Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 21, 2013 @ 18:06
    Bill

cannot access umbraco-plugins.list

I'm preiodically seeing errors in the application log related to umbraco-plugins.list and umbraco-plugins.hash.  This typically takes the site down for a couple of minutes.

My setup is running Umbraco 4.11.1 with 2 load balanced servers using a file share.  After reading the latest version of the "Installing Umbraco for load balanced environments" documentation, I reconfigured the App_Data/Temp folder as a virtual directory that is unique for each server but the errors persist.

Can anyone provide insight on what might cause this or what causes the umbraco-plugins.list file to be updated?

Also, when I created the unique temp folders for each server, I put them on the file server.  Would they be better off moved to local storage?

Application Exception:

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 3/21/2013 8:25:52 AM
    Event time (UTC): 3/21/2013 12:25:52 PM
    Event ID: 5f23f7091a654670a322016d5c0b96c1
    Event sequence: 3
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Exception information:
        Exception type: HttpException
        Exception message: The process cannot access the file '\\server\sharename\wwwroot\App_Data\TEMP-server-1\PluginCache\umbraco-plugins.list' because it is being used by another process.
       at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext)

• John Semmel 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 19:26
    John Semmel

I am having the same problem with version 6.1.1. Any solutions?

• John Semmel 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 29, 2016 @ 15:33
    John Semmel

I discovered what looks like the culprit in my case, at least. When we first installed our Umbraco website, we noticed we were having memory leaks that eventually crippled the site. What we did was to set up automatic app pool recycles when private memory usage reached a certain threshold. This worked at the time. However, over the months since, the website appears to have grown a larger memory footprint. It got to the point where it was recycling down to an amount of memory that was already close to its limit. At worst, it was recycling every couple of minutes.

When an IIS Worker Process recycles, by default, a new process is launched while the old one is cycled down. This seems to be the cause of the contention: two IIS Worker Processes trying to open the same file to write to it. The fix for this may be to disable overlapped recycling in IIS Manager. This only seemed to make the problem worse while we were struggling with frequent recycles. But now that that problem is resolved, this is the next thing I'm going to look at.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft