Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• M N 125 posts 212 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 16:36
    M N

Backoffice White Screen, Jquery undefined/unable to load.

Hi all,

I have found several posts about this, but no solutions thus far..

I installed Umbraco 7.2.8 via NuGet, and while developing and doing usual Umbraco activities, eventually (and inevitably) I am unable to access the Back Office. It results in a white screen.

Here is a firebug screenshot of what happens on http://local/umbraco - http://grab.by/JQaA

This is happening on Production (IIS 7.5) as well as local host.. Is there a definitive reason why jquery is undefined? It seems trivial, but i've burned serious time trouble shooting it.. Or rather any steps I should take to trouble shoot?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is a duplicate elsewhere!

Cheers, -Marc

• mscommunities 40 posts 95 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 18:23
    mscommunities

I too get this error on v7.2.8. Even refreshing the page doesn't seem to work. I usually have to close my browser, re-open it and then navigate to the backoffice and things work again. Very annoying and I am sure our content authors who have no debugging skills will be stuck scratching their heads.

Sep 08, 2015 @ 17:08
    M N

Thanks ms,

It does seem to be somewhat elusive with no predictable way to reproduce. Developer's worst nightmare. One of my other front-end guys noticed this as well. The install works fine and I haven't noticed any erroneous behavior in any of the various back-office areas.

MS, does this seem isolated on Firefox? Do you use Firebug? For me it seems to only happen on Firefox, and I have since resorted to Restarting with addons disabled, then restart with addons enabled and it works. Simply restarting the browser doesn't seem to work on my end.

Seems like an odd caching issue, but I can't say for sure.. unfortunately.

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 19:00
    Jason

Well, to sort of state the obvious, Jquery is not loading and that is why you are getting the Jquery undefined. If you look at the network calls are you seeing any 404 or 500 errors? I am assuming that this did work and then stopped, correct? What was the last thing you were working on before it stopped working?

Aug 24, 2015 @ 19:10
    M N

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes indeed, jquery is not being loaded. And you are 100% correct it works for a short time, but over the course of general development it eventually stops working. I've seen it happen after Save/publish, opening a new tab to modify settings. I've even seen instances where it works fine in one tab, but another tab experiences jquery/angular loading issues. Never seen anything like it.

The problem seems to be very intermittent and sporadic and I wish I could identify a pattern as you requested. I have used DNS flusher and various cache flushing utilities, as well as the obvious Shift Refresh to no avail.

I end up power cycling my machine to resolve the issue.

I understand this is not much to go on - if you have any debugging suggestions for the next time this happens I'd be more than interested in hearing them!

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 12:11
    Jason

M N,

Sorry, I have never experienced the behavior you are describing. Without knowing what your code all looks like I am sort of out of ideas other than it is some strange cache issue, rebooting fixing the issue is sort of telling but not sure exactly. Are you doing a clean and/or publish and then seeing the issue? I have had the white back office page before but it was usually caused by missing files in the Umbraco directory after a bad upgrade or publish, but that is not what you are tell me here.

This is a long shot but could you be having network issue getting Nuget stuff maybe?

Sep 08, 2015 @ 17:12
    M N

No problem Jason, completely understand.

I've experienced the issue on both Nu-Get installs as well as standard Unzip package -> Install .

It seems related to Firefox and possibly Firebug.. As MS mentioned, it is more of a nuisance than anything.. The work-around he posted is more or less what I end up doing.. Or I use back-office in chrome and debug front-end issues on firefox.

This is a fairly vague issue at the moment, so if you need to close it - understood. If I find a reproduction procedure I can certainly repost.

Thanks again! -Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft