Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ran Chen 40 posts 117 karma points
    Aug 31, 2015 @ 21:47
    Ran Chen

Full Umbraco website backup

I have a client website running on godaddy shared hosting.

I would like to create a backup copy of the website so I could recover in case of emergency.

My question: If I'll have a back up copy of : a - database (sql server) b - full website files and folder

Would it be enough for site recovery in case something happens ?

I mean will be able to re-upload the site structure, run and sql recovery from backup and that would be it ?

(I do also have some installed plugins)

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 07:33
    Steve Morgan

In general yes.

Safest thing to do would be to test process and create a local copy on your dev machine as a local site. You may need to clear the cache after. Usually logging into Umbraco and republishing the entire site from the root node will achieve this.

I've supported some sites with some custom search indexing (made by other devs) which have also required me to delete the indexes in the app-data folder too. Basically give it a go and see if you get any errors!

Hope that helps.

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 08:27
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Hi Ran

On shared hosting you usually don't have the option to use the "backup database" item in the right-click context menu in SQL Server Management Studio, because you often not is set as owner or don't have permission to write to the backup directory ..

but you can use the "Generate Scripts" menu item, just make sure both to generate scripts for Schema and data .. by default I think it is set to Schema only.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2011/05/07/sql-server-2008-2008-r2-create-script-to-copy-database-schema-and-all-the-objects-data-schema-stored-procedure-functions-triggers-tables-views-constraints-and-all-other-database-objects/

After you have made a copy of the website folder and generated a sql script of the database, you can try to restore it locally to ensure you have backup of all the content.

/Bjarne

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 15:11
    Matt Taylor

If you have the database and all the files and folders than that's everything you need for a backup.

I recently had a client that bought a GoDaddy shared hosting and we had to ditch it because I couldn't restore the SQL database to the server.

They enable backups but they don't provide the option to upload a .bak file and restore it, for security reasons I believe.

Instead you have to connect to their SQL server with Management Studio and perform and export/import of all the tables etc. I couldn't get the site to work after trying that so ditched GoDaddy.

• Ran Chen 40 posts 117 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 15:20
    Ran Chen

I guess godaddy does have their sql backup option. Just in case, I've made a local copy of the remote database using the Management Studio.

Thanks

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 15:30
    Matt Taylor

Let me know if you ever figure out how to restore the database. ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft