Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rune Hem Strand 147 posts 911 karma points hq c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 19:45
    Rune Hem Strand

Community page on our.umbraco.org

Hey all you wonderful Umbracians! A great question was asked in this tweet by Anders Bjerner. How do we make all the Umbraco related content produced by both HQ and the community easily discoverable?

We actually had a community page/section in the plans for the new Our.umbraco.org (relaunched at CG15) but the idea never got fleshed out enough to start implementation.

What would you like to see on a page like this and in what format?

Hope you'll help shape this into something useful, so please comment and discuss!

• Charles Roper 48 posts 200 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 20:37
    Charles Roper

I'd love to see a blogroll. I find new blogs from Umbracians every now and again, but it would be great to have a list to go to, and authors could add to.

It would also be great to have a "planet" style site that aggregates posts and other media (eg. video) that could also pull in tags/categories and allow for tags to be added by the community. It would be great to be able to list (and perhaps subscribe to) tag sets. Kind of like you used to be able to do on Delicious (anyone remember that?).

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 21:25
    Nicholas Westby

The site actually used to have a "blogroll" before the reskin of our.umbraco.org. That was pretty nifty, but I noticed it often broke and would only show a subset of the blogs. It also didn't seem to show more than a few blogs (i.e., after that, they would vanish into the ether).

I agree that it would be nice to have community content. I made this video a while back and would like to make that accessible from our.umbraco.org, for example.

Would also be nice to see a curated set of this community content, so that the most useful could be made available in a logical way that is more accessible to new users (at least, more accessible than "here is every piece of community content ever made in alphabetic order").

This might be done by the core team. Another option would be to have a community-driven system to rate the content (however, that comes with all sorts of possibility for abuse, and is less structured). Perhaps both systems could be combined (i.e., have the community inform the core team of what they think is useful, then the core team can curate the content accordingly).

• Tom Pipe 14 posts 100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:27
    Tom Pipe

Not sure if its been sorted since the reskin, but finding content in Google is sometimes pretty hard.

I know I've read a post/guide, but trying to search for it takes effort and is often fruitless.

So perhaps a look at SEO?

• Matthieu Nelmes 102 posts 385 karma points
    Nov 03, 2015 @ 10:15
    Matthieu Nelmes

Keen on the aggregated feed, I'm currently working on a side project with Instagram + SignalR to show a live feed but this could always be expanded to include twitter and possibly blog posts?

http://www.projectmayhem.co.uk/hashtag-umbraco

• Rune Hem Strand 147 posts 911 karma points hq c-trib
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 09:57
    Rune Hem Strand

Some good ideas here. A blogroll sounds like the way to go, I personally think adding twitter, instagram and so forth will add a lot of clutter.

Any suggestions for how it should be presented and what blogs should be added?

While I don't think social should be in the feed it would be good to point to the different communication/discussion channels in the Umbraco community (Twitter, Slack, Vimeo).

• Matthieu Nelmes 102 posts 385 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 10:57
    Matthieu Nelmes

Yeah I don't think the social stuff (twitter/instagram) requires a full page, but a nice ticker style section maybe? The posts would be more engaging.

• Charles Roper 48 posts 200 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 15:55
    Charles Roper

For the social stuff, it can work if you only add stuff that hits a certain "likes" threshold. Good example of that idea is Hacker News 500 (https://twitter.com/newsyc500) which only tweets stories that reach 500 points.

Actually, how about a Hacker News style thing where people can post links to stuff they find (and notify if it's duplicate) and people can vote and perhaps discuss? Would be useful to have a little API so that bloggers could auto-add their posts based on their RSS feed and perhaps a tag.

For the blogroll I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to add their blog. If spam or inappropriate blogs get added, then look as ways to mitigate (i.e., moderation, community vote, etc)?

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 18:19
    Anders Bjerner

A little summary of the ideas that I had when I posted the tweet:

Videos

The Umbraco HQ has a growing list of content on Vimeo including videos from past Codegarden festivals. There is a lot of great stuff here that aren't "advertised" anywhere on Our, so a video section could make sense - possibly like on the mockup below.

Proposed video section

Vimeo has a great API, so information about the videos can be extracted, and grouped based on tagging.

If the information about the Vimeo videos are cached/saved somewhere on the Our server, they could perhaps also be included in the global search.

While it's not for me to decide, my thoughts were that this section would only include videos by the Umbraco HQ.

Community

A community section could then show content made by ... the community, and could have a number of sub sections.

Proposed community section

Overview could highlight some of the major projects like uHangout, Skrift and 24days.in/umbraco/.

Festivals could show upcoming (or even past) festivals - both Codegarden by the HQ and festivals by the community around world.

In a similar way Meetups could show the local meetups around the world - possible with integration from meetup.com.

Blogs could be either a list of blogs by members of the community or a list of the individual blog posts from community blogs. As far as I remember, the old Our site listed blog posts from a number of RSS feeds added by the HQ/Sebastiaan (right?). If this was revived, it would be a good way to stay up-to-date of new stuff.

It seems that most videos by the community are uploaded to YouTube rather than Vimeo. A Video section could therefore show user videos from YouTube (and possible Vimeo or other services). I'm not sure how to control which videos are showed.

When looking at the technical parts, both the YouTube and Vimeo APIs support getting a list of videos liked a user. So if the list of videos is controlled by the HQ, they could simply like a video on either YouTube or Vimeo, and the video would shop up here on Our. But this approach would still require some action by the HQ.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft