Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Lacy 28 posts 101 karma points
    Jun 12, 2017 @ 21:43
    Brian Lacy

Implementing a custom "module" with managed content?

We've got a couple of unique (or semi-unique) modules to place on our new website, and I'm trying to decide on how to implement it within our Umbraco site. The front-end coding is done, we just need to figure out the best way to (a) insert each of them into the middle of a grid-based content page, and (b) manage the content for each?

The first module is totally unique on our site -- that is, it will only live on a single page within the site and will (probably) never be re-used. Structurally its very similar to the "Process circle" animation/module on the following page: http://waaark.com/vision/

The second module is a sort of gallery/video player. It will probably be re-used on up to 2-3 pages of our site (no more than that) -- and each instance of it needs to have its own unique "playlist" of videos (no more than approx. 3-5 vids at one time, however).

Now, my thinking so far has been to implement both of these as Umbraco Macros, and use a macro parameter -- a Content Picker -- to select & store a content node ID, which represents a "parent" node in the tree containing the specific child items. But I'm wondering if there's a more elegant approach?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jun 13, 2017 @ 05:50
    Søren Kottal

Hi Brian

For the first module, I would create a macro and insert in the grid. When you only need to use it once, there is no need to clutter up the "add element" popup.

The gallery I would create as a grid editor (look up Doc Type Grid Editor or LeBlender for easier implementation). This would be an element that is used in more places. For a better editing experience, I think a tailored grid editor works the best. Besides, you can do more in regard to property editors with a grid editor than with a macro because of the way macros handle parameters.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft