Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Wood 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 25, 2014 @ 18:08
    Matthew Wood

Weird behavior trying to save stylesheets

Using latest version of Umbraco 7.1.3.

Problem: Getting a permissions error when trying to save a CSS file that is abnormally large.

Test cases:

1: I can create and save a blank css file.

2: If I copy the twitter bootstrap 2.3.2 contents into the 'Edit Stylesheet' area and click save I get a permissions error. (User is administrator account)

3: If I copy over the style sheet in small chunks, saving works fine until > line 4800. After this point, adding some chunks of CSS will work, while others will cause a permission error.

Analysis: It seems to not like specific chunks of CSS after ~4800 lines with no dicernable pattern. It doesnt seem likely to be a permissions error - seems like a memory problem.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 25, 2014 @ 20:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew and welcome to our :)

Bugs, feature requests etc. should be reported on the issue tracker at http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

May I ask why you're editing the stylesheet within the Umbraco editor rather than using a proper editor like sublime text for instance? :)

Cheers, Jan

• Matthew Wood 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 25, 2014 @ 21:30
    Matthew Wood

I work in Visual Studio 2013 Professional. I am new to Umbraco but have a client that wishes to use this platform.

When i dump CSS files in the Css folder they do not populate in the Umbraco editor (same with js files). I dont understand quite how everything links up so I was working within the editor to make sure all files are present when viewing the umbraco dashboard. Maybe you could shed some light for me on how (or where) to build in Visual studio while making sure Umbraco is able to build a proper list/tree on the dashboard, as the documentation seems very limited.

• Darren R 10 posts 73 karma points
    May 29, 2014 @ 20:40
    Darren R

I am receiving the same problems when I try to copy the Bootstrap 3.11 boostrap.css text into Umbraco.  I have found that I can do this by splitting the list at that line 4000 and creating a bootstrap2.css file and call them both, but this seems inefficient.  Also, if I use the minified version, it cuts it off at so many characters and does not word wrap

Jun 03, 2014 @ 17:25
    Darren R

One thing that I have found out is that this is occuring with and CSS file over 100kb. Is there a setting that can be changed?

Jun 03, 2014 @ 19:58
    Darren R

Solution!

Go into your Web.config file in the root of your site and replace the closing </configuration> tag with the below code:

<system.web.extensions>

<scripting>

<webServices>

<jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="50000000"/>

</webServices>

</scripting>

</system.web.extensions>
    </configuration>
  • puneet 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 12:06
    puneet

Adding above script didn't fix it.  So I have split the bootstrap file into two and it worked.

• Manjunatha Govindappa 20 posts 119 karma points
    Nov 10, 2015 @ 06:36
    Manjunatha Govindappa

Before splitting Check servers users group have the full access to css folder, In our case issue is resolved after giving full access to users.

To check for right permission,

right click CSS folder and select properties select security tab and select users in users or user name window check for permissions for users window

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft