Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikkel Johansen 116 posts 292 karma points
    Oct 23, 2015 @ 12:08
    Mikkel Johansen

HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown

Can somebody verify my observations.

Setup: - Windows 10 Pro - Umbraco 7.3.0 (nuget installed) - Visual Studio 2013 - Database: Sql CE

It looks like that when I run the site from Visual Studio in Debug mode. The application stops randomly. I can't even get the Umbraco installer to finish.

If I run the site without the debug. The installation runs smoothly.

If I then run it in debug-mode again. I can do all the settings (doctypes, mediatypes, dataproperties etc.) and content. But when restarting the website a lot of the changes has been lost :-(

It looks like the bug that Microsoft introduced on Windows Server - KB3000850. But the patch is only for Windows Server 2012.

Has any body else seen this problem?

Here is some lines from the log - looks like something about events on filechanges - but my test i a totaly clean and fresh Umbraco

_shutDownMessage=CONFIG change
    CONFIG change
    HostingEnvironment forårsagede nedlukning

_shutDownStack=   ved System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       ved System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       ved System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
       ved System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
       ved System.Web.HttpRuntime.ShutdownAppDomain(String stackTrace)
       ved System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.OnConfigurationChanged(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
       ved System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigChanged(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
       ved System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.OnStreamChanged(String streamname)
       ved System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationHostFileChange.OnFileChanged(Object sender, FileChangeEvent e)
       ved System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.FireNotifications()
       ved System.Web.Util.WorkItem.CallCallbackWithAssert(WorkItemCallback callback)
       ved System.Web.Util.WorkItem.OnQueueUserWorkItemCompletion(Object state)
       ved System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
       ved System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       ved System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       ved System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       ved System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       ved System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 23, 2015 @ 12:16
    Shannon Deminick

That log indicates it's definitely not the same problem as the MS issue.

What are you running ? IISExpress, IIS or ?

From the logs CONFIG change in most cases always means an ASP.Net config change, so either web.config or the true asp.net config files in /Config folder.

Unfortunately I have not seen this issue before.

Oct 23, 2015 @ 12:19
    Mikkel Johansen

Plain out of the box Visual Studio Project = IIS Express

I could try and setup a local IIS to test if that solves the problem. But I have been using IIS Express and Visual Studio for several years (Windows 7 + 8) with no problems.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 23, 2015 @ 12:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I just had to try it now with the same configuration (VS13/IISExpress/SQL CE). And of course it "works on my machine". The config change is absolutely normal as we DO change the web.config during install, in my case it appeared 4 times.

So.. yeah, difficult to tell what's going wrong on your end, haven't heard this one before either. :)

Oct 23, 2015 @ 12:51
    Shannon Deminick

I use windows 10 + VS 2015 but was using 2013 up until a couple months ago and everything has been working fine... for the whole team so this seems super strange.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Oct 23, 2015 @ 22:33
    gary

Hi Mikkel

Have experienced many similar issues.

My trace log was not identical but similar indicating a config change, shutting down, restarting etc . . Experienced this on Windows 7 VS2015, then Windows 10 VS2015 with SQLCE and IIS Express.

Also suffered the same loss of data, although everything appeared to be "normal".

The config change was not the web.config, but umbraco.config. Through constant monitoring all was ok in the file, I made a deletion of a node and the umbraco config went to Chinese characters. Did a CTRL+Z to bring it back and noticed the encryption had changed from utf-8 to utf-16.

Checked the properties on the file and found the encryption was set to Western European (ISO). Changed this to utf-8 and immediately the umbraco config began to behave as expected and all of the stopping / starting disappeared from the trace log.

Have tried to "break it" by sorting, deleting, restoring but it will not, all seems ok.

In my case of the lost content, all the data was in the database including media, so was thinking it was an XML issue as it was doctypes and nodes that were missing, or not being saved.

Apologies for not having sufficient knowledge to explain how or why this can be, just hope it can help you.

I still have broken examples on my machine as well as a working one so if I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Regards

Gary

Oct 23, 2015 @ 23:16
    Mikkel Johansen

@Gary Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the application gets shutdown before umbraco.config is created.

@Sebastiaan and @Shannon Thanks for testing in your environment. I have now tried running the site my local IIS, but that didn't solve the problem.

Right now I thinking that I maybe have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 :-(

Oct 24, 2015 @ 01:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Right now I thinking that I maybe have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 :-(

No. I'm on Windows 10 and have been since Dec. 2014. It's not Windows related.

Oct 24, 2015 @ 00:41
    gary

Hi

Think this from my failed site trace log looks very similar.

enter image description here

In this fail I can pin point exactly where the umbraco config changed, from then on the project stops and restarts itself until this message.

Right now your umbraco config will look normal, because it has been rebuilt from the indexes to the state before you lost the data. It was only when I started to look after every update that i noticed the change.

If you can go back in the trace to the last content you created you may see that it has warnings like these.

But if this does not happen it may happen like this. This was when I uninstalled Fanoe and the umbraco config went to Chinese characters.

Then with no input from me, did this

Continued on to do this

It would appear that this can happen after the umbraco config has been written to, or before, depending on where the calls are made. If it calls after the previous write.

Just to say that this is VS2015 so the messages may be slightly different, but I do feel that it was too similar not to let you know a bit more detail.

Regards

Gary

Oct 24, 2015 @ 08:11
    gary

Hi

@Sebastiaan, what happens if you remove the root element of the umbraco.config? Then change the encryption in the properties to utf-16?

This is effectively what happened.

My simple understanding would be that Umbraco can no longer write to the file, hence the "cannot save now" warnings, but the doctypes etc remain while the current session is still open.

How this then transforms into a config change in the bin directory I have no clues.

All I can say is that setting the correct encryption of utf-8 on the file stopped all of this from happening. My current install is stable, still monitoring the umbraco.config, but not seeing any errors.

(Also occurred was the "XSRA ticket invalid" during this, but if that is connected I do not know, but knowing that both my username and password were correct, was locked out of the backend. I have built and broken about 8 installs and each time different issues have been raised.)

Regards

Gary

Oct 26, 2015 @ 08:36
    Shannon Deminick

These are all symptoms of constant app restarts... which should not be happening. Constant app restarts will of course cause problems since you'll have multiple app domains running at the same time jostling for access to your files.

Why do apps constantly restart? That's the magic question and in the last year we've seen some very strange things... like the issue that MS created with the KB3000850 patch.

To me, these issues sound/look very similar. Is the hard disk you are running these sites off of just a normal hard disk? are you running from a file share?

It would be worth having a read of a recent blog post I made: http://shazwazza.com/post/all-about-aspnet-file-change-notification-fcn/

Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:08
    Mikkel Johansen

@Shannon, one of the reasons I mentioned you in my Twitter-link to this forum-post. Was that I had looked at your blog post about the file-change-notification. And that it problem looks like the KB3000850 patch.

I'm running everything from a standard windows setup - normal hard disk - no VM or network share.

Maybe it could be a Windows 10 patch - I will look if my Windows 10 has been updated recently.

-Mikkel

Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:19
    gary

Hi

VS2015 has own IIS config for each project.

This morning, when I CTRL+F5 one project, two started at exactly the same time. So had two instances of IIS running at the same time and with the two browsers open they were constantly swapping, ie one was time locked out, then the other would open, then close while the other reopened.

Apparantly hitting F5 and debugging overwrites the VS config.

To solve I manually added both projects to the IIS config.

I understand you can change a global setting in the template but have not had chance to look.

Regards

Gary

Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:27
    Mikkel Johansen

Another observation: I have no problems running Umbraco version 7.2.x sites local.

I have only this strange app-restart when running 7.3 sites.

I have not tried with a clean 7.2.8 site - will do that later today

• Mikkel
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:29
    Shannon Deminick

That would certainly not be good if there's a new/similar issue in win 10. I don't seem to be able to replicate this issue though and I'm running win 10 with all latest updates.

I can try again but haven't seen these issues at all and I install/use Umbraco many times per day ;)

If you can determine if it's an update I would be very interested in the details and can also log the issue direct with MS if that is the case.

• Alessandro Curti 3 posts 73 karma points c-trib
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:46
    Alessandro Curti

Hi all,

i can confirm the exact same problem. I can't install Umbraco 7.3.0 using Nuget + VS2015 on Windows10: installation hangs up during database initialization (no table gets created). The same happens using VS2013.

But i can also confirm is machine related: using my collegue desktop (Windows 8.1 + VS2013 + standard Hdd) everything has gone smooth.

I also tried setting fcnMode="Single" in web.config httpRuntime tag but the issue remains.

I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro SSD drive, dunno if could be part of the problem.

Other side note: i'm installing against a SQL server 2012 R2 remote server.

Any clue?

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 13:53
    Sören Deger

Hi all,

exact same issue here (Install Umbraco 7.3.0 using Nuget, VS2015, Windows 10 Pro). After I have set debug to false, the installer runs.

Cheers, Sören

Oct 26, 2015 @ 16:19
    gary

Hi

Found this which may explain a little more

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31574063/visual-studio-2015-change-template-for-new-applicationhost-config

My issue occurred when I had 2 projects open yesterday.

Regards

Gary

• Michael Nielsen 153 posts 810 karma points
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 15:12
    Michael Nielsen

Exact same issue here also.

_shutDownMessage=CONFIG change

Umbraco 7.3.0 via NuGet

VS 2015 Community

Windows 10 Pro

One of my developers, who is running with the same setup, has no problems.

Oct 27, 2015 @ 15:57
    Mikkel Johansen

I have tried a version 7.2.8 but with same result :-(

Have also looked if my Windows 10 should have some patches installed regarding .NET, but it doesn't look like that.

-Mikkel

Oct 27, 2015 @ 16:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@mikkel does setting debug="false" help for you?

7.2.8 works fine on both my machines that have this problem for 7.3.0. I would either be more patient or post more logs, think that's a completely different problem. :)

Oct 27, 2015 @ 16:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just leaving this here for others to look at. I can repro on VS15 community edition. debug="false" : great! debug="true" : install never finishes.

Took a memorydump of the site (it's been using 13% CPU for 3 minutes). The CLRStack looks like this and one thing that jumps out at me is PetaPoco.ManagedCache being in this list, maybe that's a clue (I'll point Stéphane and Shannon to this thread):

0:009> !CLRStack
    OS Thread Id: 0x4cec (9)
    Child SP       IP Call Site
    06b2bbb4 7715f34c [InlinedCallFrame: 06b2bbb4] 
    06b2bbb0 70c37dfb DomainNeutralILStubClass.IL_STUB_PInvoke(Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeRegistryHandle, System.String, Int32[], Int32 ByRef, Char[], Int32 ByRef)
    06b2bbb4 70b88437 [InlinedCallFrame: 06b2bbb4] Microsoft.Win32.Win32Native.RegQueryValueEx(Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeRegistryHandle, System.String, Int32[], Int32 ByRef, Char[], Int32 ByRef)
    06b2bc34 70b88437 Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.InternalGetValue(System.String, System.Object, Boolean, Boolean)
    06b2bc90 70b97cf7 Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.GetValue(System.String, System.Object, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueOptions)
    06b2bcac 7009579e System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.FindCustomCategory(System.String, System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategoryType ByRef)
    06b2bd04 700969dc System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.IsCustomCategory(System.String, System.String)
    06b2bd24 7009b736 System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()
    06b2bd58 7009abe0 System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
    06b2bd7c 645662ae *** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for System.Runtime.Caching.ni.dll
    System.Runtime.Caching.PerfCounters.InitDisposableMembers(System.String)
    06b2bdac 64566477 System.Runtime.Caching.PerfCounters..ctor(System.String)
    06b2bdbc 6456495c System.Runtime.Caching.MemoryCache.InitDisposableMembers(System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection)
    06b2bdf8 64564e92 System.Runtime.Caching.MemoryCache.Init(System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection)
    06b2be08 64564df3 System.Runtime.Caching.MemoryCache..ctor(System.String, System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection)
    06b2be1c 2936dbf6 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database+ManagedCache..cctor()
    06b2bf94 72681376 [GCFrame: 06b2bf94] 
    06b2c474 72681376 [HelperMethodFrame: 06b2c474] 
    06b2c500 2936dbb7 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database+ManagedCache.GetCache()
    06b2c504 2936dae4 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database+PocoData.GetFactory(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Int32, Int32, System.Data.IDataReader)
    06b2c534 2936bb5c Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database+d__7`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib]].MoveNext()
    06b2c564 70b9cd4e System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1)
    06b2c598 6eed82eb System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[[System.__Canon, mscorlib]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1)
    06b2c5ac 2936b93d Umbraco.Core.Persistence.SqlSyntax.SqlCeSyntaxProvider.GetDefinedIndexes(Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database)
    06b2c5c0 2936b662 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Migrations.Initial.DatabaseSchemaCreation.ValidateSchema()
    06b2c604 2936b2c8 Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext.ValidateDatabaseSchema()
    06b2c62c 2936b115 Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext.get_IsUpgrading()
    06b2c638 2936afe8 Umbraco.Web.Security.Identity.AppBuilderExtensions.ConfigureUserManagerForUmbracoBackOffice(Owin.IAppBuilder, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext, Umbraco.Core.Security.MembershipProviderBase)
    06b2c650 29368bcb Umbraco.Web.UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup.Configuration(Owin.IAppBuilder)
    06b2c960 72681376 [DebuggerU2MCatchHandlerFrame: 06b2c960] 
    06b2c738 72681376 [HelperMethodFrame_PROTECTOBJ: 06b2c738] System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
    06b2c9fc 70c2118d System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
    06b2ca20 70c20d16 System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(System.Object, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
    06b2ca54 29368b63 Owin.Loader.DefaultLoader+c__DisplayClass12.b__b(Owin.IAppBuilder)
    06b2ca6c 29368adc Owin.Loader.DefaultLoader+c__DisplayClass1.b__0(Owin.IAppBuilder)
    06b2ca84 29368940 Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinHttpModule+c__DisplayClass2.b__0(Owin.IAppBuilder)
    06b2ca98 29367f2f Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinAppContext.Initialize(System.Action`1)
    06b2cacc 29367929 Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinBuilder.Build(System.Action`1)
    06b2cadc 2936674f Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinHttpModule.InitializeBlueprint()
    06b2caf0 713cfea4 System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore[[System.__Canon, mscorlib]](System.__Canon ByRef, Boolean ByRef, System.Object ByRef, System.Func`1)
    06b2cb30 2936668b Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinHttpModule.Init(System.Web.HttpApplication)
    06b2cb44 65c3cfef *** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for System.Web.ni.dll
    System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr, System.Web.HttpContext, System.Reflection.MethodInfo[])
    06b2cb94 65c3cba9 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(System.Web.HttpApplicationState, System.Reflection.MethodInfo[], IntPtr, System.Web.HttpContext)
    06b2cbcc 65c3fa65 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr, System.Web.HttpContext)
    06b2cc10 65c3e971 System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr)
    06b2cc44 6627da52 DomainNeutralILStubClass.IL_STUB_COMtoCLR(Int32)
    06b2cd10 72681739 [ContextTransitionFrame: 06b2cd10] 
    06b2cf14 72681739 [ComMethodFrame: 06b2cf14] 

Oct 27, 2015 @ 16:17
    Mikkel Johansen

@Sebastiaan

If I run with-out debug (debug=false or ctrl+F5) the install completes. But then the application just stops when the backend of Umbraco is loaded.

the last lines of the logfile:

2015-10-27 17:13:07,114 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Core.Media.IImageUrlProvider, found 1 (took 0ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,755 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext - [P19064/T1/D4] CanConnect = True
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,771 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Cache.CacheRefresherEventHandler - [P19064/T1/D4] Initializing Umbraco internal event handlers for cache refreshing
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,796 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Search.ExamineEvents - [P19064/T1/D4] Initializing Examine and binding to business logic events
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,840 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Search.ExamineEvents - [P19064/T1/D4] Adding examine event handlers for index providers: 3
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,845 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Umbraco application startup complete (took 899ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,940 [27] INFO  umbraco.content - [P19064/T1/D4] Load Xml from file...
    2015-10-27 17:13:07,940 [27] INFO  umbraco.content - [P19064/T1/D4] Loaded Xml from file.
    2015-10-27 17:13:08,301 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext - [P19064/T1/D4] ApplicationUrl: http://localhost:64613/umbraco (UmbracoModule request)
    2015-10-27 17:13:10,970 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Core.PropertyEditors.IParameterEditor
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,008 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Core.PropertyEditors.IParameterEditor, found 44 (took 37ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,706 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,713 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController, found 4 (took 7ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,737 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of umbraco.interfaces.ITree
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,745 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of umbraco.interfaces.ITree, found 35 (took 8ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,757 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,757 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController, found 4 (took 0ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,758 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of umbraco.interfaces.ITree
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,766 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of umbraco.interfaces.ITree, found 19 (took 7ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,777 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of umbraco.interfaces.IApplication
    2015-10-27 17:13:11,788 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of umbraco.interfaces.IApplication, found 7 (took 10ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:12,075 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper
    2015-10-27 17:13:12,076 [27] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [P19064/T1/D4] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper, found 23 (took 0ms)
    2015-10-27 17:13:29,740 [14] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [P19064/T1/D2] Application shutdown. Reason: ConfigurationChange
    2015-10-27 17:13:34,562 [23] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [P19064/T1/D3] Application shutdown. Reason: ConfigurationChange

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 16:21
    Stephen

@Sebastiaan : thanks for that memory dump. Using 13% CPU means 100% of one core, ie one thread is gone into an infinite something. This rings a bell and it has occured on my machine too, but I thought I was the only one.

It usually happen when I attach a debugger to IIS (real IIS), run & debug the site (hit breakpoints etc) then detach the debugger and restart the AppDomain. Attaching a debugger again shows this runaway thread doing exactly what you have in your stack trace.

I think it started shortly after I installed version 4.6 of the .NET framework and I am tempted to believe it is related. My machine is Windows 8.1 and at that time I used Visual Studio 2013. Remember Windows 10 comes with .NET 4.6.

Will look into it...

Oct 28, 2015 @ 23:13
    Mikkel Johansen

@Stephen that's exactly what I experience. When the application shutsdown (according to the TraceLog.log) the IIS Express is using 15-20 % cpu load.

-Mikkel

Oct 28, 2015 @ 07:45
    gary

Hi

Created new project, F5 produced this

Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoaderLock' has detected a problem in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe'.

Additional information: Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initialization function since doing so can cause the application to hang.

Hit continue and project ran. Stopped debugging and accepted changes to configs etc and umbraco.config was once again in Chinese and encryption changed to unicode.

Regards

Gary

• Arturo Soler 24 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 09:04
    Arturo Soler

First and to for those who currently have the problem: It is enough to run once with debug = false. Umbraco is initialized and can begin work, even with debug = true

Secondly, to help Sebastian and those who are trying to solve the problem: Each time the fault occurs I see the Windows event ID 2264 Source IIS Express with text:

The directory specified for caching compressed content C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\iisexpress\IIS Temporary Compressed Files\Clr4IntegratedAppPool is invalid. Static compression is being disabled.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 09:31
    Mikkel Johansen

@Arturo I have the problem all the time, with or without debug-mode.

As I wrote to Sebastiaan: "If I run with-out debug (debug=false or ctrl+F5) the install completes. But then the application just stops when the backend of Umbraco is loaded."

It looks like that when-ever a change is made to a file in for example App_Data like umbraco.config or umbraco.sdf the Application shutsdown.

-Mikkel

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2017 @ 18:39
    Mark Bowser

I'm having your problem with Umbraco 7.5.9 on my windows 10.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just tried on VS13 as well and can repro there too. The new project is started as a .net 4.5.1 project. I'll try targeting the project at 4.6 as well but it shouldn't matter as Umbraco was built against 4.5. I'll experiment with a build of Umbraco that was built against 4.6 as well, maybe that will help.

@Arturo which log in events log is that? I can't find that error in my logs but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:25
    gary

Some success

have edited the applicationhost.config;

and changed to

<section name="httpCompression" overrideModeDefault="Allow" />

from

<section name="httpCompression" allowDefinition="AppHostOnly" overrideModeDefault="Deny" />

Hit F5, no problem, stopped debugging and reloaded site, no problem with CTRL+F5.

No config changes, no site restarting no umbraco.config issues.

Point to note - I had 2 sites open and running in IISExpress, when I debug, the other stops completely and so when refresh the page you get the time out lock. Restart the project and hit CTRL+F5 worked fine.

Regards

Gary

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:30
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just a question for all of you on Windows 10, are you on the fast ring? It's a bit suspicious that this started failing the day that build 10565 was released.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:34
    Mikkel Johansen

@Sebastiaan "fast ring" ?

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

"fast ring" as in: did you install the update last week that made your windows turn into version 10565? Do you have this watermark on you desktop?

• Alessandro Curti 3 posts 73 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 12:10
    Alessandro Curti

Same here, Win 10 build 10240.

I will try the applicationhost.config trick and I'll report here later.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:38
    Mikkel Johansen

I'm on standard Windows 10 build 10240

Windows Update is NOT on edge/preview mode

Oct 28, 2015 @ 11:52
    Arturo Soler

@Sebastiaan:

1. At the application log of Windows Event Viewer
    2. Windows 10, build 10240

@Mikkel

In my case I have not problems after Umbraco Setup with debug=false. I created multiple views and document types without losing when I recycled the pool. (I hope it stays that way)

It may be because I did not use a starter kit (more simple setup) or because I changed from IIS Express to local IIS after Umbraco Setup.

@Both I'm testing scenarios, I hope to bring something more this afternoon

• Guido Adam 21 posts 65 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 13:19
    Guido Adam

Here also on Win 10, normal build. VS2013. Experience the same shutdowns (on configchange).

Also IIS (just) warnings in Eventviewer about invalid directory for caching compressed content. These are not (dont seem to be) raised at the same moment the IIS shutdown occurs.

This is the first project on this Win 10 machine with U7.3.0. and also the first time experiencing this behaviour.

Note: I'm using a custom Lucene searchprovider on this project, which reads/writes in the app_data folder.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 13:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yeah unfortunately I think Mikkel is suffering from an additional issue as everybody else is having no problem installing with debug="false".

Alright, so it's not the recent windows update then, too bad! The search continues..

Oct 28, 2015 @ 14:12
    gary

Hi

After some research, have deleted the app_offline.htm file and inserted a folder with the same name.

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14

That stops it from being produced, it only lasts for a second then is removed, but every time, it needs to restart iis.

It would appear that it is produced when only certain files or folders are written to, hence it's non-consistent appearance. (Not enough research to be sure about exactly what)

Think it is 2 issues, the compressed caching and the app_offline, but for the moment my fresh install has not stopped and restarted, although it did before this change.

Regards

Gary

Oct 28, 2015 @ 15:39
    gary

Ok, more . . .

Big test, installed a package - no app_offline errors, but lots, 3 in fact config changes and shutdown/restart.

It would appear that Shannon wrote about this very issue in 2012,

http://shazwazza.com/post/taming-the-buildmanager-aspnet-temp-files-and-appdomain-restarts/

So, if we can find where this setting is now housed, perhaps we can all get on with stuff?

Please someone help find this setting.

Cheers

Gary

Oct 28, 2015 @ 15:43
    Arturo Soler

I'm surprised: Now at this time I can install an empty site, (i.e. without starter kit) with debug = true. But yesterday I could not install Umbraco with or without starter kit unless I established debug=false.

What have I done? I do not know.

Yes, I created the "%TEMP%\iisexpress\IIS Temporary Compressed Files" directory ". But now if I rename this directory the installation without starter kit works also. I've also changed some parameters of the cache but I again leave well enough alone.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 15:44
    Shannon Deminick

Before we look to 'band-aid' fix this, we need to know why it is suddenly doing this. This has never happened before and only some people can replicate it on their machines.

This leads me to believe that it is something to do with a combination of either windows updates, .Net frameworks, VS updates, etc...

Oct 28, 2015 @ 18:10
    gary

Hi Shannon

The optimizeCompilations setting used to be in the .net version config file. This config no longer exists in the .net version file, so must have been moved to the project somewhere.

The IIS applicationHost file has been moved into the project too, but can be found by right clicking the IIS icon in the Windows tray.

From what I have read, will say briefly on the new set up, the VS project is much more self-contained and to that end where you could overwrite a "global setting" ie do it once then forget about it, now each project has it's own config, good or bad.

If I install Sir Trevor, the IIS stops, then restarts 3 times due to configuration change. My suggestion is that is 2 folders in AppCode and one in AppPlugins, this then gives 3 updates to the hash file.

Will continue trying to find it to see if it can be resolved, any pointers will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Gary

Oct 28, 2015 @ 18:14
    Shannon Deminick

As far as restarts go, you can adjust the timeout that ASP.Net uses to monitor file changes using waitChangeNotification and maxWaitChangeNotification settings, see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641(v=vs.85).aspx

Though I don't think this is the issue. If app domain restarts are concurring over and over again then it's an underlying issue that needs to be determined.

Oct 28, 2015 @ 18:27
    gary

Just found this line in the web.config

<compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true" targetFramework="4.5" optimizeCompilations="true" />

So, you're right, it's something else.

Oct 29, 2015 @ 15:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

As an update, there is something weird going on in .NET framework that we're working around for 7.3.1 for now. We tested this on a few machines now and it immediately alleviates the issue.

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/commit/0d29e1438cca7a2bd1bce19d6824931acb066d99

So make sure to revert all of your workarounds, you should be fine when running 7.3.1! :-)

After that's released we'll dive in some deeper to see if we can get a better fix in.

Nov 02, 2015 @ 09:44
    Mikkel Johansen

Hi Sebastiaan

Seems to work with 7.3.1 :-)

-Mikkel

Oct 29, 2015 @ 17:29
    gary

@Sebastiaan, many thanks, will head over there now.

A couple more observations for you;

Created project with MVC template instead of the "empty". Under same test of installing and uninstalling packages ie writing to app folders this project performed much better, not throwing errors or warnings. Although it did shutdown and restart app pool when writing to the app folders, it was "normal".

In the empty project, the error or rather what was causing the shutdown restart on an ad hoc basis was Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule returning a 404. This was always present just before.

The file structure of the two projects is very different, the MVC being very similar to the "usual". This 404 did not appear in the MVC project and if the app restart only occurs when you write to the app folders, it doesn't seem like a big issue.

Found Dan Diplo's Trace Log viewer a great help being able to sort and compare the two projects.

Thanks again

Gary

Nov 02, 2015 @ 11:03
    gary

Hi

Works, then doesn't work, it's not Umbraco in my opinion.

Seems to be a Microsoft Powershell issue, others are experiencing elsewhere with VS. It's not limited to Umbraco nor SQLCE.

Applying some workarounds to see if it has any effect

G

Nov 02, 2015 @ 18:22
    Shannon Deminick

Hi All, Stephen has blogged about what the issue is here:

http://www.zpqrtbnk.net/posts/appdomains-threads-cultureinfos-and-paracetamol

It's pretty crazy but the underlying issue is that OWIN needs to be fixed. We've made a temp fix in 7.3.1 but we'll make a better one in 7.3.2 and hopefully get the attention of an OWIN dev.

Nov 12, 2015 @ 20:10
    gary

Hi All

SOLVED

Turned off AVAST

All, I mean all disappeared, same tests, no config stops.

Plus, how fast is the backend? Loaded the same package in about 20% of the time.

I have fcn=disabled in the config, but it made no difference, then came across this

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tess/archive/2008/05/14/asp-net-performance-issue-large-number-of-application-restarts-due-to-virus-scanning.aspx

It's identical, turned off Avast and, yep, all gone away.

Regards

Gary

Nov 13, 2015 @ 12:43
    Shannon Deminick

Nice one @gary! Really glad you've discovered the issue you were having, that's great news.

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 18:25
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

I am starting to this error too, when installing Umbraco, where the install fails... though it seems, it does install Umbraco and the Fanoe starterkit.

It seems to happens both for Umbraco 7.4.0 and 7.3.6 ...

It happens both when building from latest changes at Github or just installing from the latest build (2752) https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Umbraco/umbraco-cms-hs8dx/build/artifacts

I am running Windows 10 and running Umbraco through WebMatrix (IIS express).

I haven't had this issue before, so I am not sure if it is causes by some of the latest changes to Umbraco or a Windows update.

The log show this error

_shutDownMessage=Ændringsbeskeder for kritiske mapper.
    bin dir change or directory rename
    Change in C:\Users\Bjarne\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\e07e4f7f\646eabb\hash\hash.web
    Change in C:\Users\Bjarne\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\e07e4f7f\646eabb\hash\hash.web
    HostingEnvironment forårsagede nedlukning

_shutDownStack=   ved System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, 

Boolean needFileInfo)
       ved System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       ved System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
       ved System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
       ved System.Web.HttpRuntime.ShutdownAppDomain(String stackTrace)
       ved System.Web.HttpRuntime.OnCriticalDirectoryChange(Object sender, FileChangeEvent e)
       ved System.Web.FileChangesMonitor.OnCriticaldirChange(Object sender, FileChangeEvent e)
       ved System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.FireNotifications()
       ved System.Web.Util.WorkItem.CallCallbackWithAssert(WorkItemCallback callback)
       ved System.Web.Util.WorkItem.OnQueueUserWorkItemCompletion(Object state)
       ved System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
       ved System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       ved System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       ved System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       ved System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       ved System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

/Bjarne

Feb 01, 2016 @ 07:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Bjarne can you zip up a failed install (including database) and send it to me ([email protected]) so I can have a look at what's missing?

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 11:04
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

@Sebastiaan I have send you a mail with some info and a link to a zip of the failed install. The database is just SQL CE.

/Bjarne

• René 327 posts 852 karma points
    May 09, 2016 @ 11:35
    René

HI

Did anyone find the issue and solution on this.

I have the exact same problem.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/77110-umbraco-74-run-on-httplocalhost55941

René

• Bojan 16 posts 131 karma points
    Jan 12, 2017 @ 15:13
    Bojan

OMG, fu** antivirus (ESET File Security for Microsoft Windows Server) was touching some files which trigger app restart.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tess/2008/05/14/asp-net-performance-issue-large-number-of-application-restarts-due-to-virus-scanning/

Thanks @gary!

Feb 08, 2017 @ 18:54
    Mark Bowser

I'm running into what sounds like the exact problem that everyone is talking about except it is just happening to me now that I'm upgrading from umbraco 7.4.3 to umbraco 7.5.9. I have Windows 10 installed. I'm running the site through IIS (not IIS Express via Visual Studio).

I have disabled the antivirus on my computer and tried running the site with debug="false". I've tried building the project in release mode and in debug mode. I put log4net in Debug mode, so I could get some more heavy logging. Here's what I noticed on every page load of the /install/ path when I am trying to upgrade. This happens whether I try to actually use the upgrade wizard or not. I can just refresh the page over and over to cause this over and over if I want to. Here is an abridged version of my logs for a single page load. It doesn't always restart twice like this time, but it always runs through the whole application starting on DESKTOP-QCARS32 twice before shutting down.

line 1: Umbraco 7.5.9 application starting on DESKTOP-QCARS32
    line 2: 2017-02-07 15:32:37,192 [P27068/D2/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Determining hash of code files on disk
    line 3: 2017-02-07 15:32:37,200 [P27068/D2/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Hash determined (took 8ms)
    line 4: 2017-02-07 15:32:37,259 [P27068/D2/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Acquiring MainDom...
    line 5: 2017-02-07 15:32:37,261 [P27068/D2/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Acquired MainDom.
    line 433: 2017-02-07 15:32:40,351 [P27068/D2/T12] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Signaled (environment).
    line 434: 2017-02-07 15:32:40,351 [P27068/D2/T12] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Stopping...
    line 435: 2017-02-07 15:32:40,351 [P27068/D2/T12] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Stopped.
    line 436: 2017-02-07 15:32:40,351 [P27068/D2/T12] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Released MainDom.
    line 437: 2017-02-07 15:32:43,947 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager - Umbraco 7.5.9 application starting on DESKTOP-QCARS32
    line 438: 2017-02-07 15:32:43,974 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Determining hash of code files on disk
    line 439: 2017-02-07 15:32:43,984 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Hash determined (took 10ms)
    line 440: 2017-02-07 15:32:44,037 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Acquiring MainDom...
    line 441: 2017-02-07 15:32:44,038 [P27068/D2/T10] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Signaled (again) (signal).
    line 442: 2017-02-07 15:32:44,039 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Acquired MainDom.
    line 443: 2017-02-07 15:32:44,049 [P27068/D3/T1] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Starting resolution types of umbraco.interfaces.IApplicationStartupHandler
    line 872: 2017-02-07 15:32:46,900 [P27068/D3/T16] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Signaled (environment).
    line 873: 2017-02-07 15:32:46,900 [P27068/D3/T16] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Stopping...
    line 874: 2017-02-07 15:32:46,900 [P27068/D3/T16] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Stopped.
    line 875: 2017-02-07 15:32:46,900 [P27068/D3/T16] INFO  Umbraco.Core.MainDom - Released MainDom.
    line 876: 2017-02-07 15:32:47,095 [P27068/D3/T14] INFO  Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext - CanConnect = True
    line 877: 2017-02-07 15:32:47,105 [P27068/D3/T14] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper
    line 878: 2017-02-07 15:32:47,106 [P27068/D3/T14] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Loaded plugin types Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper with resolution FindTypesWithAttribute from persisted cache
    line 879: 2017-02-07 15:32:47,106 [P27068/D3/T14] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Caching of typelist for type Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper and resolution FindTypesWithAttribute was successful = True
    line 880: 2017-02-07 15:32:47,106 [P27068/D3/T14] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Mappers.BaseMapper, found 0 (took 1ms)
    line 881: 2017-02-07 15:33:10,368 [P27068/D2/T12] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: ConfigurationChange
    line 882: 
    line 883: _shutDownMessage=CONFIG change
    line 884: HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown
    line 885: CONFIG change
    line 886: CONFIG change
    line 887: CONFIG change
    line 888: HostingEnvironment caused shutdown
    line 889: 
    line 890: _shutDownStack=   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    line 891:    at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
    line 892:    at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
    line 893:    at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
    line 894:    at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ShutdownAppDomain(String stackTrace)
    line 895:    at System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.OnConfigurationChanged(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
    line 896:    at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigChanged(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
    line 897:    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.OnStreamChanged(String streamname)
    line 898:    at System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.FireNotifications()
    line 899:    at System.Web.Util.WorkItem.CallCallbackWithAssert(WorkItemCallback callback)
    line 900:    at System.Web.Util.WorkItem.OnQueueUserWorkItemCompletion(Object state)
    line 901:    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    line 902:    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    line 903:    at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
    line 904:    at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
    line 905:  2017-02-07 15:33:16,912 [P27068/D3/T16] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: ConfigurationChange
    line 906: 
    line 907: _shutDownMessage=CONFIG change
    line 908: HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown
    line 909: CONFIG change
    line 910: HostingEnvironment caused shutdown
    line 911: 
    line 912: _shutDownStack=   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    line 913:    at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
    line 914:    at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
    line 915:    at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
    line 916:    at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ShutdownAppDomain(String stackTrace)
    line 917:    at System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.OnConfigurationChanged(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
    line 918:    at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigChanged(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
    line 919:    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.OnStreamChanged(String streamname)
    line 920:    at System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.FireNotifications()
    line 921:    at System.Web.Util.WorkItem.CallCallbackWithAssert(WorkItemCallback callback)
    line 922:    at System.Web.Util.WorkItem.OnQueueUserWorkItemCompletion(Object state)
    line 923:    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    line 924:    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    line 925:    at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
    line 926:    at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Also, I don't have a App_Data/cache folder, so there aren't a zillion imageprocessor files. In fact, I have temporarily deleted all of our custom indexes, so no folders will be created for those. Basically, all of the places where zillions of folders could be created have been temporarily removed. This has not affected what I'm seeing in the logs. Also setting fcnMode="NotSet" doesn't change the app shutdowns due to config changes either.

Feb 08, 2017 @ 21:40
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Mark,

Very interesting. I'm don't really see how the change from 7.4.3 to 7.5.9 would make any difference - it could be a win update or something else. Can you do me a favor and test a few things?

• Test a brand new Umbraco site with your same setup and see if the problem occurs
    • If you have a backup of your site, test it with your same setup on your previous 7.4.3 version
    • Can you tell me what your specific version of Windows 10 is?
    • Do you have backup software running? (i.e. anything like CrashPlan, etc..?)
    Feb 08, 2017 @ 23:24
    Mark Bowser
    • I am able to install and run a vanilla 7.5.9 site without any trouble
    • I am able to run the site in its 7.4.3 state before I try to upgrade without problems
    • Windows 10 Pro - Version: 1607 - OS Build: 14393.693
    • There is no backup software running. No Carbonite or anything like that
    Feb 08, 2017 @ 23:30
    Shannon Deminick

Thanks Mark! Definitely some odd stuff here - It will probably be something with FCN, it always is and I'm getting really really sick of FCN and can't understand why MS has chosen to make this far more difficult than it needs to be.

Can you try in your 7.5.9 site that has this problem:

• in /config/imageprocessor/cache.config, add an attribute trimCache="false" to the <cache element - then see if that resolves the issue
    • if that doesn't, change fcnModel="Disabled" in your web.config (is probably set to "Single" currently) - then see if that resolves the issue
  • Josué González 17 posts 110 karma points
    May 12, 2017 @ 21:26
    Josué González

Hello, good day to everyone.

I have read the comments about this topic. I'm having the same problem.

It appears that the Umbraco application stops the IIS process. I have installed umbraco 7.5.9

2017-05-11 16:49:10,128 [P8336/D62/T84] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: ConfigurationChange

_shutDownMessage=IIS configuration change
    HostingEnvironment caused shutdown

_shutDownStack=   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
       at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.StopProcessing()

Is there a solution? Please someone could tell me how to solve this problem.

2017-05-12 12:33:02,247 [P3460/D2/T17] INFO  Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - Application shutdown. Details: HostingEnvironment    

_shutDownMessage=HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown
    HostingEnvironment caused shutdown    
        _shutDownStack=   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
           at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
           at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownInternal()
           at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.InitiateShutdownWithoutDemand()
           at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.StopProcessing()
           at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)
           at System.Web.Hosting.UnsafeIISMethods.MgdIndicateCompletion(IntPtr pHandler, RequestNotificationStatus& notificationStatus)
           at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationHelper(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)
           at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.ProcessRequestNotification(IntPtr rootedObjectsPointer, IntPtr nativeRequestContext, IntPtr moduleData, Int32 flags)

Help me Please... thanks.

May 15, 2017 @ 02:11
    Shannon Deminick

"IIS configuration change" is specifically the Microsoft bug in Windows Server 2012 : http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338

You are running an old version, you should update to the latest immediately, there's plenty fixed since your version including fixes specifically for some particular shutdown problems: https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/compare?from=7.5.9&to=7.5.13

• Josué González 17 posts 110 karma points
    May 15, 2017 @ 15:08
    Josué González

Thank you. I am reviewing the information provided. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

Greetings ... And many thanks for the help.

• Hiren Oza 15 posts 87 karma points
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 13:06
    Hiren Oza

Hello,

I'm having same issue(HostingEnvironment initiated shutdown).

I'm using Umbraco 7.3.0 for my application and there is no any issue with 7.3.0.

I am trying to upgrade version to 7.7.0. But it is giving error.

Then I tried 7.6.11 and my application upgraded to 7.6.11 successfully.

I also tried to upgrade 7.7.0 in brand new Umbraco 7.3.0 application but still having the same problem.

Any idea/suggestion?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft