Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jed 55 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 17:48
    Jed

This forum is full of bugs

This Forum has many bugs - worrying as it's based on Umbraco, (though not entirely unexpected):

About half the time posts get 'lost' - nothing is posted and I'm returned to the new post page on submit.

The ordered/unordered lists don't work (which is why this list isn't properly displayed)

Sometimes I'm just presented with a blank page and XSLT parser error

You can't search for the hash sign - so no search for c# is possible - returns a 'something went wrong' message

In IE9 the RTE text is tiny, almost unreadable.

in IE9 clicking on the RTE with a mouse doesn't work. You can't select text or position the cursor or get focus without tabbing all the way from the title.

There are similar problems Umbraco itself, often RTE related - are there any plans to replace the TinyMCE as it clearly isn't working well, hasn't been for a long time, and has poor reliability all-round compared to other CMSs' RTEs?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 21:25
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Jed,

I do know what you mean about various issues with the forum.  These should not be representative of the core Umbraco code, the forum/deli/wiki are an implementation on top of Umbraco not what it provides out of the box.

Going through your points, I'd like to offer my view...

About half the time posts get 'lost' - nothing is posted and I'm returned to the new post page on submit.

This used to happen a LOT, but I personally haven't experienced this in a long time. The previous problem was due to a timeout of some kind.  Next time this happens could you let us know any other details - e.g. how long you had the page open before submitting? any other tabs open on the forum? (I don't know - just thinking of anything that could help the forum developers to reproduce the issue).

The ordered/unordered lists don't work (which is why this list isn't properly displayed)

I believe this is due to the CSS rules for lists.  The other one I noticed is italic displaying as bold.

Sometimes I'm just presented with a blank page and XSLT parser error

In the majority of cases the forum developers are aware of these XSLT errors.  Best thing to do is to check if the error is reproducible, if so, then post it in this forum section - the forum developers can investigate further.

You can't search for the hash sign - so no search for c# is possible - returns a 'something went wrong' message

When I can't find what I'm looking for with the forum search, I use Google (with "site:" prefix on queries): e.g. "site:our.umbraco.org c#".

In IE9 the RTE text is tiny, almost unreadable. in IE9 clicking on the RTE with a mouse doesn't work. You can't select text or position the cursor or get focus without tabbing all the way from the title.

I generally don't use IE for browsing/surfing ... but thought I should give it a go (since you mention it) ... so this reply is from IE9 - I can use the RTE as I'd expect it to work.

Other RTEs?

For the back-office, you could try the Markdown Editor package? (I am biased) ;-)

Thanks, Lee.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 22:08
    Chriztian Steinmeier

@Lee + (HQ): I'd love to chip in on the XSLT issues too, if it's of any relevance (that is, if it's not all being "razored" as we speak...). I'd love to have a go at fixing the CSS issues as well.

Most annoying issue though, is that it's nigh-on impossible to post a quick answer from an iPad/iPhone (don't know about Win7Phone, Android etc).

/Chriztian

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 22:15
    Jeroen Breuer

Also I think it's still imposible to edit the first post of a topic. Would like to see that fixed :).

Jeroen

• Jed 55 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 14:14
    Jed

Ah you guys are great. Nice to see so many contributors trying hard to resolve these issues and being so understanding as I blow off steam. That the forum is buggy can be hard to deal with when you've been pulling hair out with a problem. So thanks. I'm sure these issues will all be resolved. And I should add that as far as .NET CMSs go Umbraco is fantastic.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft