Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:33
    Jeroen Breuer

Empty translate xml

Hello,

I'm using the translate section of Umbraco and I have a node which needs to be translated. Here is a screenshot:

As you can see there is content which needs to translated, but when I download the xml file I get this:

<tasks>
    <task Id="202" Date="2011-11-15T11:13:36" NodeId="2888" TotalWords="73">
    <Comment>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </Comment>
    <NewsItem id="2888" parentID="2873" level="4" writerID="0" creatorID="0" nodeType="1117" template="1105" sortOrder="15" createDate="2011-11-15T10:49:58"updateDate="2011-11-15T10:48:55" nodeName="Animatiefilm Unidek Aero" urlName="animatiefilm-unidek-aero" writerName="Administrator"creatorName="Administrator" path="-1,1060,2420,2873,2888" isDoc="">
    <newsItemDate/>
    <youTubeVideo>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </youTubeVideo>
    <contentHeading/>
    <contentBody>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </contentBody>
    <menuTitle/>
    <menuIntro>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </menuIntro>
    <menuImage>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </menuImage>
    <title/>
    <metaDescription/>
    <metaKeywords>
    <![CDATA[ ]]>
    </metaKeywords>
    <umbracoUrlAlias/>
    <umbracoUrlName/>
    <umbracoRedirect/>
    <umbracoNaviHide/>
    <hideInMenu/>
    </NewsItem>
    </task>
    </tasks>

There is no content in the xml file. Isn't it supposed to have the content so it can be translated?

Jeroen

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Nov 15, 2011 @ 15:49
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jeroen,

I just created a translate task (send to translation) and then logged in with a translator account and downloaded the xml , the xml looks fine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<tasks>-<task TotalWords="197" NodeId="1053" Date="2011-11-15T15:45:43" Id="1">-<Comment>

<![CDATA[translate to Dutch]]>

</Comment><PreviewUrl>http://test.webmove.be~/umbraco/translation/preview.aspx?id=1</PreviewUrl>-<umbTextpage isDoc="" path="-1,1050,1053" creatorName="admin" writerName="admin" urlName="getting-started" nodeName="Getting started" updateDate="2011-11-06T11:43:07" createDate="2008-06-01T23:11:56" sortOrder="3" template="1046" nodeType="1048" creatorID="0" writerID="0" level="2" parentID="1050" id="1053">-<bodyText>

<![CDATA[ <p>You've installed Umbraco and the basic Simple website.</p> <p>Edit the text on the homepage and create a site structure by adding new texpages to your site. This is all done in the <strong>Content</strong> section.</p> <p>If you find the editing options provided by the Simple site too limited for you needs, simply add more properties to the page by going to the <strong>Settings</strong> section, expanding the <strong>Document Types</strong> item and adding new properties on the <strong>Generic Properties</strong> tab. You can find more information about <a href="http://umbraco.org/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/sitebuilder-introduction/document-types" title="About Umbraco Document Types">document types and properties</a> at the <a href="http://umbraco.org" title="The Umbraco Website">Umbraco website</a>.</p> <p>You'll probably want to personalize your site by changing the current design. This is also done in the <strong>Settings</strong> section, either by editing the CSS styles and HTML templates or by selecting and applying a Skin. Umbraco uses master templates, so the main, common markup is placed in the <strong>Starterkit Master</strong> template, while the Homeage and Textpage have separate templates for their unique layouts. You can find more information about <a href="http://umbraco.org/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/sitebuilder-introduction/templates" title="Umbraco Templates and Stylesheets">templates and css</a> in umbraco at the umbraco website.</p> <p>Once you're happy with your site's design, you might want to add more functionality, such as automated navigation. This is done by <a href="http://umbraco.org/help-and-support/video-tutorials/getting-started" title="Umbraco Modules">installing Umbraco modules</a>.</p> ]]>

</bodyText><umbracoNaviHide>0</umbracoNaviHide></umbTextpage></task></tasks>

Maybe there is a problem with the specif type of content on the page you want to translate.

greetings,

Anthony

Nov 15, 2011 @ 17:04
    Jeroen Breuer

Hmm strange. Only theory I have is that it doesn't work if one of the datatypes stores it's data in the xml format. Since this file is already xml it might conflict? Otherwise I don't know why it goes wrong...

Jeroen

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:08
    Phil Dye

Jeroen,

Did you get any resolution to this? I'm seeing a possibly related problem - downloading individual xml task files seems OK, but the "download all translation tasks as xml" link just gives me an empty XML file;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <tasks TotalWords="0" />

Phil

Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:25
    Jeroen Breuer

No I didn't find a solution for this and I decided not to use the translate xml. If downloading them individual works you should just use that I think.

Jeroen

Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:30
    Phil Dye

Jeroen,

Unfortunately, it looks like downloading individual XML files isn't working for me either - I'm getting no-content versions like you did on all but one file - oddly, the one that corresponds to the root node...

According to the 4.7.1 source, this area of code was changed ages ago, around 4.5.1.  There's obviously something specific to the content that's causing this to fail/succeed.. I'll open a Codeplex item, and keep digging...

Phil

Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:35
    Jeroen Breuer

Good idea to create a codeplex issue. So far the only thing I can think of is that it might go wrong if properties store data as xml (like DAMP does). Not sure about this. Didn't have more time to investigate. If you want to experiment more I think it's best to start with a clean website and test the xml of that. Than slowly add more content and more properties and maybe than you'll know at what point it might go wrong.

Jeroen

Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:40
    Phil Dye

CodePlex work item 30631 created

Dec 06, 2011 @ 14:09
    Phil Dye

For the record, content nodes need to be saved (to create a valid preview) before sending to translation.

'Download all tasks as xml' still doesn't work, but I'm managing to handle individual files for now.

Phil

• Anders Aleborg 35 posts 67 karma points
    Jan 12, 2012 @ 09:30
    Anders Aleborg

Had the same issue with 'Download all tasks as xml' but found the solution.

When you create the task you specify a translator for the task, login as that user and you'll be able to download all in one xml.
    Had to take a look in the source files and noiced that the function only creates a full xml of all tasks for the assigned translator.

• Guru Prasad 11 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 07, 2016 @ 10:27
    Guru Prasad

Hi Anders,

Even we are facing with downloading all xml as Empty data. Can you please brief us how its solved.

One issue for us is when the translation task assigned to a translator, the translator seeing it under "Tasks Created by you" instead of "Tasks assigned to you". Even though admin created and assigned to translator.

Appreciate your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft