Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 08:28
    Ryios

Any plans for .Net Core 5 and Cross Platform Capabilties?

With the announcement of .Net Core 5 running on linux, mac, and windows, are there any plans for future umbraco versions to build on top of ASP.Net VNext. Thus allowing Umbraco to run on Linux distros and Mac as well as Windows?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 11:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

During CodeGarden 14 it was announced that Umbraco will be based on ASP.NET VNext...but when it's coming I'm not sure about yet but it's part of the future plans.

You can learn a bit more about what was said during the keynote etc. here http://codeclimber.net.nz/archive/2014/06/20/My-review-of-Umbraco-Codegarden-2014ndash-One-word-amazing.aspx

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 14:30
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ryan,

If you are interested in seen the keynote from the CodeGarden 14, you have the possibility do it here: http://stream.umbraco.org/video/9918428/umbraco-codegarden-14-keynote Niels talks about ASP.NET vNext around the 72 min, into the keynote.

You can also see the other sessions from the CodeCarden 14 here.http://stream.umbraco.org/channel/9915696/codegarden-2014

/Dennis

• Søren Reinke 158 posts 206 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2016 @ 08:27
    Søren Reinke

Any new status about this?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2016 @ 09:07
    Dan Lister

Checkout the Google Group discussion here. It should give you some more information.

Thanks, Dan.

• Søren Reinke 158 posts 206 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2016 @ 09:40
    Søren Reinke

Thanks a lot Dan

• coryn 24 posts 62 karma points
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 07:34
    coryn

I really hope to see this happening soon, I've been using Dotnet Core a lot since its 1.0 Release and it really is promising! The cross-platform flexibility it would bring to Umbraco alone is worth this being a high priority port in my humble opinion ;)

Either way, keep up the great work!

• Asbjørn 82 posts 195 karma points c-trib
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 07:42
    Asbjørn

The current plan, I believe, is for Umbraco 9 (whenever that is) to be based on .NET Core. First, though, v8 has to be finished. v8 removes a lot of legacy code that is currently blocking any migration to .NET Core.

• coryn 24 posts 62 karma points
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 07:45
    coryn

Yea that kinda sounds like its far off still? As in, "years from now" which is a bit of a shame :)

• Lars Gyrup Brink Nielsen 6 posts 76 karma points
    Aug 26, 2016 @ 18:30
    Lars Gyrup Brink Nielsen

I've been working with ASP.NET Core 1.0 for a few months, and these are some of the handy features, I found:

These would be great for plugin and website development in Umbraco.

• Aran Mulholland 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 18, 2016 @ 11:43
    Aran Mulholland

I don't mind if Umbraco doesn't target the .net core but what I would like is if it supports the new project format. The format of the new project is superior. It allows much better client side package management and whichever css pre-processor you would like to use. I would like to use this with Umbraco. I think a good first step would be to support the new project type and then move to .net core.

At the moment .net core is still hard to use. It still doesn't support everything that is required. I think it makes sense that it is not supported at the moment because even though we have a release version we still do not have the support around it to maintain a full web site.

• Lewis Cowles 3 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 12:46
    Lewis Cowles

2017 bump here. I'd love to know as a long-time Linux user if and when this is possible. Right now I do use Windows locally (although it's mostly for playing games, and keeping up-to-date with a few past projects).

Additionally to dot net core, if it can be done, I'd be happy to create a docker-image (potentially docker-compose) or vagrant box.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 12:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

2017 update: we have a lot of rewriting to do. Not for a while. We're releasing v8 first to remove all legacy code. Then v9 could possibly be on ASP.NET core. So it's not around the corner.

There's a docker image out there. It's huge.. I don't really see the point. :-)

• Lewis Cowles 3 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 14:03
    Lewis Cowles

;-) Thank you.

Is it possible to have totally scripted (unattended) deploys and backup / recovery of umbraco in a windows environment? (I'd appreciate any pointers to documentation or products you could provide)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 01, 2017 @ 14:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Completely different issue. :-)

Courier does it (not scripted) and Umbraco Cloud handles that for you automatically (not scripted).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft