Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    May 16, 2014 @ 16:31
    Ryios

PostgreSQL Support

It would be awesome if PostgreSQL support was added. I've gone through the source code and I realized that the code has a Provider Type in the code for PostgreSQL, but it has a CheckDBConnection function that basically says anything besides Sql Server, Compact, MySql etc is Unsupported, even though the Enum value for PostgreSQL (populated from the Npgsql DB Factory) is in the code.

I don't think it would be difficult to Add the Npgsql package for the postgresSql provider as a dependency to the project then modify the factories to support using Npgsql,

However, myself and the company I work for don't really have the resources to be managing are own copy of the source code.

But it would be a nice feature to support as all of our in house products and other sites etc all run in PostgreSQL.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 16, 2014 @ 22:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

Perhaps the PostgreSQL stuff in the source code is a leftover that was never really finished when the support for other databases than MSSQL was introduced around 5-6 years ago or something like that.

I don't think that the HQ will spend time on adding the support but if you and your company would like to contribute to the core and maintain it then they would perhaps be happy to add it to the core.

You can always try to create a feature request for this on the issue tracker - But if you don't have the resources to contribute I don't think it will be on the top of the list or even considered.

Also be aware that many of the nice packages both free and commercial tend to only support MSSQL and in same cases CE SQL.

I don't mean to be a party pooper about it but I just know that the larger the codebase is and there more stuff that needs to be supported the harder it is to maintain the project and move it forward etc.

Cheers, Jan

May 22, 2014 @ 20:16
    Ryios

Thanks for the info,

I hadn't considered other packages relying on MSSql, that could throw a wrench in the works. We ended up going with MySql for now (but it's never to late to change). MySql Workbench has really improved over the years and I'm liking it. Also for a DataLayer I managed to get PetaPoco working with MySql and it's T4 Templates all work as well.

Our end goal though is to make everything we build Sql Agnostic, as we want to package it and offer components for sale. And we are trying to stay as free as possible. Right now all we need is a Windows Server License and we are up and running.

Jan 12, 2015 @ 06:14
    Ryios

Just thought I would update this as we've switched umbraco over to MS SQL as we decided to build our data layer in MS SQL.

When I got to digging around and realized there is a Database Project type for MS SQL in visual studio now it was pretty much a no brainer to go with MS SQL, and so far everything is awesome (literally).

We can deploy our database's with one click. All of our tables, triggers, views, stored procedures, etc are in source control. And we are using peta poco to generate POCO's with it's T4 Template and it's code layer and it's crazy fast.

Feb 10, 2015 @ 18:03
    Ryios

This forum is so dead, I realized my last post was still on the front page, so I'll comment here as well..

Basically PetaPoco supports PostgreSQL now with a standard dbFactory provider (ng-sql*). So I was wondering if PostgreSQL in Umbraco would likely ever be reconsidered.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 18:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

Still on the front page? That sounds weird?...Unfortunately there are issues with spammers on the forums and if an administrator takes action and removes the spam then the post is listed on the frontpage - I guess it's because the edited date in the DB is updated - So actually it's a bug more than a sign of the forum being dead.

As mentioned elsewhere there will be an major update of our in the coming weeks, which will eliminate many of the weird issues and the category structure etc. - It will make it into 2015 finally :)

Thanks for sharing the gained knowledge about PostgreSQL btw.

/Jan

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Aug 13, 2015 @ 14:23
    Tony Groome

Hi Guys

Does that mean we can use postgres, albeit indirectly? I'm just starting to see about changing our CE database to postgres, I assumed it would be straight forward.

Thanks. Tony

Aug 18, 2015 @ 15:15
    Ryios

Tony,

Unless they have removed the code that blocks it, you cannot use PostgreSQL with Umbraco.

The last I tried, I noticed code in the data layer that basically says "If PostGreSql, throw exception".

PetaPoco did not support postgresql until within the last year, as such Umbraco did not support PostgreSQL and unless they've updated their peta poco version and remove the exception code, Umbraco still does not support PostgreSQL.

We await anxiously for PostgreSQL support because PostgreSQL is the only free RDBMS (truly free), meaning we can redistribute it without paying licensing fees.

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 15:26
    Tony Groome

Hi Ryios

Thanks for that. We decided to use SQL Server Express, it's not a critical application, CE would probably do, but the move was easy enough.

Tony

Aug 18, 2015 @ 16:16
    Ryios

SQL Server Express is decent, just keep in mind that it has a 4GB to 10GB cap on the database file size depending on which version you use.

So if your database hits the cap, Umbraco will start failing.

Express 2008 R2 through 2014 are 10GB, any version before that is 4GB.

• Wayne Massey 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 25, 2015 @ 18:37
    Wayne Massey

I have an experimental fork running on Postgres 9.4 and npgsql 2.2.7 available at https://github.com/corsjune/Umbraco-CMS

Things to note, tablenames are forced to lowercase as postgres is weird with case sensitivity.

more details coming...

• bbqchickenrobot 14 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 31, 2016 @ 02:13
    bbqchickenrobot

Any more details on this? Postgres support = Awesome sauce! Will check out the github repo as well.

• Keith Prinkey 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 03, 2022 @ 17:26
    Keith Prinkey

Was this ever solved or a resolution of some sort? Is Postgresql supported yet?

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Mar 04, 2022 @ 11:23
    Simon Justesen

Afraid not, from past experience I think its not a priority to support other databases than Microsoft SQL - although NPoco (DAL library) is perfectly capable of handling both MySQL and Postgresql.

That said, Microsoft SQL Server is available for Linux and Microsoft provides a Docker image on their website

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft