with the current "dynamicObject" - solution ?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 11:16
    Dan Diplo

I believe Umbraco 8 will remove all dynamic, so it may well require rewriting all these (or, at very least, suffering warnings they are deprecated).

You can find more general docs on strongly-typed querying here: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Querying/IPublishedContent/

I may be misunderstanding, but if you want to select all nodes from a common ancestor then you can use the Descendants. So you could do:

var list = ancestor.Descendants();

You can just get descendants of a particular document type alias by adding the alias as a parameter:

var list = ancestor.Descendants("newsItem");

Sep 14, 2017 @ 12:08
    Nadine Fisch

Thank you this solution works for me :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft