Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nikolas van Etten 202 posts 162 karma points
    May 06, 2011 @ 10:32
    Nikolas van Etten

User generated image galleries

Anyone with experience on how to let users create galleries and upload images to them. It could be a 3rd part gallery with some sort of API, but the customer prefers that everything is done from within the site.

It needs to allow users to upload more than one image at the time in order to be efficient.

Anyone done something similar and wanting to share their thoughts?!

• Sam 184 posts 209 karma points
    May 06, 2011 @ 11:21
    Sam

Hi Nikolas,

First of all, gecko uploadify will allow you to upload multiple images, I use it all the time on my umbraco 4.7 installs.

I have made a gallery recently which I upload images into the media section.

Then, I can create a gallery page (with subpages if the gallery has sub sections). The gallery page then links to the actual list of images, each of which opens in a fancybox when clicked.

Can be done with a 3 x doctypes and 2 x xslt files. Also, I use the brilliant imagegen to resize the images.

Everything is controlled (making the gallery, choosing which thumbnails to use, size of thumbnails, size of full size images etc...) from within umbraco.

So yes, it can be done :)

Sam.

May 06, 2011 @ 11:28
    Nikolas van Etten

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply! Doing this within Umbraco is no problem, but my customer wants the user to add pictures without having any access to the Umbraco backend. So basically do it the same way a user adds images to a gallery with Facebook, Flickr or similar.

If Gecko Uploadify or a similar tool could be used from Contour it would get me a whole lot closer! ;)

Nik

May 06, 2011 @ 11:39
    May 06, 2011 @ 11:44
    Sam

Hi Nik,

What about uploading from the desktop, I've used this before and it's pretty handy.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/desktop-media-uploader

They would however need a username and password, but they could be a user with restricted privileges. Then the xslt could be changed to render images by going  through the media section rather than choosing an image folder in the content area.

Might work?!

Sam.

May 06, 2011 @ 11:53
    Nikolas van Etten

Hi Sam,

Yes it's absolutely an idea! I really love using the Desktop Media Uploader myself and it's as efficient as it can be. Only thing is that I also need to allow users to add a title for each image (too many things to consider).

Reading up on Gecko, the Uplodify plugin and Contour, I think I'll have to go at implementing it in a custom field.

Nik

May 06, 2011 @ 11:59
    Sam

Good luck ;)

I'd be interested to know how you achieved this once it's done.

Sam.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft